Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813703 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3285 on: August 19, 2010, 04:38:02 pm »

This sounds cool, but how do you play it at a smaller resolution?

Even if you could, you shouldn't do so. There is a lot of infor fort his game, that at times demands more then big ass monitor.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3286 on: August 19, 2010, 11:14:59 pm »

This sounds cool, but how do you play it at a smaller resolution?

Even if you could, you shouldn't do so. There is a lot of infor fort his game, that at times demands more then big ass monitor.
Having an interface that scales doesn't mean less information.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: August 21, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »

From one of the threads on this game, it sounds like a scaled interface means squashed up information and a lot of squinting. Oddly enough, I might actually buy a big monitor to play an indie game that barely has graphics :P

I'll probably get around to checking it out when I'm done with these assignments and reports. Damn high learning curve games.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3288 on: August 22, 2010, 05:28:01 am »

From one of the threads on this game, it sounds like a scaled interface means squashed up information and a lot of squinting. Oddly enough, I might actually buy a big monitor to play an indie game that barely has graphics :P

I'll probably get around to checking it out when I'm done with these assignments and reports. Damn high learning curve games.
That is just because he refuses to make the interface scale in an intelligent way, so when you change the window size it just gets all squashed up and unreadable. There are lots of ways to present the necessary information in different window sizes, but he doesn't care. He made the game for himself and his custom setup.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:36 am »

I just got past the tangent of the learning curve, i.e. I could kinda figure out what things do based off intuition. It's a pretty cool game. This game actually seems quite suited for multiplayer.

Still have a bit to figure out like actual combat. And missiles. Missiles look complicated.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:52:18 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: August 27, 2010, 07:22:40 pm »

I just got past the tangent of the learning curve, i.e. I could kinda figure out what things do based off intuition. It's a pretty cool game. This game actually seems quite suited for multiplayer.
Yeah, it does.

Still have a bit to figure out like actual combat. And missiles. Missiles look complicated.
Don't worry, missiles are easy to learn.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: August 27, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »

That is just because he refuses to make the interface scale in an intelligent way, so when you change the window size it just gets all squashed up and unreadable. There are lots of ways to present the necessary information in different window sizes, but he doesn't care. He made the game for himself and his custom setup.
Well that and the fact that he's a programmer, not a graphic designer.  It's not a crime, but, well, this speaks for itself.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 06, 2010, 12:43:31 am »

If only something could be done about that 5 second interval spam :(

Why can't you just let the computer guesstimate the battles when you aren't observing them? Throw in a few algorithms.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 06, 2010, 01:37:43 am »

If only something could be done about that 5 second interval spam :(

Why can't you just let the computer guesstimate the battles when you aren't observing them? Throw in a few algorithms.
I know what you mean. It really does suck.

But if you want, you can delete the entire system entirely if you can see it and it's not vital for your game. I used that before and tada, no more interrupts.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:20 am »

But I don't want to have only 1 enemy the entire game.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: September 06, 2010, 01:51:03 am »

Would you rather have the game running at 5 second intervals forever?

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 06, 2010, 02:01:27 am »

Why doesnt the game just churn through the five second intervals silently in the background? That way time advances, the battle plays out the same, and the player dosnt notice anything(except maybe a slightly longer processing time)
Signature goes here.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 06, 2010, 03:51:16 am »

Why doesnt the game just churn through the five second intervals silently in the background? That way time advances, the battle plays out the same, and the player dosnt notice anything(except maybe a slightly longer processing time)

Automated turns runs increments until something happens to the player. It still takes a while for it to run all of those 5 second increments however.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3298 on: September 07, 2010, 01:02:23 am »

Its a bug with battles not ending the way they should.

If its normal battles they usually don't take too long to resolve - one side gets blown up and your back to normal. But then you get issues where both sides glitch out, like when they run out of ammo and still keep trying to fight so it stays in 5 second intervals forever. Only way to fix that is to use designer mode to nuke the ships (or the entire system, as Tarran mentioned).

In one game in an older version two NPRs were at war and it would go into 5 second intervals every few ingame months as they had little skirmishes, but it usually only took a minute or so. The worst that ever came out of that was one long battle where two big fleets clashed and it went into 5 second intervals for ~10 minutes. Not long after that the victor wiped out the other one and I didn't get any more 5 second intervals from them. You occasionally get it from an NPR fighting stuff like the swarm or ancient ships, but that usually doesn't last long either unless it gets buggy.

Last time I played (before the whole wormhole invasion thing) I would turn on designer mode and watch the action when the 5 second intervals started, removing things if necessary to correct them. It does kinda kill the suspense when you know exactly whats out there though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »

Has anyone noticed that the site itself has been "temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes" for the last couple of hours?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 1347