Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2820415 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #7050 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »

Um... no, there's a zip. Below File Description. "msstdfmt.dll free download". It contains a zip which contains a DLL.

What you picked is their DLL fixer program. Which is not what you're supposed to download.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »

Um... no, there's a zip. Below File Description. "msstdfmt.dll free download". It contains a zip which contains a DLL.

What you picked is their DLL fixer program. Which is not what you're supposed to download.
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU---

Too much rage.

Edit: Now to find out where to put it...

Edit: OKay, just placed the .dll directly into the folder itself and it seems to be working.

Still wish I could fix the screen-size/windows-getting-cut-off thing, though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:41:01 pm by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: September 26, 2011, 01:23:28 am »

Is there an easy way to zoom in on a ship or find where it ios? I seem to have lost one of my grav survey ships.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7053 on: September 26, 2011, 05:05:20 am »

Is there an easy way to zoom in on a ship or find where it ios? I seem to have lost one of my grav survey ships.

fleet-name of ship.
if it's there you haven't lost it.
if it's NOT there...it's destroyed.
so next thing you do, you look for wreckage in the system. (orange dots) to make it easier, select a ship and give her "movement orders" while doing so, tick the "show wrecks" and then give her "fake" movement orders to go around in various systems. if a wreckage is shown, there you have it.
if instead it's still "alive" select her from the fleet and look in what system she is (there should be on the left side the location) and then look for her there.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: September 26, 2011, 07:26:09 am »

>... oh, i see it now, it says what system the fleet is in, that's helpful, i was wondering if there was a way of actually zooming into the fleet from that or some other page.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: September 26, 2011, 07:49:26 am »

A tip, remember to hit "default colors" in the Events window, it assigns most events a color when they occur. Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You'll never miss a single important thing.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:15 am »

A tip, remember to hit "default colors" in the Events window, it assigns most events a color when they occur. Example:
You'll never miss a single important thing.

this doesn't work anymore for me (as of 5.53). I really miss it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7057 on: September 26, 2011, 10:39:28 am »

Purely hypothetical here, but if you were going to change one thing about Aurora, what would it be?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7058 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:48 am »

Purely hypothetical here, but if you were going to change one thing about Aurora, what would it be?
I would dissociate civilian population from orbital bodies allowing true generation ships, space habitats, and civilian crews on things like science vessels.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: September 26, 2011, 10:48:32 am »

a proper handling of the decimal point, self contained installation without dlls everywhere and zips within zip to unzip and overwrite, and the background of every other windows menu becoming blue when I play aurora.

as you see, no game by itself complaints  :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7060 on: September 26, 2011, 11:00:30 am »

It would be nice if he put in a sort of auto-calculate system for battles that have no player involvement, or some kind of accelerated simulation.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7061 on: September 26, 2011, 11:08:54 am »

One thing? Better NPR AI.

Right now they're too stupid to be a real challenge in the long term. Even just giving them a proper AI for research would go a long way, right now they'll do research with the wrong researchers (giving up the significant bonus), research the same thing more than once at a time (paying double for the same tech), and always put research on the back burner (it's the first to go for budget cuts, even in peace time - building a massive fleet of low tech fodder is more important). Plus they research the dumbest things.

I had a 50 year game where when I finally met the NPR 40 years in they had nuclear pulse engines still. I dug into the NPR techs in designer mode to see what they had researched, and they had picked up millions of RPs worth of jump drive tech and jump gate building tech (they had the capability of building jump gates in 30 days) and construction techs (they had 2100 ship building rate). They had built like 5000 jump gates and had a massive fleet of military ships and a bunch of little colonies, but their military ships were going 2700 km/s and their beam ships had a range of 30k km and their anti-ship missiles had a warhead of 4 with a speed of 16000 km/s and a measly range of 16m km. If they had spent half the points they put into those techs on more useful technologies they would have had a military that wasn't a complete joke. I sent in one 5000 ton beam ship armed with particle beams and gauss for point defense (with 100% hit rate on their crummy missiles) and wiped out their fleet. They couldn't touch it.

They had good research tech and like 80 labs too. If they had focused on making an effective military instead of their jump fetish they could have given my empire a real challenge.

Sometimes NPRs can be good, but mostly it seems to be just pure random chance if they research the right techs.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:11:04 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:35 am »

I'd make expansion more important.

Right now, unless you get unlucky sol will have enough resources for a whole game, and if it does not then it's almost certain one of the other systems right next door will have what you need. There's 1,000 systems in a default game (iirc), but you won't ever need more then 2 - 3 of them.

On top of that, new colonies don't actually get you anything significant - since population is unlimited on a planet you can just stack everything on earth, mars, and mercury and build financial centers if you need money. Automated mines are literally 100% automatic, and so are mass drivers, and it's just not worth the logistics and hassle and extra required protection of placing construction factories and shipyards around different places in your empire.

So the 'winning' strategy (insofar as a game with no win conditions has one) is to just camp sol and maybe 1 - 2 systems with automines and run up the tech tree till you get bored, then send scout ships through every jump point looking for someone to attack (just for the sake of attacking since you don't actually need their colonies or anything).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: September 26, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »

I have an idea, what about another spoiler enemy, space zombies?

They'd be like the swarm, only purely reliant on anything else there. The swarm can reproduce via wrecks that workers can create after mining, the zombies are totally reliant on other races to expand their fleet. They would have some motherships filled with small "troop transports" filled with "zombies" (which I picture more as tough organic matter rather than ships, the "zombies" being more like animalistic parasite things instead of dead sentients) and when a ship came in range they dumped out a few of the transports. The transports would then close in and ram straight through your hull, no need for the boarders to blast a hole, they would just punch right through your shields/armor. Then boarding combat would begin, when (if) the crew dies off the ship starts to badly contort and metal and flesh would fuse together to form this perverted organic body thing, a la Space Pirates and Zombies. These "zombie ships" would be armed with the weapons the ship had originally. If missiles were on board, they possibly could get turned into these organic suicide cannons which loaded small amounts of boarders (Say, 5 every missile size) onto a ship. That, combined with large enough/enough missiles could possibly land a whole company on board an enemy ship and the cycle would continue. If it could be added, these ships, being organic masses mixed with metal rather than solid metal, could regenerate damage at a slow rate. For the sake of balance, certain systems on the ship could be destroyed by the infection, like microwaves and shields. The marines/parasitic zombies of these vessels could have their readiness/strength increased by picking up life pods, where they would butcher the crew and add to their ranks. Obviously, this is a very rough idea and may need to be changed a lot to fit the current limitations of the game or to stop them from being able to run over everything they meet.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: September 26, 2011, 04:43:26 pm »

I don't think Steve would go for that - he's a big fan of hard sci-fi (as evidenced by his work on a Newtonian version of Aurora), and space zombies is... well, a fairly obscure set of the genre.

I would like to see a race that actually bothers with boarding. It'd give a reason to station marine companies on larger warships!
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 1347