Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814679 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2460 on: March 13, 2010, 11:15:50 am »

Just to make sure, have you got your weapons set to open fire? If so, tell them to cease firing. I think that has a different slowdown message, but give it a check.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 13, 2010, 11:29:10 am »

Any ideas? These 60-second skips have been going on for over 30 game hours. My game has become effectively unplayable and I have no idea how to fix this, even if I could access Designer Mode.

With just SM mode you can insta-build ships and insta-transfer to different location (teleport) them for your race. Teleport a combat ship to the enemy and blow him up in a few 60 second increments time.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 13, 2010, 03:27:44 pm »

Don't know if that'd allow teleportation to waypoints, but I could try that. Thing is, the Kalugans like to send that class of ship into that particular system of mine fairly regularly, and I'm right in the middle of training a group of weapon platforms to nigh-permanently defend the jump point in question. Till that's done, more ships will wander in, and I fear the same bug will crop up when they do. So this is temporary at best.

Besides, I just sent all my beam frigates, which were defending the jump point, back to Earth for an overhaul. That has already started, so I only my missile vessels are available, and everyone knows missiles don't travel and hit within 5 seconds. And if they did, I'm still not sure about the effect of using them at point-blank ranges, considering nuclear explosions and (I think) radiation.

I uploaded the affected DB here, in case anyone wants to take a peek. Steve hasn't checked the official forums for the past three days, so no word about this from him yet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:31:41 pm by Greenbane »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 13, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

Update: The alien ship and its detection (or its own detection of my sensors) is what's causing the reversal to 60-second skips. I used SM mode to remove the tracking stations in the asteroid LP that initially picked it up and sent my missile frigates in while the aliens were off my screens. However, that squadron's SWACS has great sensors, and managed to passively detect it from 873 million km away.

Aaand that cut the interrupts back to 60 seconds, despite they had returned to normal while the aliens remained undetected.

So I've confirmed the source, and it's something that definitely shouldn't be working like this.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »

So I just started, and after reading the incomplete tutorial on the wiki I know just enough to design a few ships. I currently have a very small fleet of geo-scanners
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And am working on scanning the nearby system for minerals. I was actually kind of surprised at how fast they were, they made the journey to the moon and did a full scan in less than a day, and are now working on mars. I'm a little confused on a couple of things though.

1. The wiki designs its freighter as a civilian class ship. I figure that's probably because when I tried to make a military class freighter it had over 5000% chance of annual failure. So how will that work with transporting mines and cargo? Do I need to build something on the planet to load resources, or will they do that automatically? Do I need to build the mines at my production facilities on earth and then request a civilian transport to take them to Luna? Will I need to request a civilian transport to move the materials around?

2. How do I set up colonies. According to the game, the only nearby bodies I could colonize are Mars and Titan, and Titan will need a lot of terraforming before it's worth settling. Terraforming I get, you just need to build a terraforming building or have ships with a terraforming module, but I don't know how to set up colonies.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:53 pm »

Quote from: Grendus
1. The wiki designs its freighter as a civilian class ship. I figure that's probably because when I tried to make a military class freighter it had over 5000% chance of annual failure. So how will that work with transporting mines and cargo? Do I need to build something on the planet to load resources, or will they do that automatically? Do I need to build the mines at my production facilities on earth and then request a civilian transport to take them to Luna? Will I need to request a civilian transport to move the materials around?

Commercial vessels are important since they're the only kind civilian shipping companies can build (out of thin air: no resources nor wealth spent by the government). Said ships can only use commercial engines and sensors no larger than size 1. Obviously, no weapons are allowed either. CIWS appear to be the exception to that rule, though. Any violation to these rules reclassifies the ships as military. When you're designing this kind of vessels, you can check a particular box that hides all military-grade components, to make the process easier.

Freighters (along with other vessels like jumpgate constructors and asteroid miners) are best kept commercial since their cargo bays tend to make them pretty big, and building large military ships is a lot more expensive and time-consuming. Besides, civilian companies will likely be in charge of most non-military logistics, so you want them to have commercial designs at hand to use for that purpose. By default, civvie freighters generally ship trade goods back and forth between your colonies, and colony ships and luxury liners transport colonists around, frequently from your most populated worlds to the least populated ones.

When you want them to transport specific installations like mines and infrastructure, you've to set up civilian contracts using the Population screen. Set up supply contracts at the source of the number of items in question (which you'll have to build yourself), and demand ones at the destination. For instance:

[Earth] Supply: x1000 infrastructure
[Mars] Demand: x1000 infrastructure

The civilian companies should get to work then. As for the cause of their appearance, I'm not entirely sure, but it's tied to some extent to the existence of colonies besides your homeworld, and of course commercial ship designs (which have to be functional but needn't have left the drawing board). It can take a while. In my experience, it was a couple of years.

For shipping around minerals, I believe you need to use your own freighters, as civvie contracts don't seem to cover that. There's mass drivers, too, but I don't trust them. :P

Quote from: Grendus
2. How do I set up colonies. According to the game, the only nearby bodies I could colonize are Mars and Titan, and Titan will need a lot of terraforming before it's worth settling. Terraforming I get, you just need to build a terraforming building or have ships with a terraforming module, but I don't know how to set up colonies.

Go to the System View screen (the one with the sun icon), and that'll show a lot of information about the planets in a given system. Select one, and the option to declare it a colony should be among the set of buttons at the bottom of the window. The colony should then appear on your Population screen, along with the rest of your planets.

As for terraforming, make sure you send some infrastructure and colonists to the planet in question first, as the terraforming installations themselves need to be staffed, as opposed to other buildings like automated mines and deep space tracking stations.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 13, 2010, 10:28:56 pm »

There are only 2 moments you'll run into trouble with Mass drivers: Either you've removed all of them from a planet, making it so that said planet can't catch packets and thus it gets bombarded, or because an NPR bombed your mass drivers to hell, in which case you're screwed anyway.

The first case can be avoided by keeping track of the amount of mass drivers you ship. You'll rarely need more then 1 or 2 drivers on a mining colony and only 1 on a recieving colony. So you'll just have t make sure you only ship them in increments of 1 or 2 and don't put repeat orders on if you ship mass drivers.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 14, 2010, 12:24:36 am »

i keep using mass drivers and sometimes they dont transport much.... sorta confused on how they work now.

I thought they transport 500 or 5000 tons per mass driver?

or was that per year? I keep seeing less than 500 getting transported.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2468 on: March 14, 2010, 03:07:07 am »

They pass on whatever they have when they update but have a max annual amount. If when they fire off their packet they don't have enough for a full one they just pack what they can in.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: March 14, 2010, 07:45:21 am »

I guess I don't trust them since the one time I tried them, shooting minerals from Mercury to Earth, it didn't seem the latter was receiving any. Since sometimes the Sun is between those planets, I was afraid packets were being lost to incineration. That may sound a bit silly, but considering Aurora's depth, I couldn't rule it out. :P

As for mass driver launch capacity, it's 5000 tons per driver per year. However, a single unit can receive any number of packets.

And by the way, is there any tech that boosts the speed of said packets? 1000 km/s is quite slow. Especially if you're hurling stuff all the way from Dione or Titania to Earth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2470 on: March 14, 2010, 07:58:05 am »

I guess I don't trust them since the one time I tried them, shooting minerals from Mercury to Earth, it didn't seem the latter was receiving any.
It is receiving but the +xx from mass driver doesn't stay very long. If you want to verify, watch the planet's mineral screen just before a packet should arrive and use smaller increments.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 14, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

Where are the mined minerals and constructed infrastructure/industrial equipment listed? I made a few automated mines and mass drivers to send materials, and though I know they were made I can't find a list. I worry that when I start building things like infrastructure to build a colony I'll forget how much I have.

Also, on the subject of infrastructure, I can't find anywhere where the infrastructure for a colony that hasn't been terraformed. What page is that on?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 14, 2010, 03:18:39 pm »

Where are the mined minerals and constructed infrastructure/industrial equipment listed? I made a few automated mines and mass drivers to send materials, and though I know they were made I can't find a list. I worry that when I start building things like infrastructure to build a colony I'll forget how much I have.

Also, on the subject of infrastructure, I can't find anywhere where the infrastructure for a colony that hasn't been terraformed. What page is that on?

press f2, thats the economy screen....

first tab of economy screen. the colony summary page... left hand side is infrastructure around the middle area.

all of the info on whats on a colony is listed there.

mined minerals is on the..... suprising read closely... the mining tab....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:22:50 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 14, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »

Mining tab. Clever. Too much info, assumed it was somewhere else. Thanks.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2474 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:58 pm »

Jesus M.Bison Christ, this is like some sort of mod for Microsoft excel except with an even worse, more complex and less intuitive set up.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 1347