Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2808925 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5865 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:47 am »

alright thanks for that...what would be the best way to go about some stuff...from what I have read I should get some mass drivers and auto miners on asteroids/planets and have them shoot to earth? (also having a mass driver)
That's the best way. But manual mines are faster for habitable planets.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:06 am »

Greetings. I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but with over 300 pages to sift through.... yeah. :P

I see that the windows are not resizeable (which is horifically annoying), so what is the optimum resolution for it?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5867 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:46 am »

Greetings. I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but with over 300 pages to sift through.... yeah. :P

I see that the windows are not resizeable (which is horifically annoying), so what is the optimum resolution for it?

there is an option "heightened windows" or something. click on it.
but in any case, minimun is *something* X 1024... or 1024 * something*
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: August 22, 2011, 08:11:57 am »

I've tried the reduced height windows, it doesn't change anything at all for me. And that sucks, anything higher than my native 1440x900 is super eye strain-o-vision.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:00 am »

I've tried the reduced height windows, it doesn't change anything at all for me. And that sucks, anything higher than my native 1440x900 is super eye strain-o-vision.

I believe the minimum resolution to not have anything cut off is (X) x 1024. The reduced height windows only makes a few pixels difference but is still worth using. I'm using laptop resolution which is absolute shit for this, but the only windows where important stuff is actually unclickable are the task group screen, the commanders screen, and the system information screen. For those there are a few desktop scrollers that can get you enough button up to click, and then you can keep the window centered and just not close it, so you can click everything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:40 am »

alright thanks for that...what would be the best way to go about some stuff...from what I have read I should get some mass drivers and auto miners on asteroids/planets and have them shoot to earth? (also having a mass driver)

any other good starting tasks I should set into motion? I am gonna try to set that up and then try and terraform mars...and then from there build up a fleet of some high tech massive ships!

There's multiple ways to do mining. Automines are generally your best option for moons and planets which are uninhabitable. If they're somewhat habitable then establishing a colony might be better. Not only are regular mines a lot cheaper but having multiple colonies will really give the civilian shipping lines a shot in the arm. Used in conjunction with civilian contracts, setting up new colonies can be relatively painless (if somewhat slow).

For asteroids, you can go automines and a mass driver or you can build some asteroid miner ships. If there's only a handful of major asteroids, and you have a core colony planet in-system, then I'd go with the automines/driver set up. But if it's mostly lots of little asteroids, or you're already low on resources, or you have no colony in-system that can be used as a gathering point, I'd use mining ships.

Terraforming is a long-term projoect. Mars is relatively habitable compared to a lot of places you'll find out there, and it still takes decades to terraform to the point where you no longer need infrastructure.

Some other good things to get started on:

--Build a surveyor fleet.
I like to use one of two models:
  • A squadron of 3 light military vessels with geosurvey and grav survey sensors, jumpdrives, lots of fuel, decent speed and hyper-capable engines. Once they hit a new system, they split into seperate ships and each takes a "ring" of geosurvey points, with the inner ring vessel also scanning any worlds of interest. Then they form back up into a single group and hit the next jump point. Even though the outer ring vessel has a lot further to travel, that ring is typically outside the hyper limit.
  • 3 FACs with both survey sensors and enough fuel to transit about 30 billion km, and a single jump-capable carrier vessel with lots of fuel, a maintenance bay, and sufficient hangar space for the 3 FACs. Possibly some light defensive weaponry as well.

I'm actually coming to favor the 2nd model heavily, because it's cheaper and far safer. If you stumble across Precursors or a hostile NPR, you'll lose a cheaply replaceable FAC instead of an expensive 6-7kton survey vessel. Downside is that if you lose the carrier, your FACs are stuck.

--Start assembling your skill teams.
Find unassigned officers with high skills in espionage, diplomacy, and xenology and create a team for each. Even though they're not actively doing anything, it'll keep them from getting released every 6-7 years like most unassigned officers. There's nothing worse than losing a 30% officer to dismissal. Plus, just being in the team will count as training, and they'll steadily build up. When you see new officers pop up with high stats, you can always dismiss and rebuild the team to drop the weakest link and add new officers. After several years, your teams will be pretty highly skilled so that when you finally *do* meet another race, you can bust out some grade-A diplomacy on them. Or when you find ruins, you can have a better result of what gets found.

Geology teams are a different animal. Start them out on a moons to get their skill up (asteroids take too long to get results, and you don't want unskilled teams completing planetary surveys too soon), then rotate them through the planets. You can even assign them to planets which showed no minerals, and they'll often find a node or two.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: August 22, 2011, 09:24:22 am »

Hmm. I was swapping a bit of CO2 for Safe Greenhouse Gas(my terraformers use SGG rather than CO2 to increase temp), and I ran into Error 11 (the one for division by zero). Now I get the popup for that error whenever I view that planet in the Econ screen. Is there any way to resolve it short of deleting the system (Which is always an option, as I haven't explored that chain very much.)?

3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: August 22, 2011, 01:17:14 pm »

Try using Space Master mode and mess with the stats of the planet (like the atmosphere, or the buildings if that may be the problem) until the error stops.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: August 22, 2011, 01:20:20 pm »

I'd love to get into this game, it looks like it has so much potential, but the learning curve is just obscene for me. Is there any like, very much taken by the hand beginners guide anywhere?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: August 22, 2011, 01:25:32 pm »

There is the tutorial on the wiki, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. Still, give it a try.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: August 22, 2011, 01:47:43 pm »

Try using Space Master mode and mess with the stats of the planet (like the atmosphere, or the buildings if that may be the problem) until the error stops.

That was how the problem started; I was using SM mode to remove the CO2 and replace it with SGG.  :-\

I'd love to get into this game, it looks like it has so much potential, but the learning curve is just obscene for me. Is there any like, very much taken by the hand beginners guide anywhere?

Well, there is this one by the creator, but he only covers maybe a third of the windows or features, skims over a lot of the stuff he covers, and teaches you to use SM mode to cheat, which probably actually hurt my understanding of the game.

On another note, how do jump tenders work? As in, how do you get one ship with a JD to transfer others than don't have one? Because I tried a number of setups, including the JS + 2 ships with lower mass than the max mass specified by the drive, then only one of those ships, both as a part of the same TG as the JS and seperate from it. Does the drive need to have a max mass rating greater than the total mass of all ships being transferred, or just greater than the most massive ship? Because I've got a JS with a drive rated to 8 ships and 145,000 tons on the way out to the point in question, and if that doesn't work idk what I'll do.

3. Run Resize Enable

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: August 22, 2011, 02:12:01 pm »

I just built jumpgates instead of messing with jump drives.

I have one single jumpdrive capable ship I send in to scout, if it's all clear (which it always has been so far...) I slap a jumpgate on. Saves researching all that jumpdrive tech, and the logistics of ferrying ships around.

(it helps I had a 60 labs 60% C/P researcher for a long time who helped blow through the jumpgate research really, really quickly)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: August 22, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

I found this format of the tutorial to be a little better as it does include forum functions and therefore a few questions below each tutorial with some important points covered.

The learning curve is a lot like DF in that at first glance it seems overwhelming...but as you run through the tutorials you start to see the intuitive flow of the UI and all that jazz.

I ran through it last night piece by piece and am at a point where I am comfortable with the UI and I am just tinkering around to make sure I KNOW the features and what not...you can do it! trust me!

I was also curious...with a combination of tugs and orbital habitats (or if possible even large ships that serve the same function) is it possible to have a flotilla race with no real home planet? (make your initial habitats and leave your doomed planet?)

Also is it possible to recycle buildings? ships? etc?

I would love to try and RP out something like the Migrant fleet of quarians in mass effect. Set up star cooling or warming and use that as my timer and go from there
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:43:32 pm by dennislp3 »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: August 22, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »

Not sure about recycling old stuff, but it is impossible to have space stations with orbital habitats. Habitats work by merging themselves with an existing colony/planet's population limit like terraformers and asteroid miners so you need to have them anchored to something, even some useless rock in the middle of nowhere.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: August 22, 2011, 04:06:25 pm »

For ships, I think you can abandon them and have a wrecker ship salvage them if it has more cargo tonnage capacity than the abandoned ship's tonnage. Otherwise they only take what they can hold. Also you will want to have a ship standing by to rescue the crew before they die.

I don't know about recycling buildings since I put them on a freighter to somewhere else if they aren't needed.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 1347