Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820503 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7500 on: October 22, 2011, 05:47:25 am »

Gotcha.  Well, first I need to get more people on the planet.  90% of the population (just over 1 million) are working as agriculture and environmental.  I might have to look into ship-board terraforming modules..
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: October 22, 2011, 05:49:02 am »

I believe 5% + (5%*colony cost) (max 100%) is the amount of people working as A&E.
Might not be totally correct, but the formula was something like that.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: October 22, 2011, 05:54:27 am »

I believe 5% + (5%*colony cost) (max 100%) is the amount of people working as A&E.
Might not be totally correct, but the formula was something like that.

That would be about right, since it comes out to about the same % of whats working as that on my planet.  So.. I guess I need to look into ship-board terraforming afterall, at least for now.

The calculation comes out to be 92.05%, and the screen says 92.1%, so it apparently rounds up to the nearest .1%.  well, I got someone with 30% bonus researching terraforming modules.  If only I had a scientiest with Construction/Production specialization, instead of this guy with an Energy Weapons Specialization at 30%.

Edit: DAMNIT, I just had two of my best civilian administrators have to retire due to medical illnesses.  Could it have something to do with them living on Mercury? One had like a 20% mining bonus, 20% terraforming bonus, and a ton of other skills, the other one just had a rather high (30%) mining bonus.  :(

Edit 2: Thinking of scientists with Construction/Production Specialization, is there a way to train them up reliably? I just got one, but hes at 0% bonus. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:21:13 am by Crustypeanut »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: October 22, 2011, 07:34:21 am »

Give him a research project to work on, amount of labs doesn't seem to matter. I think it might even work with 0 labs but I prefer to not use exploits like that (although one could argue that giving him just one lab to train is also an exploit).

It might be faster to just wait for a good one, or let someone with a better skill research your P&P projects.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: October 22, 2011, 08:08:19 am »

also, build a couple of military academy. you start with just one and each gives you 100% more random people to work with  :P

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: October 22, 2011, 10:12:37 am »

The 150 GB thing might be because it's counting the system files, aka the ones that you clicked yes to NOT replace.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: October 22, 2011, 10:15:33 am »

I get all kinds of errors when playing this on Win7
Anyone here playing on Win7 64 bit? Also what do you do to fix it?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

I do, windows 7 64.

nothing special is required, probably you just need to re install again. remember the zip within the zip and the missing dll  :P

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: October 22, 2011, 02:17:44 pm »

Lol so I decided to see what it would be like to play this game with Earth having the actual number of people on it as it does in real life.. about 7 billion.. I have ALOT of friggin' production.  Started me off with 14,000 conventional industries..

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: October 22, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »

When you first DESIGN them, I forget which option it is but one of the things you modify is what determines its fuel and longevity, aka its endurance. I can't install Aurora on this computer so I havent played in a month or two, but I'm damn sure I remember something determining endurance when building a new missile.

Plasma torpedo designs are listed in a tab under the research projects menu, not the missiles tab. The only four things I can see are warhead size, speed, integrity, and recharge rate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: October 22, 2011, 03:13:55 pm »

When you first DESIGN them, I forget which option it is but one of the things you modify is what determines its fuel and longevity, aka its endurance. I can't install Aurora on this computer so I havent played in a month or two, but I'm damn sure I remember something determining endurance when building a new missile.

Plasma torpedo designs are listed in a tab under the research projects menu, not the missiles tab. The only four things I can see are warhead size, speed, integrity, and recharge rate.

It would probably be integrity, then, as the name implies that it controls how stable they are (in other words, how long they can exist without falling apart), and as such those four things would translate to missile WH size, engine power, fuel, along with EW recharge rate. Which makes perfect sense, as they're missiles fired like EW.

Lol so I decided to see what it would be like to play this game with Earth having the actual number of people on it as it does in real life.. about 7 billion.. I have ALOT of friggin' production.  Started me off with 14,000 conventional industries..

This is why you don't do that, especially on T-N starts. It isn't fun scrolling through 32+ shipyards.  ::)

you need to keep oxygen under 30% or something, but you'll probably have enough anti greenhouse to keep his percentage down enough.

Specifically, O2 pressure needs to be between 0.100 and 0.300 atm.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: October 22, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »

Thats not a problem at all, even though I have 14,000 conventional industry, I changed the number of research labs and shipyards to 10 and 1, respectively.  Just one tiny little naval shipyard to begin with..

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: October 22, 2011, 04:17:00 pm »

One thing to note when playing with ~7 Billion people: The HUGE number of troops and shipyards takes a long time to load for the production window. Which is the only real problem with having that many people.

Otherwise, it should be fine game. Just a LOT easier and quicker with such a HUGE population, production, and research base.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: October 22, 2011, 04:19:56 pm »

I had integrity 8 researched for my torpedoes, compared to the invader's 7. I'm going to guess that plasma torpedoes are bugged as player designed systems.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: October 22, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »

One thing to note when playing with ~7 Billion people: The HUGE number of troops and shipyards takes a long time to load for the production window. Which is the only real problem with having that many people.

Otherwise, it should be fine game. Just a LOT easier and quicker with such a HUGE population, production, and research base.

I only have two shipyards (just built that 2nd one), so the only thing that takes a while to load are the ungodly amounts of land troops.  Its pretty easy so far when it come sto mining and production, although I only started with 10 research labs so thats still going slowly.  Gonna ship off a few billion people to Mars soon..
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 1347