Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813690 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3480 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:23 pm »

Either way, at 37k my Aklay craft is taking about 2 pages of mesons per 5 seconds. Ouch.

Aaaand an engine just exploded.

Uh whuuuu... Aklay is now at point blank to the mothership. Apparently in the 5 seconds from which I went from 4k to 0 a bunch of tiny ships spawned (possibly docked at mothership?) and began fruitlessly ramming my shields. Getting dozens of messages of tiny ships ramming my shields, doing 0 damage to the shields, before taking 1900 damage themselves, dieing instantly. Apparently there are a bunch of those 800 ton craft, which may or may not be the ones ramming me, which spawned as well.

Hmm... Those other 800 ton craft seem to be coming in from elsewhere... Seems mommy called her children to defend her. :)

20 of my original 50 turrets are left, with only 1 power plant remaining.

Holy crap I won.
My ship and mothership collided, doing heavy damage to both, mothership exploded. :D

1 power plant remaining, 5 of each turret type remaining. No more sensors though, which will soon prove to be a problem as there happens to be a fleet of little ones bearing down on my position... On the plus side, they may not detect me since my ship's thermal emisions are now 100 XD

With no remaining options, the ship was deleted to prevent its nearly 97000 ton corpse from falling into their hands. In two years, its successor shall come; a ship which can destroy their motherships without resorting to ramming it to death.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:32:31 pm by alway »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 27, 2010, 11:49:17 pm »

Holy crap I won.
My ship and mothership collided, doing heavy damage to both, mothership exploded. :D

You lucky son of a bitch!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I thought only precursors could ram.  I now wonder if point blank range always results in collision with hostiles.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 11:51:52 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 28, 2010, 12:17:59 am »

Makes you want to build a swarm of ramming suicide bomber ships with heavy armor and shields, and missiles that go 10 feet.

I like to give certain planets more minerals. Doesn't make sense that there are so few. WHat are you suppose to do when you run out? Move everything from the planet to another one?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: October 28, 2010, 12:23:09 am »

I like to give certain planets more minerals. Doesn't make sense that there are so few. WHat are you suppose to do when you run out? Move everything from the planet to another one?
No, just move the mines to the new planets, then transport the metals via either mass driver if they're in the same system, or by freighters if in different systems.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: October 28, 2010, 05:40:54 am »

Just so you know, it's not maeson. It's also not mason.

It's meson.
True story.

Is there a change log for the changes between 5.14 and 5.20?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: October 28, 2010, 07:09:09 am »

No, just move the mines to the new planets, then transport the metals via either mass driver if they're in the same system, or by freighters if in different systems.

Ah sorry I meant in the entire system. Some planets only have 1000 of 1 type of metal so it can run out sometimes.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 28, 2010, 09:23:31 am »

You will find quite a few planets with well over 1 million of a mineral. Set up mines there and ship it back. The finite resources seem to be more of an incentive to expand than anything else. Alternatively, asteroid/comet mining works well for me. Build some ships with mining modules and you can get a decent chunk of minerals from the asteroids in a system. Set up a cargo ship to cycle to all your asteroid mines in a system and you get quite the nice income.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:25:52 am by alway »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: October 28, 2010, 01:28:21 pm »

You can also drop off Geosurvey teams on random large moons or planets and hope they find minerals that you want. Sure, it may be slow and the chance to find anything with accessibility higher then 0.1 is very low, but the minerals come in the hundred thousands, and you get to pick where they search thus where the minerals will be spawned.

Is there a change log for the changes between 5.14 and 5.20?
Unfortunately, no.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: October 28, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »

Yeah but they can only find a limited amount of resources. I usually end up with sever lack of 2-3 resources. Many times it has been for fuel and that pretty much ended the game without cheating.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: October 28, 2010, 05:33:31 pm »

Yeah but they can only find a limited amount of resources. I usually end up with sever lack of 2-3 resources. Many times it has been for fuel and that pretty much ended the game without cheating.

This right here is potentially my second biggest problem with Aurora.  If you run out of a vital resource, it's game over.  There's no "my economy is crippled but I can eventually limp along to a new mineral source so long as nobody decides to wipe me out" phase.

#1 problem:  It runs sooo slooowly after you've explored half a dozen systems and/or created half a dozen colonies -- even if they're just asteroid mines and such.

#2 or #3 problem:  The interface.  It is awful.  Sure, you get used to it eventually, but that doesn't make it good.

Despite all that, I'm still contemplating reinstalling it.  It's somehow addicting.  Must be that "one more turn" syndrome...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:37:10 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 28, 2010, 05:41:06 pm »

#1 problem:  It runs sooo slooowly after you've explored half a dozen systems and/or created half a dozen colonies -- even if they're just asteroid mines and such.
Also, NPRs further slow down the game too with their shenanigans and idiocy, which is why I never have any.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:24 pm »

Also, NPRs further slow down the game too with their shenanigans and idiocy, which is why I never have any.

I usually start with none but allow them to appear as I explore new systems.  It lets me delay them until my ships are fast enough to actually get things done during the increasingly-long turns.  It further helps to engage in total war immediately to inhibit their tendency to spawn yet more NPRs (which I can only afford to do by cheating myself more minerals).

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: October 28, 2010, 06:42:57 pm »

While i completely agree the interface is perhaps, the worst in any game i've ever played..and the insane slowness if NPR's fight eachother is the most horrible thing ever...
this never bothered me:
This right here is potentially my second biggest problem with Aurora.  If you run out of a vital resource, it's game over.  There's no "my economy is crippled but I can eventually limp along to a new mineral source so long as nobody decides to wipe me out" phase.
...besides absolutely horrible planning [no way of making a new colony and frieghtering materials and Civ's arnt helping you either], i assume the only reason you would be in that situation is because a NPR came through and slaughtered you.. leaving maybe some random colony that never had the resources/infulstructure to colonize space.. Both seem desirable to me, as you should be punished for screwing up that badly in planning.. there are so many ways to get so many materials [from civs to mining ships to mass drivers to freighting it], or a NPR came through and nearly killed you but you got lucky that it missed something...you should have to deal with those situations...
If you dont want to deal with that then... cheat? or perhaps.. change your stradegy?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: October 28, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »

It isn't horrible planning. You get limited resources and usually are in danger of running out of an important one. Then you cannot make any more missiles, or can only make a certain amount of ships, or the worst one... Only have a limited amount of fuel. The game does not include recycling, the minerals just disappear.

It sucks when your forced to play a time limited game.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:53 pm »

...i dont understand? Have you ever made some survey ships and sent them around to other systems? have you never seen a planet with millions of resources[minerals] in it? they arn't that rare...  I've honestly never had any issues with running out of resources... ever..... do you have any idea how long it takes to use millions of minerals?
I've come across single solar systems that contain literally, millions of every resource... enough resources to build 100's of huge ships and maintain them for decades if not centuries... I wont say that its common to find a solar system with millions of every resource, but i would be suprised if you couldn't find every single resouce in the millions range after exploring a bunch of different solar systems with geo-survey ships... [if you want resources in the millions and want to find them quicker, you could just survey all the planets]...

...are you complaining about not enough resources in the sol system? because thats a "feature" put in to force you to expand out and force you to explore/build in other solar systems. Most sol-like solar systems have far more resources then the start solar system, which is only handicapped on purpose.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:00:34 pm by Rift »
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 1347