Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820086 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7830 on: October 29, 2011, 07:27:39 pm »

That works. Never thought of that  :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7831 on: October 29, 2011, 07:28:03 pm »

A hangar deck stores 20 HS worth of ship, and a boat bay stores 5.  These connect infinitely, so you can load a ship with any size ship if you add enough hangar.  One player developed a 700 box launcher platform carried via a mothership, for when surgical strikes just weren't enough!  It needed to be taken inside the hangar to reload all the launchers.  I've seen others who carried whole battleships in a hangar.

Ideally, for a dropship, you'll have a mothership that sits some ways off, outside of fire range.  This mothership should have troop bays and hangar decks, and several cargo controllers (those ones that speed up loading and unloading).  To deploy, you mount the marines/heavy assault into the shuttles, and launch the shuttles as a new task group.  The shuttles then run to the target planet or ship and deploy, and then run back.

The shuttles should be as small as possible, with powerful engines (use that +5% thrust -10% efficiency type) preferably loaded with some type of fighter or gunboat engine for max thrust.  Or if it's too big, fit regular engines and multiples of them.  Play that part by ear.  They should be outfitted with a combat drop module, a powerful engine, and little else.  They need to be going 20x faster than the target ship to deploy soldiers with no casualties, but planets don't matter because they don't move.  Still, you'll want speed so you can evade PDC defensive fire.  Your drop shuttle cannot be too fast!  Keep fuel low as well, try and measure a trip too and from your target and set your mothership that far away, so your shuttle isn't burdened by fuel or anything else.  You're basically building a two-way suicide pod.  Or you could make it a one-way shuttle and just give it enough fuel to make it over there.

Remember, if you drop a group of soldiers WITH their division/brigade HQ, they get a combat boost.  You can deploy an HQ on a hostile planet or to a hostile ship, so you can fit soldiers and their HQ into an enemy ship.

A note: my screen's max display doesn't work, but the one right under max does.  Different resolutions give different sizes, and a smaller size can give more vertical height.  try lowering your resolution.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7832 on: October 29, 2011, 07:30:06 pm »

So, help me Bay12.

I've installed the game it runs perfectly... but there is one small problem. The windows don't fit vertically on my screen and I'm at the highest resolution my card supports. The wiki suggest a program: 360 Desktop, but the site is offline as far I as can tell and I can't find any mirrors or any alternatives in the official forums so... help me, Bay12ers, you are my only hope.

I have 1024x768 resolution and can do everything properly with the following things:
+ Reduced Height Windows (Game Parameters>Reduced Height Windows)
+ Taskbar locked to the right of the screen
+ ReSize Enable is a rough hack that allows you to resize any window. It'll compress the windows a bit, but if you do it properly you'll be able to use everything. With the other two options, this is only necessary for the Task Group window, the Commanders window, and one other which I don't remember.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7833 on: October 29, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »

Holy crap, the invaders' missiles are moving at 80,000 km/s.  o.O my Meson PDC's are only meant to handle 12,000 km/s..

I have a feeling.. Earth is gonna be hurtin' shortly.

Luckily there are only two salvos of 4 missiles each.  That means I'll have eight quad meson turrets aimed at each salvo..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:32:03 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7834 on: October 29, 2011, 07:33:49 pm »

Mesons aren't the best at invader PD.  You're gonna need some punch to take them out.  Still, here's hoping for the best~

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7835 on: October 29, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »

Found out they're aiming at my freighter task group which was stationed at Earth..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7836 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:07 pm »

Holy crap, the invaders' missiles are moving at 80,000 km/s.  o.O my Meson PDC's are only meant to handle 12,000 km/s..

I have a feeling.. Earth is gonna be hurtin' shortly.

Luckily there are only two salvos of 4 missiles each.  That means I'll have eight quad meson turrets aimed at each salvo..
Use anything you have as shields hell if you have freighters use them to block incoming fire, and to draw the enemy's attention, so your actual combat ships can take them out.

Note: This is a last ditch plan only use in a dire emergency.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7837 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »

I'm managing with the right-side taskbar and reduced windows

Here goes another question (that is possibly quite stupid, but I can't seem to solve it): I'm trying to assing a governor to Earth, already chosen the one I want (classified as A5, wich I suppose is good), however no matter how many buttons I press, how many times I press said buttons or how much I yell at the screen, none will be assigned. The tutorials I found in the official forums have nothing on that, either.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7838 on: October 29, 2011, 07:42:49 pm »

Click Governor of Earth not unassigned that might help, and then click assign down in the bottom right corner

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7839 on: October 29, 2011, 07:43:00 pm »

I don't have Aurora installed on this laptop yet, sorry. I'm not quite sure what might be wrong, but are you sure you're pressing the Assign button?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7840 on: October 29, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »

Click the people button, or whatever officer window, you know which one.  Click the person you want (probably via searching) and it'll show the things they can be assigned to, ships, troops, or colonies.  In this case, click the colony you want, and then in the lower right corner click the "assign" button.  Make sure that the selection didn't skip a little, it tends to do that slightly, so skim over the window to make sure you've got the right person for the right task before assigning.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7841 on: October 29, 2011, 07:44:59 pm »

Turns out I had to highlight the "Governor of Earth" to be able to assign, so thanks
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7842 on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:48 pm »

I'm managing with the right-side taskbar and reduced windows

Here goes another question (that is possibly quite stupid, but I can't seem to solve it): I'm trying to assing a governor to Earth, already chosen the one I want (classified as A5, wich I suppose is good), however no matter how many buttons I press, how many times I press said buttons or how much I yell at the screen, none will be assigned. The tutorials I found in the official forums have nothing on that, either.

Go to the "Civilian Administrators" part of the scrolldown bar on the left side of the commanders window. You'll see your CivAdmins, and each will have a command ranking of sorts. You'll need one with a level at or above that of the planet (in this case, 5) to assign them. Once you've picked one, click on them. Their name should be highlighted. Now go to the lower right, and click the 'assign' button.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: October 29, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »

Oh god, oh god... I found more of the Swarm, in another system about 7 jumps from Earth. Another survey ship down... The worst part? The system has asteroids. HUNDREDS OF THEM.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7844 on: October 29, 2011, 08:15:44 pm »

Flee my good friend ... flee quickly as you may yet have a chance build your forces quickly, and use the best of your weapons, shields, and armor. Amass a large fleet, and as each is finished place them at your forward base that blocks their path to you, also make sure you have plenty of supplies to hold them until it is finished, and enough to get you there. Then when your fleet is ready charge into through that jump point, and destroy them, or die trying. (Anywhere from 50 - 100 ships I would advise if they have had more than twenty years in that system then you will need them)
Pages: 1 ... 521 522 [523] 524 525 ... 1347