Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819374 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #8385 on: November 14, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »

HAH! So I build some tugs, let the civvies build the super expensive million+ ton superfreighters, and then steal them away! Thanks.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8386 on: November 14, 2011, 04:53:58 pm »

Indeed. You can go further and play a game almost entirely without mining by simply designing vessels for your civilians to build, sieze them and scrap them for resources.  :D
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: November 14, 2011, 06:08:52 pm »

Does anyone know how to alter a class design in SM mode? I need to strip 50 tons of a corvette due to a hangar size miscalculation.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8388 on: November 14, 2011, 06:19:18 pm »

Goto class design screen. Select the class you want to alter. Along the bottom push the unlock button. Make alterations. Push the Lock design button.

If the design tab doesn't seem to show up after hitting unlock, change to another design and then back.

If you have already made some ships of that design, go to the ship details screen. Go down the list slecting each ship of the design you altered, this will update them to the new design.

Remember if you changed magazines/firecontrolls/etc that you may need to check that they are still assigned together correctly/(un)load missiles to the correct new capacity.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:21:03 pm by Metalax »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: November 14, 2011, 06:26:50 pm »

Thanks, I just needed to strip some armor off so the right number of corvettes could fit in a hanger space (which is limited by the size of jump engine).

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:12 pm »

I just started up Aurora for the first time. Past the initial confusion of "oh god how do i even play this", things have been going fine. However, there's a little problem. I don't know how to build ships. The wiki is absolutely unhelpful in this, as there's no class to select in the dropbox that appears in the Create Task menu. I have designed a geosurvey ship already.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: November 14, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »

Did you retool the selected shipyard to build that class first?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: November 14, 2011, 06:47:58 pm »

I just started up Aurora for the first time. Past the initial confusion of "oh god how do i even play this", things have been going fine. However, there's a little problem. I don't know how to build ships. The wiki is absolutely unhelpful in this, as there's no class to select in the dropbox that appears in the Create Task menu. I have designed a geosurvey ship already.
Do you have enough capacity in your shipyards? That's the only thing I can think of.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: November 14, 2011, 06:48:08 pm »

This, and the shipyard needs to have large enough slipways to handle the vessel.

So who else goes through the motions of refitting ships to newer models by hand, rather than just SMing them? Please tell me I'm not the only one.  :-X

3. Run Resize Enable

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: November 14, 2011, 06:51:58 pm »

Ah, I didn't retool. Thanks!
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: November 14, 2011, 07:13:32 pm »

This, and the shipyard needs to have large enough slipways to handle the vessel.

So who else goes through the motions of refitting ships to newer models by hand, rather than just SMing them? Please tell me I'm not the only one.  :-X

I do, as long as I'm not just fixing a stupid mistake.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: November 14, 2011, 07:15:59 pm »

I do, as long as I'm not just fixing a stupid mistake.
Same.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8397 on: November 14, 2011, 07:20:07 pm »

Yes, I'll refit ships that need updating to a newer model or even to fix mistakes. The only time I use the SM refit of changing the class design is for PDC's as the refit PDC construction doesn't actually change their class to the new one once it is completed. Even then I'll run the refit construction and only do the refit once it completes.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: November 14, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »

These aliens are tough nuts to crack. I turned on my AMM sensors v2 and I uncovered 9 or so enemy ships firing missiles at me. Still can't be them, why can't it be something easy, like theoretical physics?!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: November 14, 2011, 08:17:29 pm »

These aliens are tough nuts to crack. I turned on my AMM sensors v2 and I uncovered 9 or so enemy ships firing missiles at me. Still can't be them, why can't it be something easy, like theoretical physics?!

Just do what I do: Build cruisers with enough PD, armor, and shields to absorb any size of missile barrage (short of A Certain Race armed with A Certain EW/Missile Cross), put together a decent sized squadron, and let them empty their magazines while you close. Once you get in range, open up with your PD and sandpaper them to death. You don't need missiles, and you don't need heavy EW. Just a crapload of 10cm quad lasers.

For an example of how this works: I had a squadron of 6 low-tech (around near-UV lasers, ion engines, etc.) Light Cruisers following this design philosophy absorb more than 1200 missiles, in volleys of 99, with serious damage to one ship, and medium damage to another. The four remaining at full speed caught up with the enemy ships as they were rearming at their base and shredded them with their PD at knife range. This will get you through pretty much any sort of Precursor or low-medium tech NPR force if you scale it up appropriately, with the added benefit of saving on missile and ship replacement costs. It also helps if you name the ships "Juggernaught 1 through 1+n".

Out of curiosity, why are pretty much all combat ships at least R3? Even tiny 1k ton FACs with a single weapon. It makes it near-impossible to put officers on every ship without SM promoting a ton of them.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 1347