Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809003 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5835 on: August 21, 2011, 01:32:06 pm »

Wow, you need to research better fuel efficiency.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: August 21, 2011, 01:32:58 pm »

It's not mine, it's a Swarm ship.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: August 21, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »

Okay, hopefully the last one for a long time: I've got a geological team, an xenological team and an engineering brigade on my Mars, which has a partially intact alien colony, and the summary indicates structures of number/level 170. Do I need to command the teams to begin work, or the brigade to begin installation recovery, or do they do it automatically? Because at this point I don't really believe it is that simple.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »

Okay, hopefully the last one for a long time: I've got a geological team, an xenological team and an engineering brigade on my Mars, which has a partially intact alien colony, and the summary indicates structures of number/level 170. Do I need to command the teams to begin work, or the brigade to begin installation recovery, or do they do it automatically? Because at this point I don't really believe it is that simple.
They automatically start, just give them some time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: August 21, 2011, 01:45:16 pm »

Thanks for all the help, finally back to the fun stuff. Namely, finding that one of my JPs is 2-way gated to the Proxima Centauri system, which contains two Earth-like planets and three wrecks... Here's hoping there aren't any hostiles one jump away through an undefended gate, or things could get interesting very fast.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: August 21, 2011, 01:51:47 pm »

I hope you have missiles with decent speed. I learned the hard way how easy it is to lose a fight using a beam ship when the enemy is a missile ship that moves faster than you do.

EDIT: One of my warships stumbled upon some enemy ships that were fast and dangerous, needless to say it was pulverized. A couple of years later, the same ships were found 5 jumps away attacking freighters.

It's a small galaxy, huh?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:06:04 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: August 21, 2011, 02:08:54 pm »

Actually as of yet, I have precisely 0 warships. And yes, yes there are hostile aliens in Proxima Centauri. My Gravsurvey vessels don't have sensors, so as of now the Napoleon 002 has escaped destruction. The sensor-equipped scout I sent in to snoop around? Not so much. But it did get a decent peek at their forces. Specifically, 2 contacts with an estimated tonnage of 13000, and 5 contacts of 6500 tons each, representing 3 classes. The only ships that fired on my scout were the two of the Izaro class (one of the 6500 ton varieties), which used either kinetics or energy weapons. These were also the only ships which used active sensors.

Time to get cracking on missile design. I'm looking at a Size 4 as my main ASM.

As the last of my current generation of mil research will complete in roughly a year, I'm going to bide my time and keep working on Mars. On that note, is there any way to completely clean a population off of a planet without cataclysmic damage to the world itself?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:12:21 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: August 21, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »

Hmm... You can use enhanced radiation nukes to kill off the population I think, it damages the industrial capacity though so it's only good if you want to steal all the installations and move them to other worlds.

I'm not sure what laser warheads will do, probably nothing on a world with a moderately dense atmosphere.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: August 21, 2011, 02:27:48 pm »

Pumping a moderate amount of FLUOR in the atmosphere can help. You don't want radiation if you want to use the planets, but dust isn't nearly as problematic, so energy weapons can work if the atmosphere is thin enough.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: August 21, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »

is there no video tutorials for this game? I learn so much easier by viewing rather than reading

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: August 21, 2011, 02:30:45 pm »

It won't kill the population I think, but if you can land enough soldiers on a world to overcome the enemies already there you *should* be able to liberate the world for your empire.
is there no video tutorials for this game? I learn so much easier by viewing rather than reading
I'm not sure, I think the only ones are text tutorials.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: August 21, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »

hrm that is a shame....still I guess I will get through it and learn the game

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5847 on: August 21, 2011, 03:07:41 pm »

It's not mine, it's a Swarm ship.
Oh thought you were referring to the troop transport

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: August 21, 2011, 05:23:38 pm »

Pumping a moderate amount of FLUOR in the atmosphere can help. You don't want radiation if you want to use the planets, but dust isn't nearly as problematic, so energy weapons can work if the atmosphere is thin enough.

Or just suck up all their air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VptOUWC-Itc
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: August 21, 2011, 05:37:31 pm »

Or just suck up all their air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VptOUWC-Itc
But that takes more time... If you add a little fluorine or maybe chlorine to the atmosphere, you don't need to leave the terraformer there for a long time.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 1347