Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819236 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8490 on: November 17, 2011, 01:41:37 pm »

Or go my route and ignore missiles entirely, focusing all efforts on building flying balls of armor with heavy shields and a large number of PD lasers/sandpaper application devices.
Yo Prador! :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #8491 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »

7160 word and counting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13152hgyUxjrjqLmAJpxXiiB3Oy7D-RiO4LsjpxQticw/edit?hl=en_US

now with geology exploration, survey automation, team creation, a touch of colonization and the first screen that looks like something resembling a game!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8492 on: November 17, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »

7160 word and counting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13152hgyUxjrjqLmAJpxXiiB3Oy7D-RiO4LsjpxQticw/edit?hl=en_US

now with geology exploration, survey automation, team creation, a touch of colonization and the first screen that looks like something resembling a game!

Make sure to mention not to have GEV and GSV ships in the same TG, or the standing orders for survey procedure will clash and you'll end up with GEVs trying to survey grav points and vice versa, which isn't immediately obvious.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8493 on: November 17, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »

nice, didn't thought of that, thanks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8494 on: November 17, 2011, 04:53:23 pm »

Very nice!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8495 on: November 17, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »

One thing: I would suggest that you recommend staying on the System View screen, as that allows you to monitor ship activity, access every window via the top bar, and view events as they occur. The events in particular are important, as they will alert you to everything from research projects completing to ground combat results to new thermal contacts being registered to new leaders being recruited, allowing the player to easily manage every aspect of the empire each turn. A typical turn for me will consist of me running a five day tick, reading the events log (which needs to be switched on from the Display tab on the bottom left), and addressing each point as necessary, opening the proper windows, doing what I need to do, and closing them. The issue with staying on the economics window for most of the time is that you won't notice things happening until you happen to go to a relevant tab or window and realize that something is different, which can radically reduce both your efficiency and your response time to threats.

And to be perfectly fair, I agree with Steve that new players should be instructed to leave Political bonuses and inexperienced fleets (and possible maintenance) off for their first few games, as they essentially do nothing more than pile on additional complexity without actually changing much about the game beyond giving the player more things to micromanage, which really isn't what you need to be doing when you're learning the ropes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8496 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:46 pm »

Ah, yes, I probably should post my missile techs.

I have 6 warhead strength per MSP, 4 missile engine power per MSP, 100 agility per MSP, and fuel efficiency of 0.6

Here is my AMM design, as well:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8497 on: November 17, 2011, 05:25:30 pm »

I usually stay in the Economics window, with the Event window minimized. I simply open the others as needed. I also get impatient and just use 30-day ticks, especially in the beginning when nothing is happening.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8498 on: November 17, 2011, 06:08:14 pm »

I personally like to stay in the system window, while keeping the economic and event update tabs open in the background, so I can access them easily.

I also just saw one of the most awesome things I have ever seen inside a video game. Entered a new system, found out that it was a level 14 nebula with a K8-V protostar at the center. The star has a diameter of 8.9 million km, and there's a planet orbiting at about 16 million km. Just from looking at the system map, the star would take up about a 30 degree arc of the planet's sky. The best part is the planet has a breatheable atmosphere, .83 gravity, and -33.8 temp. Imagining the view from there really makes me wish I had some modicum of artistic ability.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: November 17, 2011, 06:23:08 pm »

Just tried to compress the database and got an epic crash with about 500-1k error messages.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #8500 on: November 17, 2011, 06:30:22 pm »

One thing: I would suggest that you recommend staying on the System View screen, as that allows you to monitor ship activity, access every window via the top bar, and view events as they occur.

Whereas I would recommend that you ignore the system view except when you have enemy contacts, as it just serves to make the rest of your windows experience look weird, and instead use the Economic view as your default.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8501 on: November 17, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »

well, dunno, I stay in economics and events most of the time, but I'm writing it more like a sequence of operations to learn the basic than a strategy guide.

people can work out their preferred style, after learning which does what.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8502 on: November 17, 2011, 06:34:35 pm »

I keep my System View, Galaxy view, and Economics windows open. Works pretty well in my opinion, as that's where the most action occurs for me.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8503 on: November 17, 2011, 06:43:15 pm »

I leave the System Map, Event Updates, and Economics open, as well as whatever others I don't bother to close. 

Is there a way to SM in CMCs or ships for civilian shipping lines?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8504 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:44 pm »

huh, is 800 construction factories enough/good?

Right now building up my mines with 602 normal mines and 236 automated mines.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 [567] 568 569 ... 1347