Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2819998 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7890 on: October 29, 2011, 11:38:48 pm »

Gauss is a good weapon for dogfighting fighters, despite the low damage. Lots of shots, no reactor to take up space.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: October 29, 2011, 11:39:15 pm »

Well start game, and I decide to spend 35 years researching purely fire control/sensor technology ... I think they are adequate for now.
So what level of fire control and sensor technology do you have now?

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: October 29, 2011, 11:42:28 pm »

This fighter isn't meant for dog fighting, its meant for drilling a hole in the enemies' armor to allow a boarding party.

Heres the updated schematic:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was able to increase the recharge rate of the laser to allow a shot every 60 seconds instead of 600 seconds , as well as increasing the armor to allow 2 layers and doubling the fuel capacity.  Just had to get rid of an over-sized reactor that I noticed I didn't need XD

The laser only requires .25 power every 5 seconds and I had it producing 1 per 5 seconds.  Now it produces .4 per 5, which is far more efficient.  Speed is gone down by 333 km/s, but at least now its an even 3000, which is good for my OCD tendencies.  XD

Now its time to update the boarding vessel..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:00 pm »

Looks good  :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: October 29, 2011, 11:48:31 pm »

700m km flight range isn't bad.  That gives you well enough time to launch the ship, and then tackle the enemy before bringing in the ordinance.  Might I suggest that the other 250 hangar be used for a microwave ship?  Blinding their fire controls and sensors will leave your ships much more free to act.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

I could look into that.  I plan on having the carrier ship hold 5 fighter transports, which means 10 fighters. I want 5 of them to be boarding vessels (Which is one battalion), whereas 4 could be the laser fighters and 5th a microwave fighter.

Heres the updated boarding vessel: Not much is changed besides adding one extra layer of armor and quite a bit more fuel, which can allow me to drop them off on a small hostile colony undetected, if needed. 

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: October 29, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

Might I suggest that the other 250 hangar be used for a microwave ship?  Blinding their fire controls and sensors will leave your ships much more free to act.

Found out that due to the size of the high powered microwave (3 hs), I'm unable to make a fighter of 250 tons or smaller with it.  :\ I'll just have to rely on small size and fast speeds instead.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: October 30, 2011, 12:00:52 am »

Perhaps the carrier FAC can handle a HPM?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: October 30, 2011, 12:01:36 am »

All troops are fundamentally identical, marines and garrison battalions are the same thing

I understand why to a certain extent. Some Sci-fi over exagerate a races ability to fight (like Klingons) when really the weaponry of the time would make certain aspects of a race entirely superfluous while strategy and reflexes would make the entire difference.

Though given some alien races in Aurora you would think there would be SOME who would be dangerous on their own.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: October 30, 2011, 12:02:58 am »

One company isn't going to do you much, though.  It'll handle your average ship, but against a population it's worthless.  That's a dedicated ship capture there, small ships at that.  Battalions are the normal force, companies are like 1/5 the size and power.  That's not gonna get you far, but it'll overwhelm a standard ship's crew.  At your tech level though, a battalion drop would be too heavy, so you're doing good.  I would NOT drop a division HQ with them, it's much to small.

I'd also invest in heavy training.  Apparently if you assign a colony commander with higher troop training, then all the troops training on that planet will train quicker.  To abuse this, put your best ground force trainer as the commander of, say, Luna, and place a few HQ's there.  Make the HQ commanders high trainers, and make the troop commanders high combat boost.  Leave them there and watch them train.  Morale and readiness directly scale combat strength.  120 morale is 20% more firepower for the same troop.  That will win you battles.  And besides, vikings training on the moon.  Vikings on the moon!  Viking Moon!  TO THE MOOOOOOOONAAAAHHHH~

NINJA: Klingons go into battle wearing light armor.  Vulcans go in wearing combat suits.  They have the same overall strength.  Interpret the Aurora logic however you want, it's all fluid.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: October 30, 2011, 12:18:54 am »

I'm working on designing the Aegir class Assault Carrier now.. here is the idea I have so far:

Jump capable, so it doesn't have to rely on other ships
A single Troop Transport Bay, so it can carry one battalion comfortably
A Hangar Capacity of 5000 tons (Five Fighter Transports - the Fighters will remain in the transports)
Some kind of point defence, either lasers, rails, or gauss, with corresponding beam control sensors
A pair active sensors meant for targeting missiles

Extra fuel and maintenance capacity

And perhaps a few other things.. I would like this ship to be capable of extended independent operations for some time..

And yes, Vikings will train on Luna, henceforth known as VALHALLA!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: October 30, 2011, 12:50:31 am »

Edit: Actually, the cruiser is NOT ready for feedback.  It would take a lot more technology before this design would become anywhere near useful.  Instead, I'm going to create a smaller ship that can hold two marine companies and one fighter transport.  With the tech we have, it would be far more efficient.

Edit 2: Ok, the Baldr class Assault Carrier (Much smaller than the fat ass Aegir) is done.  It holds one Fighter Transport, each carrying one Boarding Vessel and One Fighter, and the space for one company. 

The technology involved is still very low, but it should be capable of doing it's job.  It has two quad 10c laser turrets each with its own beam fire control, and two CIWS.  Each turret can fire once per minute (4 shots each since its a quad).  Hopefully those four weapon systems will be enough.

Its also quite capable of independent operations due to its large amounts of supplies and fuel, although with its slow speed, the fuel might become an issue.  Thermal engines just don't cut it anymore..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:07:46 am by Crustypeanut »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:17 am »

Well start game, and I decide to spend 35 years researching purely fire control/sensor technology ... I think they are adequate for now.
So what level of fire control and sensor technology do you have now?
CECCM - 1
CECM - 1
ECCM - 3
ECM - 3
Electronic Hardening - 4
Missile ECM - 2
Fire Control Speed Rating - 5000 Km/s
Planetary System Strength - 550
Thermal Sensor Sensitivity - 11
Beam Fire Range 40,000 km
EM Sensor Sensitivity - 14

Anything I missed ?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: October 30, 2011, 01:08:08 am »

What the heck is CECCM and CECM?

I could be forgetting my stuff but I don't recall them having C's.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: October 30, 2011, 01:10:35 am »

The C means Compact
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1347