Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815194 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2640 on: March 20, 2010, 07:54:15 pm »

Nothing doing. I already deleted the game. Every game I learn, and they run longer. This time the focus is on power and propulsion and CP (or at least, it would be if I had anything other than LG researchers, god I hate them). Hopefully this one will get into a new system without being wiped out by precursors.

Side question. How do you know if a geology team has found something, and how do you know if they've decided there's nothing left to find?

Edit: And right after I ask that, I notice in the event manager that it mentions, among other things, striking new sources of tritanium on earth (80k tons!) and then giving up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:07:34 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: March 20, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »

Side question. How do you know if a geology team has found something, and how do you know if they've decided there's nothing left to find?

They'll let you know on both accounts via the Events window. Can take a while.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2642 on: March 20, 2010, 08:24:55 pm »

You can also check the status of a body's survey on its summary screen. Bottom, left column, it will say complete if there is nothing left to find, I think.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: March 20, 2010, 09:22:44 pm »

I updated to v5.02. Now I can't build freighters. Anyone else have this problem?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: March 20, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »

Giving this game another go with the latest updates; hopefully I'll find something interesting this time.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: March 20, 2010, 09:27:54 pm »

I updated to v5.02. Now I can't build freighters. Anyone else have this problem?

Could you be more specific, please?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »

When I tool a commercial line to build freighters, which are just 5 cargo holds, 5 cargo handling systems, and one ion engine, the "Add Task" button to queue up construction for one is grayed out. All the rails are empty, and it won't let me build other ships like geoscanners or the one I dedicated for cryotransport either.

My naval shipyard isn't grayed out, but it has nothing assigned. None of my commercial shipyards will accept new tasks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:33:11 pm by Grendus »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: March 20, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

On your PD ship, you get a bonus to hit chance per 5 seconds that the missile is in range of your fire control.

So if you have a larger fire control area you can raise your To hit modifier up by quite a bit (this maximum is increased via research)

Uhh... its gauss, its not going to give me an advantage if its gauss, as it has the lowest range of all weapons, and my max range with it is only 30,000 km, but since it will likely hit on each shot, having 36 shots even once is overwhelming, let alone having four of them in the task group (144 shots in five seconds)!

Edit: I don't know how to read either!  :P

Will do.

Edit edit: just so everyone knows I'm horrible at names, here are my missiles!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:18:47 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: March 20, 2010, 09:37:18 pm »

When I tool a commercial line to build freighters, which are just 5 cargo holds, 5 cargo handling systems, and one ion engine, the "Add Task" button to queue up construction for one is grayed out. All the rails are empty, and it won't let me build other ships like geoscanners or the one I dedicated for cryotransport either.

My naval shipyard isn't grayed out, but it has nothing assigned. None of my commercial shipyards will accept new tasks.

Sounds like 5.02's shipyard bug. It can happen to any shipyard in seemingly random occasions. You can work around it by selecting something, anything, from the drop-down menu that allows you to adds tons per slipway, and entirely new slipways.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: March 20, 2010, 09:40:29 pm »

Ahh, thanks. Fixed it.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »

Hmm... re-reading the guide, I notice that for sensor ranges, its formula is strength x size x resolution x 10,000, but the game has strength x size x resolution x (EM sensitivity / 10) x 10,000, and following the guide produces a sensor that has only half the range (due to EM sensitivity being 5, halving the range).  I know that was written for 4.77, and presumably EM sensitivity was released after 4.8, but that definitely screws up the usefulness of the guide.

EDIT: Also, compensating for it (doubling the sensor size) doubles the GPS strength to 4000, makeing the EM sensor in the Beam Warships guide (if I'm understanding it right) mostly redundant because the active sensor would be able to detect at a range of 40 million kilometers, twice the passive EM sensor.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:17:56 pm by Trorbes »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: March 20, 2010, 11:49:28 pm »

Hmm... re-reading the guide, I notice that for sensor ranges, its formula is strength x size x resolution x 10,000, but the game has strength x size x resolution x (EM sensitivity / 10) x 10,000, and following the guide produces a sensor that has only half the range (due to EM sensitivity being 5, halving the range).  I know that was written for 4.77, and presumably EM sensitivity was released after 4.8, but that definitely screws up the usefulness of the guide.

EDIT: Also, compensating for it (doubling the sensor size) doubles the GPS strength to 4000, makeing the EM sensor in the Beam Warships guide (if I'm understanding it right) mostly redundant because the active sensor would be able to detect at a range of 40 million kilometers, twice the passive EM sensor.

you should post this on his forum, He doesnt want anyone of us touching his tutorials on the wiki...... or else
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: March 21, 2010, 12:10:38 am »

Posted.  But is Steve really still upset with this community, or is that a general rule for everyone?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2653 on: March 21, 2010, 12:12:50 am »

you should post this on his forum, He doesnt want anyone of us touching his tutorials on the wiki...... or else
What do you mean? Why is it on a wiki if he doesn't want it edited?

Is he angry at bay12ers or what?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 21, 2010, 12:20:48 am »

What do you mean? Why is it on a wiki if he doesn't want it edited?

Is he angry at bay12ers or what?

no he doesnt want anyone touching any of his tutorials. he just wants to edit them himself.

I was going to make my own versions and post them up there after i filled in the pages more completely.

But im not sure if he wants other peoples tutorials up on the wiki either, they are weird in the Aurora community. just weird.

But is Steve really still upset with this community, or is that a general rule for everyone?

Everyone.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:23:07 am by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 1347