Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820520 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7215 on: October 03, 2011, 01:13:45 am »

and you can see larger missiles from a longer distance than your minimal size radius if they are greater than 6.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: October 03, 2011, 01:20:09 am »

And longer range sensors basically let you ignore ECM vsince all it does is reduce your sensor range against them.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: October 03, 2011, 01:48:06 am »

DAMN IT.

I had to reinstall Aurora after months, and I've already reinstalled it 5 times in a row and keep getting errors, then uninstalling to reinstall again. Argh.

Its weird I keep fucking up the very simple instructions, especially since I installed it successfully the first time, many months ago.

Can someone help me out?

Downloaded install 491, unzipped to a file, then ran setup to install to program files/Aurora, said NO to overwrite files (was a bunch of files, not just two. I may have overwritten them the second time I tried to install, don't remember). Then I unzipped the 491 update to a file, copied the files and pasted them in the Aurora directive (since my computer doesnt let me unzip directly to /Aurora), then I unzipped update 5.50 and copied it to /Aurora, and then ran it.

FAIL. Fucking endless 5465 error or some such number. Last install I got a weird run screen that was missing a lot of info on civ start, like the option for invaders and precursors and such, and the install before that I had a little more info but still a lot missing.

The fuck am I doing wrong? I dont get it... I never had this problem before, and nothing at all has changed.

HALP! Was about to start a new campain too :P
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: October 03, 2011, 02:15:03 am »

From OP:
When installing click YES to NOT override your dlls; the reason for the changes to sysem32 is because the setup file is as official Microsoft Visual Studio setup that installs some required dlls that windows doesn't come with; it is not the games setup. The actual game is in the AuroraUpdate475.zip, and you may try to play the game without setup if you already have the required dlls.

Other then that, I don't know

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: October 03, 2011, 02:16:14 am »

I'd suggest asking on their forums. Getting in contact with the creator may be your best bet if I had to guess.

At the very least, type out the exact error so I can search their and our forums to see if anyone has had it before and fixed it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: October 03, 2011, 08:23:31 am »

I had one scientist with a bonus of 55% (Defensive Systems) who could manage 45 labs. When she retired, I wept bitter tears. And then named an entire star system after her.

Hell, her tech output was so sick I was using her to research pretty much everything, because even without the 4x bonus she could top most of my other scientists.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7221 on: October 03, 2011, 11:12:24 am »

Is there a point in designing general AMMs with more than 1m km of fuel?  It seems pretty pointless as the practical range is limited by the size/cost of the active sensors and fire controls needed for it, at the fuel points given on the wiki one would need a max-size tier 4 active sensor to use the "short range" AMMs at anywhere close to their max range.

Sometimes its helpful to be able to fire multiple volleys against a missile, just in case your AMMs aren't very effective. Say an enemy missile goes 50000 km/s (which is actually quite possible for precursors to have, in my current game they're 55 and 56 thousand km/s) at that speed it's moving a quarter million km every 5 seconds. Say ten enemy FACs fire a volley of 90 at you, your missiles need 3 to destroy each since they're so fast, and you only have 40 launchers. At 1m km your fire controls fire 40. At 750k km another 40. At 500k km another 40. At 250k km your missiles will have probably hit and destroyed 40 of them, and your launchers probably fire more, but the 50 enemy missiles will probably hit you in the next 5 sec increment before they intercept them.

If you had 2m or 3m km range missiles and sensors you could have had time to shoot at all of them. It's true that early on getting the sensors powerful enough to go out that far can be problematic though. The other useful thing about longer range anti-missiles than 1m km is you can use them as a last resort to pelt enemies before they enter beam range. Sometimes you might face a foe that your regular missiles can hardly hit (say an enemy FAC going 12,500 km/s), so missiles designed to intercept other missiles can be helpful against them.

And I believe you get a bonus to hit missiles the longer you've been tracking them, so the farther the better.

He asked about range on anti-missiles, not range on sensors :P I think that bonus only applies to beam PD too doesn't it? I've never really noticed if my anti-missiles were getting a tracking time bonus or not.

And longer range sensors basically let you ignore ECM vsince all it does is reduce your sensor range against them.

ECM doesn't affect sensors. ECM reduces the range of your missile fire controls, and reduces the hit rate of beam fire controls. Large missile fire controls can ignore the ECM penalty though. For beam fire controls you can never just ignore the ECM, as its a percent off your hit rate and the hit rate goes from 100 to 0 (point blank and max range). A 50% ECM would act like you were at max range even at the 50% range, and act like the 50% range at point blank. In their case it's usually more effective to slap on an ECCM than try to further increase range, because no matter how much further ranged your fire controls are they still have a max accuracy of (100 - ECM rating)% at point blank. If I'm going with nothing but missile ships I never even bother researching ECCM, but with beam ships it can make a big difference.

Speaking of scientists, I have crazy good ones in my current LP. 65% bonus 45 labs energy weapons, 60% bonus 50 labs sensors, 60% bonus 60 labs power and propulsion, 45% bonus 30 labs construction and production, 20% bonus 30 labs defensive systems, 15% bonus 45 labs logistics. Only thing I'm lacking (and have never filled in even after getting 12 new scientists) is a missile/kinetic weapon guy. My EW guy is currently researching missile tech, heh.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7222 on: October 03, 2011, 12:54:03 pm »

You know what I hate? Databases. For some reason Libreoffice refuses to ask for the password to a password-locked database.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: October 03, 2011, 01:56:32 pm »

Use MDB Viewer Plus. It's small and using the zip doesn't even need an installation.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: October 03, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

Thank you.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »

Anybody got tips for starting up a game with multiple factions on earth? I'd like to do a sort of "second space race" scenario.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: October 04, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

Make sure the other factions are human and not NPRs. The NPRs don't seem to compute that you are on the same world and will happily nuke the shit out of Earth until it has 0% production all across the board.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: October 04, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »

Thanks. Will they be computer controlled, or is there an option to run all the factions myself?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: October 04, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »

Thanks. Will they be computer controlled, or is there an option to run all the factions myself?

I'm pretty sure it's all human unless it's NPR.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: October 06, 2011, 10:26:20 am »

Do you use the reduced height option?
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1347