Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820501 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7485 on: October 21, 2011, 09:19:42 pm »

I somewhat doubt that, since I've been engaged by invader plasma torpedoes about 10 million kilometers out, which is far in excess of what they could get with beam fire controls. Also, I tried to stick one of the spare torpedo fire controls I took directly off an invader ship on my design, and it still gave the no missile launcher error, so I assume it was just a renamed MFC.

Regarding the fighters, I chose to put them in carriers because that will give me a lot more flexibility against enemies other than invaders, should I ever encounter them. I honestly don't care if I lose some fighters, and the plasma torpedoes will have horrible to hit ratios against a target moving that fast.

Edit: I am an imbecile. The reason my torpedo tubes weren't showing up as a valid option in the combat screen was because I had the beam FC for my point defense turrets selected. Ddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppp.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:26:32 pm by LostCosmonaut »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7486 on: October 21, 2011, 11:29:53 pm »

He's not going to hand out the password willy-nilly, he said so.

Doesn't hurt to ask, he might give it to you. He didn't change it because he didn't want anyone to have it, he just doesn't want people other than him giving it out. I think he makes a list of everyone he gives it to so he can know who might be using it when they report bugs, to prevent wild goose chases caused by someone causing a problem using designer mode and reporting it without mentioning that they used it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: October 22, 2011, 12:03:09 am »

In continuing weirdness, my size 32 plasma torpedoes appear to be running out of endurance within 5 seconds after launch. Anybody have any clue why this would happen?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: October 22, 2011, 12:19:40 am »

Your target, does it have ECM? It could be your... Hmm, does that even affect missiles...

Only thing I can think of is that they keep going in and out of range, making them explode as they probably aren't equipped with their own active sensors.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: October 22, 2011, 12:32:40 am »

No, I'm launching them, and five seconds later I get the message that they have run out of endurance. And when I look at the weapon stats in the ship design screen, it has a range listed of about 20 million km, but an endurance of zero. I think it might be a bug. My targets are only about 4 million km out (an invader ship that was in range to shoot size 8 torpedoes at me. Which functioned perfectly).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 12:34:47 am by LostCosmonaut »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: October 22, 2011, 12:36:46 am »

Aye, many NPC components are bugged to shit once we salvage them :\
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:24 am »

Scrap 'em for tech, you might have enough to fully research plasma torps and build your own non-bugged versions :P

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: October 22, 2011, 12:52:53 am »

These are my own researched plasma torpedoes, which are actually superior to the invader's as they (theoretically) have a longer range. Just tried again, deleted the old ships, fast OBed some more, and I still have the same issue. In the five second interval where I launch them, they appear on the system map, with a remaining endurance of zero. And they promptly disappear next increment. I also created a size 4 design and tested it, it has the same problem.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: October 22, 2011, 01:08:36 am »

How much fuel/endurance did you add when you created it?

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: October 22, 2011, 01:20:41 am »

I didn't see an option to add fuel or endurance when I researched them. Should there be?

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: October 22, 2011, 02:39:28 am »

When you first DESIGN them, I forget which option it is but one of the things you modify is what determines its fuel and longevity, aka its endurance. I can't install Aurora on this computer so I havent played in a month or two, but I'm damn sure I remember something determining endurance when building a new missile.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: October 22, 2011, 05:08:47 am »

Oh sure it's normal, a game that you can download in a zip file in less than an hour (for non shitty connections) taking up 150GB. Nope, nothing there is wrong. Nope nope nope. Everything is perfectly sane and correct.

...Oookkay, sarcasm aside, that's definitely not normal. At all.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: October 22, 2011, 05:14:10 am »

Yea.. you must have ALOT of saved games.  Mines only taking up about 225 mb..

Anyways, anyone have any tips on how to terraform Mercury?

I have three terraforming installations up (2 more on the way), although not enough people to work them YET.  Still working on that.  I have enough infrastructure for a few million, and a civilian colony ship is supplying them with people.

But what gasses should I add to the planet? Anti-greenhouse gasses, since its so friggin' hot there? Then oxygen / nitrogen?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: October 22, 2011, 05:18:17 am »

Anti-greenhouse gasses are the ONLY way of reducing temperature aside from removing atmosphere, of which Mercury has none, so Anti-greenhouse gasses are a safe bet for such a hot world.

Oxygen should come later as the temperature costs FAR more cost than the 2.0 from no oxygen. Nitrogen is completely unneeded, but you can add it if you want... whatever.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: October 22, 2011, 05:31:06 am »

you need to keep oxygen under 30% or something, but you'll probably have enough anti greenhouse to keep his percentage down enough.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 1347