Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819905 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7950 on: October 30, 2011, 01:43:50 pm »

I would definitely suggest naming personnel (Naval, army, civil, and scientists) after posters if they wish, it's a good way to keep a thread active. Also maybe have votes on naming systems/planets of interest.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: October 30, 2011, 01:47:49 pm »

I would definitely suggest naming personnel (Naval, army, civil, and scientists) after posters if they wish, it's a good way to keep a thread active. Also maybe have votes on naming systems/planets of interest.

Yea we need to have a theme to naming things.. either each person has their own theme, or we choose one to all share.

The empire theme at large will be either United States or United Kingdom, so we can have recognizable naval ranks.  The norse ones that I generally use, the ranks are hard to remember.

I personally like the idea that each player choose the name of ships they design, systems they discover, and planets they settle on. 
For example, lets say I discover a solar system and name it Tyr.  Player #2 comes along and settles on Tyr III, an easily colonizable planet.  They can rename that planet to whatever they want, as they're the ones who founded the colony. 

What do you guys think?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: October 30, 2011, 01:50:39 pm »

Yea we need to have a theme to naming things.. either each person has their own theme, or we choose one to all share.

The empire theme at large will be either United States or United Kingdom, so we can have recognizable naval ranks.  The norse ones that I generally use, the ranks are hard to remember.

I personally like the idea that each player choose the name of ships they design, systems they discover, and planets they settle on. 
For example, lets say I discover a solar system and name it Tyr.  Player #2 comes along and settles on Tyr III, an easily colonizable planet.  They can rename that planet to whatever they want, as they're the ones who founded the colony. 

What do you guys think?

I meant having public votes for names of planets/systems in the thread, not just of the players.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: October 30, 2011, 01:50:55 pm »

PVP Aurora will never work, because you can't use player tactics against hotseat players.  The default "autofire" command is incredibly poor, and will never work to fight a player, so if one person gets a year to play they can just steamroll the other player and hand it back.

The only possible way for PVP would be to have a host running... what do you call that?  Remote Desktop?  Have them run Aurora, and two or more players log into that computer to play.  It would require a dedicated machine, unless you want the whole of B12 rummaging through your computer...

Carronades are your close-range brawlers.  Some of the best DPS but worst range.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: October 30, 2011, 01:59:47 pm »

PVP Aurora will never work, because you can't use player tactics against hotseat players.  The default "autofire" command is incredibly poor, and will never work to fight a player, so if one person gets a year to play they can just steamroll the other player and hand it back.

The only possible way for PVP would be to have a host running... what do you call that?  Remote Desktop?  Have them run Aurora, and two or more players log into that computer to play.  It would require a dedicated machine, unless you want the whole of B12 rummaging through your computer...

Carronades are your close-range brawlers.  Some of the best DPS but worst range.

We're not going to be doing that, we're going to be doing a community game, where we all run the same empire for 5 years a piece.

I meant having public votes for names of planets/systems in the thread, not just of the players.

Oh, yea that works lol. 

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7955 on: October 30, 2011, 02:04:25 pm »

What do you guys think?

I'd suggest leaving that up to the individual player of a term of office, if they want people to vote on names and such.

If a conventional start I'd recomend having invaders turned off for the first 20 years then turn them on, to avoid getting completely annihalated with no way to fight in the first couple of years if a wormhole opens up inside of sol system.

Terran federation naming sceme is also a good one to use for officer ranks.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:57 pm »

Are you guys doing a multiplayer game?

Also, how can I check the industrial capacity of my colonies? People are always talking about how you need x amount of people to run x amount of things at top efficiency, and a bunch of other stuff, but I have no idea where to view that info.

Also, how do I know which designs are bad, and which ones are good? I have literally no experience with designing things, and so can't make judgements about designs, like: "Oh, the cost is too much", "I could use a bit more range...", and etcetera. So basically, I really have no idea HOW to design, I guess. As in, I don't know what I should aim for.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »

I'm going to be setting up the game shortly, as well as taking the first turn.  I have to finish up some college work and a quiz first, though.

While I'm doing that, lets vote on a name for our Empire.

My vote goes for the United Earth Directorate, or UED. *Cough Starcraft*
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:58:27 pm by Crustypeanut »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: October 30, 2011, 03:00:58 pm »

I'm going to be setting up the game shortly, as well as taking the first turn.  I have to finish up some college work and a quiz first, though.

While I'm doing that, lets vote on a name for our Empire.

My vote goes for the United Earth Directorate, or UED. *Cough Starcraft*

I will take a turn once we get up where we can actually make ships, and explore the galaxy.

My vote for the empire name is for UNSC (United Nations Space Command) Halo Reference

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: October 30, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »

I vote Terran Federation, we'll just go basic on the first one since, well, it's the first one.  I also feel that a new thread would be needed, but I'm not sure if this should be on B12 or Aurora forums.  I'd have to vote the B12 "play with your buddies" section.

And sign me up, this sounds like fun~

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: October 30, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »

*sigh* if only I wasn't stuck on a shitty computer 5 days of the week. Gonna have to organize an LP of my own one day...

Raddish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: October 30, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »

I would vote for the Space Force.

But I don't think it would be that popular  :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: October 30, 2011, 03:27:46 pm »

Well, if I had my way, we'd be the Phallic Brigade...  Come to think of it, since I'll be playing, expect very phallic-shaped ships.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: October 30, 2011, 03:29:36 pm »

I like your previous idea of the Terran Federation, to keep it simple.  And I expect to see phallic-shaped ships shooting plasma coronades at close range into the faces of our enemies on yer turn, Girlinhat.  XD

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: October 30, 2011, 03:31:33 pm »

That hilarious moment when the enemy ship is shaped like a member of their species...
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1347