Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820580 times)

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7245 on: October 09, 2011, 11:40:18 pm »

A slightly large question...

In a lot of games, NPRs that I try to subjugate often have orbital weapon platforms mounting a significant number of AMM launchers. Usually, my strategy is to fire all of my missiles in one salvo at long range, and then move in beam armed ships to mop up survivors. However, if I don't kill the AMM platforms, they usually end up shredding my ships by using their AMMs in an antiship role. Since the NPRs often have AMMs with ranges in excess of 10M km, this is a bad thing. I am considering several options to deal with this:

1. Build more missile boats to increase salvo volume.
2. Use a massive amount of drone engined "cruise missiles" with separable warheads to fire from long range, and then reloading with normal missiles to kill everything else.
3. Same as above, but using even longer range drone missiles without separable warheads as the actual attackers. To hit wouldn't be a worry since the platforms are stationary, although they would probably get massacred by point defenses (although NPRs seem to average about a 2-3% kill rate against my ASMs, so it probably wouldn't be that much worse against drone missiles.)
4. Use fast assault shuttles to board the platforms. Their speed would hopefully keep them safe from the missiles, and I could use the captured platforms to bombard enemy ships into oblivion. I have no experience whatsoever with boarding combat.

What would you all recommend?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: October 09, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »

Ouch, I hate ASM-AMMs. I can almost immediately tell you 4 will probably not work, AMMs are usually fast.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:39 am »

For some bloody reason, my game randomly started giving errors and no longer let me play. Since I tried reinstalling it, it NEVER WORKS. I keep getting the 2-3 errors that mean you fucked up the install, but I dunno what I'm screwing up.

After a year playing Aurora, I'm ready to RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE because I can't reinstall the damn thing.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 10, 2011, 12:27:32 am »

Did you ask on their forum?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 10, 2011, 02:32:43 am »

Try a ship arrmed with massive of "decoy" MIRV missiles
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: October 10, 2011, 03:36:31 am »

if a two stage missile is rightly timed, they will fire the AMM to the first stage and the second stage has more chance to pass.

you can save some space if all your ship have some gauss turrets put in final PD mode, that way you can bring more missiles to spam the enemy ditching your own AMM.

or you can make a missile sponge and parking it at their firing range, taking off all their missiles with his PD, when they're done shoting you their AMM, you come in with the heavy missiles.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7251 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:07 am »

having to start a new game because the 30 days button does 8 hours instead  :'(

In the sol system, what planets other than earth have trans-newtonian metals?

You don't have to start a new game, just pass some time - eventually whatever is slowing things down will stop. The reason it's doing less than the increment you select is something other than you is requiring shorter intervals (alien races either detecting something and stopping to assess them, or it shifting into a shorter interval due to ships attempting to intercept eachother.) I'm having this a LOT in my LP game, but I just turn auto turns on and set it to 1 day turns and wait for it all to settle itself. Usually takes a few mins, then its back to passing 5 day turns (I never use 30 day turns, it skips way too much time and can throw things like civilian shipping and NPR ship movements off).

As far as TN materials, it's random. Do a geo survey of the system and find out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:28:54 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:58 am »

Do you have the events window open? That can tell you what is causing short intervals.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7253 on: October 10, 2011, 10:54:42 am »

I'd be more likely to play this if (a) The installer didn't replace files in the windows system32 folder (This isn't windows 95), and (b) it was multiplayer over the internet.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7254 on: October 10, 2011, 11:02:41 am »

I'd be more likely to play this if (a) The installer didn't replace files in the windows system32 folder (This isn't windows 95), and (b) it was multiplayer over the internet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7255 on: October 10, 2011, 11:12:15 am »

You can just click the button to NOT overwrite files in your system32 folder...

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 10, 2011, 11:23:55 am »

Ouch, I hate ASM-AMMs. I can almost immediately tell you 4 will probably not work, AMMs are usually fast.

I think that NPRs use a different design philosophy for their AMMs. I went up against one once that was at about the same tech level as I was (we both had magneto-plasma drives), and their AMMs were doing 30k km/s, while mine were pushing 60 km/s. Theirs had a lot more range than mine (10 million kilometers vs 1.5 million), but their low speed meant they did fuck all against my 45000 km/s ASMs. Against my ships going 6500 km/s, though  ::).

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #7257 on: October 10, 2011, 12:09:42 pm »

So, this sounded like the kind of game I'd have a blast with (was reading the AAR), so I hopped in. After hours reading tutorials and the AAR, I got a small grip on some aspects of the game and started playing.

Started as a conventional empire, and it was pretty cool launching the first ships and all that, but now I'm a bit underwhelmed. DF always had something happening in-game - some interesting interaction between things you had little control over. True, in Aurora I did not do any fighting (I usually don't in DF either), and have not jumped out of Sol, but I'm finding it a bit of a chore getting minerals. Some of them ran out real quick, like Mercassium, for the research stations, so now I am using two transport groups to get infrastructure and terraformers to new colonies, and automated mines on asteroids. Minerals never seem to last though, so I am essentially just focusing on getting some stockpiles, but it's starting to get repetitive.

I have REALLY crappy scientists, so research gets done super slow. Also only have 18 labs.

Any clues on how to make the game more enjoyable?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 10, 2011, 12:15:20 pm »

Conventional start is kind of a challenge mode, not something built for beginners. Everything is generally easier with a standard start, because you can get the hell off Earth quicker and find more mineral deposits.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 10, 2011, 12:18:33 pm »

Agreed, conventional starts are far more difficult. I personally like to start out with a TN start, but 0 research points. The game will give you a few basic technologies and a much better production base, but you can still get the awesome feeling of designing and launching your first ships.
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 1347