Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808630 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #6975 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »

2. Ignore specific interrupts.  I know my grav surveyor has 8% fuel left.  It'll hit earth before it runs out, TRUST ME.  I don't need the game to get in the way of my autoturns.  Can I say "Display these warnings but do not interrupt"?  Same for Martian unrest.  Trust me, I am building you that PDC.  I don't care how whiny you are, it won't get it done faster.

As far as I can tell, this is impossible, and it's one of the reasons I stopped playing. I know the moon people I created are mad they are a minority in my empire, I don't care. I know venus's population keeps ping-ponging between happy and mad because civs keep dropping too many colonists and overpopulating it (yes I know they aren't supposed to do this anymore but they still do) there's nothing I can do about it, and I don't care anyway because it's only 0.000001% or whatever. etc.

it's so frustrating.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: September 22, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »

2. Ignore specific interrupts.  I know my grav surveyor has 8% fuel left.  It'll hit earth before it runs out, TRUST ME.  I don't need the game to get in the way of my autoturns.  Can I say "Display these warnings but do not interrupt"?  Same for Martian unrest.  Trust me, I am building you that PDC.  I don't care how whiny you are, it won't get it done faster.

As far as I can tell, this is impossible, and it's one of the reasons I stopped playing. I know the moon people I created are mad they are a minority in my empire, I don't care. I know venus's population keeps ping-ponging between happy and mad because civs keep dropping too many colonists and overpopulating it (yes I know they aren't supposed to do this anymore but they still do) there's nothing I can do about it, and I don't care anyway because it's only 0.000001% or whatever. etc.

it's so frustrating.

A lot of those messages can be filtered off, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: September 22, 2011, 11:26:18 pm »

it's so frustrating.

And if you don't want civs dropping colonists onto an unihabitable world, you could always set it as a colonist source, rather than destination.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:31 pm »

it's so frustrating.

The filter option does NOT stop the turns from pausing, I tried that at one point. It still pauses, just with nothing listed in the event log.

As for the colonists thing, yeah, I forgot about that... I did eventually do that, but they still kept reproducing over the limit anyway and since venus's colony cost was so high even if I manufactured 10,000 infrastructure and shipped it over it only stopped it for a few months anyway (yes I probably should have done the 500 years of terraforming before I sent people there, oh well).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:02 am »

it's so frustrating.

The filter option does NOT stop the turns from pausing, I tried that at one point. It still pauses, just with nothing listed in the event log.

As for the colonists thing, yeah, I forgot about that... I did eventually do that, but they still kept reproducing over the limit anyway and since venus's colony cost was so high even if I manufactured 10,000 infrastructure and shipped it over it only stopped it for a few months anyway (yes I probably should have done the 500 years of terraforming before I sent people there, oh well).
If you're not averse to cheating modifying, there's always SM mode. Pretend a meteor hit Venus and blew away most of the atmosphere, or something.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

Neither low fuel warnings nor unrest from overpopulation cause turns to pause, though. They just put warnings in the log.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6981 on: September 23, 2011, 01:21:23 am »

isn't there now also the "stable" option? which stops colonist from coming and going?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: September 23, 2011, 01:34:20 am »

Yes, there is indeed a Stable option.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: September 23, 2011, 08:35:20 am »

You can't choose Stable or Source if the population is below 25 million, though.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6984 on: September 23, 2011, 08:40:05 am »

From my experience colony ships won't drop people there unless there is infrastructure to support them. What gets you is the growth rate of the colonists already there. Even if no colonists ever get sent, a population on a place like Venus would quickly outgrow any infrastructure hauled there - unless you're hauling it in by the thousand.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: September 23, 2011, 08:54:41 am »

I kinda wish there was an intermediate maintenance option that made ships have a set rate of failure not based on an overhaul clock, and just require resupply with maintenance supplies every so often. That way resupplying a fleet of defense bases would be as simple as sending a supply ship every few years, instead of having to send tugs and give a bunch of orders to tow them back and forth. Maintenance facilities could be changed so that instead of keeping a ship at 0 clock or rewinding the clock they would reduce the failure rate of ships in orbit and take the supplies from the planet so you don't have to give the order for the ships to resupply constantly. With a system like this I'd even like to see civilian ships require maintenance, maybe at a reduced failure rate so they can go further between resupply and don't require as many engineering sections. It'd make more sense to have civilian and military parts instead of the whole ship, so you could still use civilian engines on a military ship for reduced maintenance cost if you wanted to - and putting one military part on a civ ship (like, say, grav sensors) wouldn't suddenly make your commercial engine start breaking down.

I'm putting this on the suggestion thread in the Aurora forums if you don't mind.

Also, you can already put commercial engines in military designs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:58:24 am by Dutchling »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: September 23, 2011, 09:25:55 am »

Yes, but they break down if it's a military ship.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6987 on: September 23, 2011, 10:52:25 am »

I'd love to see a sort of large-scale maintenance or overhaul module which can be added to larger ships that will completely eliminate the need for maintenance in it's taskgroup, instead costing wealth. Spin it as a well-equipped engineering facility built into large stations or ships which the other ships can use for spares and supplies. The wealth cost is the cost of operating the recycling and machining facilities as well as wages for personnel and replacement parts shipments. As it is, building large defense bases is a huge pain in the ass because they cannot be overhauled or maintained 'in place' unless you park them on a planetary population.

I'd also love the ability to mothball ships, stopping their maintenance clock but requiring a length (6 month?) reactivation period. While mothballed, they would cost wealth to maintain but suffer no failures and have no crew on board. They would be useless stationary targets if drawn into combat.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: September 23, 2011, 10:58:27 am »

There are certainly NPR combat pauses that one can't jump around, but I do not believe your low fuel problem will cause an interrupt, unless the ship has bingo fuel and has orders. I'm quite positive that in my most recent game I've had ships with < 10% fuel and still been able to run 30-day turns.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: September 23, 2011, 11:36:21 am »

I'd love to see a sort of large-scale maintenance or overhaul module which can be added to larger ships that will completely eliminate the need for maintenance in it's taskgroup, instead costing wealth. Spin it as a well-equipped engineering facility built into large stations or ships which the other ships can use for spares and supplies. The wealth cost is the cost of operating the recycling and machining facilities as well as wages for personnel and replacement parts shipments. As it is, building large defense bases is a huge pain in the ass because they cannot be overhauled or maintained 'in place' unless you park them on a planetary population.

I'd also love the ability to mothball ships, stopping their maintenance clock but requiring a length (6 month?) reactivation period. While mothballed, they would cost wealth to maintain but suffer no failures and have no crew on board. They would be useless stationary targets if drawn into combat.

Well, we already have maintenance modules, and the developer has admitted that industry modules only working in planetary orbit is a limitation of the game. Last I heard he was working on changing that, so eventually it might be possible to send a maintenance fleet with modules and a cargo bay full of minerals off to maintain your defense bases.
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 1347