Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819289 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8460 on: November 16, 2011, 02:00:13 pm »

I RP it to the point that I make stereotypical ships and decisions. But that's about it. What are you going to RP? Some immortal person secrelty making the desicions for the entire race?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: November 16, 2011, 02:03:02 pm »

I think most do, because...well....there's no "win" condition. Unless you hit the max number of systems, so that there was no more space left to explore, and you'd exterminated or enslaved every other form of sentient life in the galaxy. And the database is far more likely to have derped itself to death before that.

ninjaedit: There's plenty to RP. Take a look at the small handful of Aurora fics I've done up for one of my games. (I really need to get around to writing the next several bits...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: November 16, 2011, 02:57:54 pm »

Without sufficient wealth, you can't run your industry, shipyards, anything. It is the only limit that can't be SMed away, and is a pain to keep up with early on unless you use a trick like this.

Well that is odd. I must have been lucky in every game I have played because I have never had problems running any industry or shipyards and I never made any luxury ships.
Ditto. Economy almost seems to be superfluous in my games, as I regularly wind up with hundreds of thousands of 'credits' piling up in the first few decades. Maybe it's because I tend to expand pretty slow? My labs are in constant full use, and if I have the Mercassium, I'm constantly adding more. I even buy the mineral output of every CMC that pops up.  ???

Yeah, if you aren't a really aggressive expansionist, you generally won't run into problems. But if you're like me and constantly using all industrial, research, and ordinance points while also keeping up a steady stream of ground forces, ships, and upgrading all of your shipyards at the same time, for your entire game, you will usually be running on a deficit until you have a lot of civilian ships generating income, which can take upwards of a decade without exploit ships.

So you're complaining that it can't be SMed away because you don't want to SM it away? :p

Seriously, just RP it as you switching to a war economy, or your government printing money.

When I still was playing around with SM to make things easier, I had a bit of a thing about "I'm going to make it easier, but not autowin", so I would do things like adding minerals to planets and giving myself a bit of extra research and ships beyond the recommended limits, but wouldn't do things like adding dozens of dreadnaughts to my fleet, or SMing in hundreds of installations, or adding minerals directly to my stockpiles. I was trying to learn how to play properly with a bit of help to give me a boost, rather than teaching myself how to have fun with autowin. Sort of like the difference between giving myself a few thousand extra starting resources in AoE II as opposed to making my units invincible, my structures instabuild, and giving myself an army of machine gun cobras. So basically me being obsessive over how much I cheated.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8463 on: November 16, 2011, 03:11:31 pm »

Yes you are more likely to hit money problems if you intensively research the improved construction/mining/shipbuilding/research/terraforming rates early as the costs are per unit of research/production/etc and as each installation will be producing more units your expenditure shoots up.

Playing with maintainance on and extensively using maintainance facilities can also result in a fairly large expenditure that you may not be anticipating if you have previously played with it off.

Also PCWorld just did a review of aurora - PCWorld review. Go take a look as the reviewer(who has also reviewed DF -linky) has commented over on the aurora forums that the more people that look at these types of reviews, the more likely they are to be assigned to review other similar games rather than defrag tool 9002.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: November 16, 2011, 03:24:14 pm »

I just designed another challenge for my civilian shipping lines:

Code: [Select]
Atlas class Superfreighter    1,250,000 tons     10465 Crew     24873.2 BP      TCS 25000  TH 30000  EM 0
1200 km/s     Armour 1-1033     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 20     PPV 0
MSP 249    Max Repair 50 MSP
Cargo 1000000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5000   

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.6 (150)    Power 200    Fuel Use 6%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 5,000,000 Litres    Range 120.0 billion km   (1157 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Any bets on how many weeks it takes them to get the first one out of the yards?

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: November 16, 2011, 03:25:50 pm »

My guess is at least 5 years.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: November 16, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »

It took them all of 12 days to get a 170,000 ton freighter built when I first designed it for them years ago, and my main line has around 500,000 wealth at the moment. Based on that standard, it should take around 12.6 weeks for them to complete this, but since civilian shipyards aren't observable, I'm going to guess closer to 6 months to give them time to decide to build it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: November 16, 2011, 03:43:06 pm »

I don't think civies got shipyards. They just pop their ships out of nowhere.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »

Yes you are more likely to hit money problems if you intensively research the improved construction/mining/shipbuilding/research/terraforming rates early as the costs are per unit of research/production/etc and as each installation will be producing more units your expenditure shoots up.

Of course, researching the wealth increase technologies and building financial centers can help to mitigate these problems... as is often the case with expanding empires, either you have to work to keep a solid financial base at home, or you soon find yourself unable to support your empire. :-)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:54 pm »

Actually, IIRC, Steve mentioned on the official forums that they have shipyards, but that they are completely invisible to the player, so for all practical intents and purposes, their ships do appear from nowhere. CBA to find the post, though.

3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8470 on: November 16, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »

Of course, researching the wealth increase technologies and building financial centers can help to mitigate these problems... as is often the case with expanding empires, either you have to work to keep a solid financial base at home, or you soon find yourself unable to support your empire. :-)

Indeed, the most frequent time for you to get hit by a cash shortage is as you have just about mined out earth/sol and are starting to build finance centers to take advantage of the freed up population.

Actually, IIRC, Steve mentioned on the official forums that they have shipyards, but that they are completely invisible to the player, so for all practical intents and purposes, their ships do appear from nowhere. CBA to find the post, though.

I seem to recall that as well, however that was the justification for why they are not taking up space in your shipyards to build their ships and it wasn't clear that mechanically they have actual shipyards that they are built in rather than being popped out at random as long as the shipping company has funds/sees a need for them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:57:09 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: November 16, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

I hit financial problems EARLY compared to you guys.  My solution was to stop spending my starting RP on *any* increased build speed except for research, and buy ridiculous amounts of expensive +economy with it.  Considering I always end up short on minerals if I beef up my construction anyway...  (Mining's still good.  Yeah, still good.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »

Huh. Yeah, I usually have have a good bit of excess population too. Obviously I am not exploiting the masses sufficiently.

Actually, I've thought that that would be a good impetus to force you to expand...once unemployment hits a certain level, it begins to generate unrest. So you either have to expand to get the resources necessary to build massive industries to keep everybody working, or you find new places for them to work (and/or die gasping and freezing on alien shores). After all, one of the biggest drivers of migration and frontier settlement in human history is overpopulation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:01:07 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:51 pm »

I'll be honest: I build a few dozen FCs early on, and then never use them again, because they are utterly insignificant when compared to pretty much every other source of revenue, unless you're building so many that they compose a majority of your mineral use and workforce division.

Indeed, the most frequent time for you to get hit by a cash shortage is as you have just about mined out earth/sol and are starting to build finance centers to take advantage of the freed up population.

3. Run Resize Enable

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: November 16, 2011, 08:31:24 pm »

I've finally traveled to another solar system. I managed to get to that solar system and back to Sol, but when I sent a colony ship (one of the planets had a colony cost less than Mars, at a mere 1.2601) I can't seem to get back to it without the game spewing out error messages and crashing on me. Any way to change solar systems without the errorspam and crashing every five seconds?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:34:20 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 1347