Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813174 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3795 on: March 05, 2011, 11:54:06 pm »

Arn't missles made in the same builder (sort of) as the ship builder?

So you could make giant missles?

Giant missiles need giant launchers, missile cost scales linearly with size (assuming the same MSP ratios), and large missiles are just as easy to shoot down as small ones (since you probably aren't wasting MSPs on heavy armor).  The AI just loves anti-missile missiles, so blowing your load on a few easy-to-stop missiles is careless when you could easily land some hits with smaller ones.  The benefit of large missiles is in penetration since they can carry larger warheads.

Also, something to think about with missiles:  You can go the penetration route (optimal warhead sizes are perfect squares e.g. 1, 4, 9, 16) or the sandpaper route (swarms of WH 1 missiles to bypass missile defenses, but you have to pretty much remove all the enemy's armor before you reach the juicy bits).

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: March 06, 2011, 12:28:19 am »

Just started a new game. Gonna try a new type of strategy this time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it obvious what I'm gonna do?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: March 06, 2011, 04:15:23 am »

Stop making me want to play this again :(

I'm just gonna get mad at the 5 sec increment battles again.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: March 06, 2011, 04:54:18 am »

Is it possible to make an armored missile?

EDIT: No seriously. Then you could make it big.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:36:21 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: March 06, 2011, 06:51:30 am »

Yes you can, but I don't think it related to the explosive power. Armored missiles basically keeps them from being destroyed instantly by missile defense systems.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: March 06, 2011, 01:19:17 pm »

And armoring a missile reduces it's overall performance due making the missile bigger. That's why not a lot of people armor their missiles.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:46 pm »

I think it's worth it, a small amount of armor can cut the effectiveness of defense systems in half, so unless your paying twice as much for the armor/extra fuel/extra speed your going to be making a profit, not to mention that you'll be saving on ammo storage space.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: March 07, 2011, 11:30:24 am »

I'm pretty sure Steve explained how missile armor works, once upon a time.  IIRC the chance of a hit destroying the missile is [damage] / [damage + armor].  So a gauss/CIWS hit has a 1 in (armor + 1) chance of destroying it.  A 10cm laser has a 3 in (armor + 3) chance.  And so forth.

Exceptions:  Plasma torpedoes have some sort of inherent armor, so lasers on point defense are highly recommended.  Mesons ignore armor for normal missiles but not plasma torps.

I couldn't find his post on normal missile armor just now, so take that with a grain of salt.  He has a few short posts on torpedo "armor" here.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: March 07, 2011, 12:43:51 pm »

By analyzing some combat logs I've got an impression that plasma torpedoes have effective armor proportional to their remaining strength. I think it was like 1 or 2 hits from a gauss CIVS at near max range and about 8-10 hits at mid-range for size 32 torps. My conclusion was that it was impossible to build enough PD against a medium-sized group of Invaders.

My estimates were that same resources at the same tech level as PD would be more effectively spent on enough conventional shields to provide better results. If I ever to play again with Invaders on I would try that route + meson fighters as strike force instead of volleys of costly missiles.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:51 am »

Aurora 5.4 is Released! [it may be a unstable version]

Change Log
-----------

Reduced Height Windows (Resolution of 1280x800 required) [800 vertical screen resolution option]
New Interrupt Override option [can overide all interrupts]
New Multiple Targets option for the Battle Control window [auto-target similar targets]
Added a Refit Cost check to the Class Window
Fire Delay is no longer an interrupt event.
New event of reloading complete for missile launchers of parasites in hangar bay.
On landing, parasites are automatically assigned new missiles from their mothership's magazine based on their class loadout
Hostile ground unit names are displayed when an an enemy unit is destroyed or suffers casualties.
Populations are checked for incoming mineral packets if you attempt to pick up the last mass driver on the surface.

Bug Fixes
---------

Fixed problem where parasites were not being refuelled properly when using the new landing orders
Damage from ramming is now included in the danger rating for a system
When moving to the nearest trade location, freighters now check if the current system should be excluded due to its danger rating
When clearing orders for commercial shipping, the ships will correctly set standard transits through jump points rather than squadron transits.
Removed incorrect shield recharge messages for alien ships that don't even have shields.
Fixed incorrect reporting of absorption shield recharge rate for tactical intelligence
Prevented NPRs from launching missiles/PT at colony targets from outside the range of their missiles.
Corrected bug that applied collateral damage against populations when a ship in orbit was damaged.
Fixed bug that prevented ships from launching anti-missiles in certain circumstances.
Fixed bug that sometimes caused colony ships to deliver colonists to unsuitable planets with orbital habitats already at max capacity
Fixed bug that repeated number of fighters built if multiple fighters of the same type were constructed during the same 5-day increment
Ships transferred from Empire A to Empire B and then back to Empire A no longer create a duplicate class for Empire A.
Fixed salvage bug that resulted in '0x Component' being recovered.
Fixed bug where the number of components on a planet is not reduced if only a fraction of a component is loaded by a freighter
Ship and fighter commanders are unassigned when their ship/fighter is scrapped or deleted. If the ship is in orbit of a population, they are placed at that population.
Commanders of expended replacement battalions are now unassigned.
Various bugs involving ground units and populations that result from the defeat of robotic guardians should be fixed
More changelong info
Patch thread

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:49 am »

Fuck yes, it's now playable.

Now to paw dumbly at the many menus.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:03 am »

Now if only 5.40 actually works...Have to wait for a hotfix it would seems.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:07 am »

Yep, 5.40 spams a lot of form load erros with "path not found" and somethng else for me :(. Just when I wanted to try to get into this game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:41 am »

Good to know I'm not the only one who gets those errors, any of the recent updates just give me error chains too.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: March 10, 2011, 01:14:23 pm »

Yep, 5.40 spams a lot of form load erros with "path not found" and somethng else for me :(. Just when I wanted to try to get into this game.
Yea it gave me errors when i tried to create a new game, which was fixed when i did a fresh install.

you could try a completely fresh install [the 4.9 install /patch] + 5.4, which is working fine for me atm.

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 1347