Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815344 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2655 on: March 21, 2010, 12:22:54 am »

you should post this on his forum, He doesnt want anyone of us touching his tutorials on the wiki...... or else
What do you mean? Why is it on a wiki if he doesn't want it edited?

Is he angry at bay12ers or what?

Hehe, yeah. The first ~20 posts on this thread were whining about experiencing errors, or having difficulties with the installer, or about the resolution requirements being freakin' ridiculous for a spreadsheet-based game. Steve made a few posts and then quit in disgust (and with a couple of fairly angry posts, at that).

I don't know if he's flat-out mad at B12, but you probably shouldn't parade your B12 origins around over there, just in case.  ;)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2656 on: March 21, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

If you go back and read when he still was posting it was when we did not have answers for most of the common complaints and because we picked it up here, here was where we complained. Mostly it was the screen resolution thing in the end that did it in because people would come read the firstish page of the thread try to play it and find that problem making the game unplayable so they come back here and post without checking if X* number of people had already found that out and post about it. Steve would go nuclear over the suggesting that he shoult make it work for lower resolutions and then the cycle would repeat itself till he left.

*X being an absurdly large number.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: March 21, 2010, 12:59:35 am »

If you go back and read when he still was posting it was when we did not have answers for most of the common complaints and because we picked it up here, here was where we complained. Mostly it was the screen resolution thing in the end that did it in because people would come read the firstish page of the thread try to play it and find that problem making the game unplayable so they come back here and post without checking if X* number of people had already found that out and post about it. Steve would go nuclear over the suggesting that he shoult make it work for lower resolutions and then the cycle would repeat itself till he left.

*X being an absurdly large number.

pretty much, the first like 30 pages of this thread were really harsh.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2658 on: March 21, 2010, 01:33:40 am »

to be fair to us, releasing a game and making it work only on a non-standard resolutions is kind of out there.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: March 21, 2010, 01:53:19 am »

I wonder why basically everyone was too lazy to just deal with the damned problems, I have a 1440 by 900 screen, and all I need is ResizeEnable, having a small screen is not that big of a problem, and learning the game is basically the same as dwarf fortress without a big wiki or any video tutorials, we are to blame for the few tutorials, not Steve, the game designer's job is to put out the files with or without basic tutorials, get select fans, get new fans to ask old fans for tutorials, old fans give tutorials, and it ends up basically like dwarf fortress.

Steve gave us basic tutorials, and what does he get from this forum? :(

Like, for example, Prospector, it has no tutorials and yet it has none or very few complaints about not having one. its a rougelike, it does not apply.

I mean, did toady one even make one tutorial? if he did, show me.

Heck, we are the select fans right now, we are adding loads of information in one topic... at rapid speed. :P

Also, what does everyone think about my missiles?

Quote from: from my edit some posts ago.
just so everyone knows I'm horrible at names, here are my missiles!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:16:33 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: March 21, 2010, 02:32:30 am »

It isn't that people are too lazy, it's that, first off, having a game only run on an above-standard resolution is kind of odd, and second, a lot of people simply can't set their resolutions that high, and don't feel like trying to configure their computer to run something that has little guarantee of being enjoyable (the Aurora community is tiny, and if you notice most of the complaints are from the first few pages, before more people than the OP could give their approval of the game).  It also has a few aspects like it's overwhelming complexity and scale, it's spartan user interface, and its many semi-obscure gameplay aspects and mechanics which are often unappealing to more casual players, but tolerable or even enjoyable to many others.

And regarding Dwarf Fortress, a lot of people do complain about the user-unfriendly interface, extreme difficulty, and (before the community's efforts) lack of explanation for just about everything, just not here, where the fans and people who have adjusted to the game's quirks are.  Take a look at any DF thread on 4chan's /tg/ board sometime, and I can all but guarantee someone will complain about the game being ugly, or making no sense, or about how Toady cares more about modeling realistic fingernail growth than about making the game playable (no kidding, that's an actual (cleaned up) complaint I remember reading around the time Toady mentioned tissue layers and growth).  But Dwarf Fortress has age and exposure, which have resulted in a sizable community of knowledgeable players to compensate for a lot of the shortcomings, something Aurora, whose first major exposure to the masses was here, only months ago, has not yet had time to achieve.

Point is, arguing about it gets us nothing but anger (from the dev).  Aurora has barriers that prevent the game from being more accessible, like DF, and like DF it needs time/public exposure to overcome these barriers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:42:25 am by Trorbes »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: March 21, 2010, 02:55:20 am »

well one upside as to having a higher minimum resolution for playing the game is that the UI can have better design with more visible area on it.

I dont know where I was going with that, but the arguement works in other games.

I need help filling out the Missile wiki page.

I dont know where to start i dropped some bs descriptions in there but i need idea's etc for how to go about making it out.

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: March 21, 2010, 03:02:37 am »

Well, I guess, its just that we are kinda ignoring the fact that he made the game for himself, and he is even showing programs to help us because he just doesn't have the time/motivation to make it smaller. :-\

but yeah, I see what you mean about forums, I don't think I ever saw a lot of complaints on the aurora forums... but the aurora forums also look kinda empty.  :(

I kinda feel sorry for Steve though, but as you said, its not a very good idea to keep talking about this.  :-\

Anyway, here are tips for missiles, the most efficient warhead amounts per crater size are,
1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100. (crater shape, add previous layer amount+2, so 1+2=3, 1+3=4, etc.)
any other amounts will default down crater size to the respective amounts, eg; 53 will go down to 49.

Pre post edit; just in time Journier!

Edit; here are some added stuff-i-stuff for the missiles,

Long Range Low damage:

balancing out fuel and speed, these are mostly for 'hit first hit hard' tactics, they also are important to mop up any remaining hostile forces, as it can be a problem to chase every single ship down, they also work to weaken hostiles before beam melee.

Short Range High Damage:

balancing out speed and warhead size, these are for quickly destroying hostiles before any severe conflict can begin, a successful use of these missiles can severely weaken, if not destroy your opponent.

PD  Missile:

best designed with a size 1 warhead, this missile should instead balance out speed and fuel, with a majority for agility, these missiles should also be at max size one, as any bigger is a waste of space and material.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:14:47 am by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: March 21, 2010, 03:04:43 am »

And bay12 has started to add to the Aurora wiki.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: March 21, 2010, 03:18:51 am »

I can add your stuff to the wiki for a basis tarran or you can. let me know.

throw me some missile examples with ratio's as well if you want.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:22:05 am by Journier »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: March 21, 2010, 03:23:28 am »

I'd rather not do it for different reasons. ::) go ahead, maybe I will start changing the wiki myself someday, just not feeling like it now, so, stop reading and add it already! :P

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 21, 2010, 04:00:53 am »

Now to create example missile designs.

eta-

Missile design examples are up... now to make them correct ^_^

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Missiles
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:24:17 am by Journier »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: March 21, 2010, 06:34:10 am »

Well, I guess, its just that we are kinda ignoring the fact that he made the game for himself, and he is even showing programs to help us because he just doesn't have the time/motivation to make it smaller. :-\

but yeah, I see what you mean about forums, I don't think I ever saw a lot of complaints on the aurora forums... but the aurora forums also look kinda empty.  :(

I kinda feel sorry for Steve though, but as you said, its not a very good idea to keep talking about this.  :-\

For reference, Steve did go out of his way to make those tutorials right after us B12ers showed up... mostly cause a few of us complained about the lack of a tutorial...  He didn't even have to do that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33:38 am »

I took the trouble to use the Primary Display Resolution section of the Steam Hardware Survey (February 2010) to check Aurora's resolution requirements against it.

3.46% use unknown "other" resolutions
15.16% don't meet neither the height nor width required.
27.78% meet the width but not height required.
53.6% meet both height and width requirements!

1280x1024 is actually the most common resolution out of the list, with 19.31%, followed by another compatible resolution, 1680x1050, with 18.43%. These may not be "standard" resolutions, but no other is presently more standard than them. 1024x768 used to be very common, but its usage has fallen to 12.93%.

So I believe those who have complained about the 1280x1024 requirement are either laptop users or people with old monitors. Neither are even close to the norm among gamers, but granted, Dwarf Fortress may be popular among laptop gamers, and while users with old monitors may not be part of the current gaming community, many would be interested in playing less hardware-demanding games (like Aurora, resolution aside).

Still, bottomline is compatibility with 1280x1024 is considerably underestimated.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:35:31 am by Greenbane »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

This game makes me glad to have a 1280*1024 monitor.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1347