Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810663 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4650 on: April 24, 2011, 04:51:33 pm »

Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. How the hell do you increase refitting/construction in shipyards besides research? By the time my shipyard is done refitting for my first warship I'll already have the tech to design a much more advanced warship. Oh and it's a 60k shipyard with 1 slipway and the ship in question is around 30 tons.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: April 24, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »

Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. How the hell do you increase refitting/construction in shipyards besides research? By the time my shipyard is done refitting for my first warship I'll already have the tech to design a much more advanced warship. Oh and it's a 60k shipyard with 1 slipway and the ship in question is around 30 tons.
Get more shipyards, dedicate a few for the classes you'll build the most (Cargo ship, basic warship, etc.), and of course, using the outdated tech ship. You don't need to upgrade as soon as possible.

Also, you can build other ship classes in a shipyard, if the class is extremely similar to the one the shipyard is fitted to.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:50 pm »

Also, you can build other ship classes in a shipyard, if the class is extremely mostly similar to the one the shipyard is fitted to.
To be exact:

Assigned Class: The primary ship class that can be built in the slipways of this shipyard complex. It is possible that other ship classes can be built in the same shipyard without retooling. For a second class to qualify as eligible for construction, it must be possible to refit a ship of the primary class to that class for less than 20% of the primary ship class cost.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: April 24, 2011, 07:56:00 pm »

Get more shipyards, dedicate a few for the classes you'll build the most (Cargo ship, basic warship, etc.), and of course, using the outdated tech ship. You don't need to upgrade as soon as possible.

Also, you can build other ship classes in a shipyard, if the class is extremely similar to the one the shipyard is fitted to.

I understand that, my question being is once I decide to refit the speed is atrociously slow. I want to know how to increase that, not avoid it totally.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: April 24, 2011, 08:15:33 pm »

I understand that, my question being is once I decide to refit the speed is atrociously slow. I want to know how to increase that, not avoid it totally.
Only research I believe.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: April 25, 2011, 07:26:40 am »

Get several slipway: it is more efficient to have one shipyard with two slipay to refit than two shipyards.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: April 25, 2011, 07:28:21 am »

Also, any hints for dealing with the worm hole aliens with near-starter tech?
...Run away? Well, either that or shoot LOADS of missiles at them.

Neither option worked, unfortunately. Not enough missiles. Ah well, time for a fresh start.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: April 25, 2011, 09:04:46 am »

Also, what you're refitting plays a big part. Refitting small components like electronics and weapons is fairly quick and cheap (and often can be done without having to retool the shipyard). Refitting things that cause major structural changes (engines, jumpdrives, drastically changing hullsize) take a lot longer and typically require retooling. Retooling takes a LONG time and should be avoided where possible. If it's for a small ship, it might be cheaper and faster to just build a new shipyard, especially if it's for a limited-use ship.

I typically expand my freighter and colony yards to 5 slipways each, so I can build whole transport squadrons at one time. Warships, I'll expand to whatever my squadron composition dictates. For example, if I have a tactical unit of one jump-capable cruiser and four non-jump missile destroyers, I'll leave the cruiser yard at 1 slipway, and expand the destroyer yard to four, so that I can build a new squadron whole-cloth.

Bear in mind that the more slipways a yard has, the longer it takes to retool.

You're pretty much always going to be building ships that will be in part obsolete by the time they leave their moorings. That's actually realistic.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: April 25, 2011, 11:19:03 am »

Question: Does a fighter have to be under a certain hull size/tonnage?

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: April 25, 2011, 11:41:48 am »

Yes. 10 HS/ 500 tons

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: April 25, 2011, 11:44:49 am »

Yes. 10 HS/ 500 tons

Excellent. That explains a lot.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: April 25, 2011, 11:48:22 am »

I believe so. Gunboats have to be under 1,000 tons, while fighters have to be under 500. Reduced size componants can help a lot in these instances.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: April 25, 2011, 12:00:49 pm »

Gunboats have to be under 1,000 tons

Gunboats don't appear to be a distinct class, unlike fighters.  They have no special rules.  GB engines do not define a gunboat, though they're only useful for small (generally < 1000 tons, but that's not required) gunboats since you can't have multiple GB engines, and if you're going to build a gunboat you may as well give it a GB engine for its power/size ratio.

Also, why under 1000 tons?  Because > 1000 means you need a bridge.  That's extra weight a small, fast warship doesn't need.  Weight aside, the game doesn't seem to treat a ship any differently with a bridge versus without one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:02:55 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: April 25, 2011, 12:05:37 pm »

One more question: can you drop units to a population using drop module? I need to invade some NPR, and I'm not sure what's the best way: dropping soldiers or unloading them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: April 25, 2011, 12:14:39 pm »

One more question: can you drop units to a population using drop module? I need to invade some NPR, and I'm not sure what's the best way: dropping soldiers or unloading them.

AFAIK here's how drop modules differ functionally from troop bays:
  • Unloading a drop module takes no time (i.e. 5 seconds)
  • Units slowly lose morale while inside a drop module

Planetary combat occurs only on the 5-day increment, so you don't need drop modules unless (a) your dropships are under fire or (b) your poorly-designed dropships (cargo-handling is best-handling) can't finish unloading before your troops are attacked.

IMO drop modules are only useful for boarding combat.  Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1347