Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814925 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2235 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:02 am »

First contact!

1)Now, I don't know much about ground combat in Aurora. Does a combat strength of 20 means the ground units' defensive strength is 20, or something else? Also, where can I find the troop transport components?

2)Can alien races come into existence so small, or is it likely this world is actually part of a larger, interstellar empire? The latter's what keeping me from being outright hostile towards them. We'll be neutral until I can gather more intel.

1) no idea someone else needs to answer that, i am about to use ground combat part of the game in my soon to be epic boarding attempts.

However, Troop transport components need to be researched and they are under the logistics research area in the drop down box.

2) NPR's are randomely generated as you discover new systems. I dont know if it spawns very large empires Ive only ever found single system ones that spawned. But if you leave them to build up and expand they will do it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:09:37 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: March 01, 2010, 11:47:57 am »

Have you seen any ships that belong to them?

If not, feel free to subjugate.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: March 01, 2010, 11:54:40 am »

No spacecraft activity detected around the planet in question during the past 6 months or so. I've kept a scout in orbit so to monitor things like that. There's also diplomatic and espionage teams on the surface, but the latter doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I'll start planning an invasion. ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:56:21 am by Greenbane »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 01, 2010, 12:06:23 pm »

all you need is 1 transport ship to carry a few of your delicious battalions and drop onto the planet for great justice.

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: March 01, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »

I'm not sure but it sounds like an empire.  From my experience 'just generated' NPRs tend to have a number of ships orbiting their homeworld, and even a rather small starting homeworld I can usually see on em or thermal from halfway across the system with a good sensor.

Note that if they detect you in a system that they have populated they will start to dislike you. Every 5 days they detect one of your ships in a populated system, they subtract an amount from how much they like you based on the tonnage of the ship.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: March 01, 2010, 12:36:25 pm »

I'm not sure but it sounds like an empire.  From my experience 'just generated' NPRs tend to have a number of ships orbiting their homeworld, and even a rather small starting homeworld I can usually see on em or thermal from halfway across the system with a good sensor.

Note that if they detect you in a system that they have populated they will start to dislike you. Every 5 days they detect one of your ships in a populated system, they subtract an amount from how much they like you based on the tonnage of the ship.

which has to be like the worst system for diplomatic relations ever.

hey greiger i quoted you for part of the Carrier page on the Wiki for loading / unloading fighters etc.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: March 01, 2010, 12:53:45 pm »

all you need is 1 transport ship to carry a few of your delicious battalions and drop onto the planet for great justice.

I see. What's the difference between a Combat Drop Module and a standard Troop Transport Bay?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: March 01, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

I see. What's the difference between a Combat Drop Module and a standard Troop Transport Bay?

Troop Transport: Normal troop drop speed.  Normal troop loading time. Troops don't get pissy with extended stay, as they have actual housing...
Combat Drop: Immediate troop drop.  Loading time is the same as TT.  Troops start to get pissy when staying more then 3-4 days, may get lucky and some of them won't get pissy till after 7 days.... 
In Combat Drop Modules, Troops are in a combat ready state, assumed to be cramped mini cargo hold with seating, if they are lucky.  No beds or anything else of luxury.  Who knows where they go to the bathroom.... in-suit bathroom?  I'd get pissy too after a few days of that...

When loading straight from Troop Transport to Combat Drop Module, loading times are half that of the Troop Transport.  So if your Troop Transport loading/unloading time is 2 hours, it would take 1 hour to put troops inside a Combat Drop Module.

I personally bring a Troop Transport for this very reason.  Encountering hostiles can take days... or even getting to the combat site could take days.  Pissy marines don't fight as well as non-pissy marines.

On another note... anyone ever been boarded by an NPR?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:16:39 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: March 01, 2010, 01:16:55 pm »

On another note... anyone ever been boarded by an NPR?

... i have a feeling NPR's dont use that part of the game yet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:21:52 pm by Journier »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: March 01, 2010, 07:36:37 pm »

Success! ;D

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Oasis Liberation Ribbon
Promotion value: 100

Awarded to officers who fought for the Terran Federation in the Battle of Oasis.

5th June 2044 -- 21st July 2044

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:40 pm »

Success! ;D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations, looks like your first battle or skirmish went well against an NPR.  May your future encounters against other NPRall your foes bear the same results.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: March 01, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »

Oh, it was a ground battle, so nothing too exciting. I commanded one of my frigates to fire her lasers at the enemy forces once, but dealt 0 damage despite actually hitting the target. Perhaps lasers aren't meant to be used as orbital strike weapons. :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: March 01, 2010, 08:05:36 pm »

Oh, it was a ground battle, so nothing too exciting. I commanded one of my frigates to fire her lasers at the enemy forces once, but dealt 0 damage despite actually hitting the target. Perhaps lasers aren't meant to be used as orbital strike weapons. :P
Only Mesons and Missiles work in orbit.  So laser weapons and the others will do zero damage.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: March 01, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »

Only Mesons and Missiles work in orbit.  So laser weapons and the others will do zero damage.

Pretty close. Actually, beam weapons (save mesons) will have their damage reduced, based on the atmosphere. At 1 or more atmospheres, beam weapons deal 0 damage - but thinner atmospheres let some of the damage through.

So you can bombard Mars with lasers, before terraforming, but Earth starts out with 100% beam immunity.  ;D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: March 01, 2010, 10:26:16 pm »

Pretty close. Actually, beam weapons (save mesons) will have their damage reduced, based on the atmosphere. At 1 or more atmospheres, beam weapons deal 0 damage - but thinner atmospheres let some of the damage through.

So you can bombard Mars with lasers, before terraforming, but Earth starts out with 100% beam immunity.  ;D
Ah, thanks for the correction.  There is just so much to remember.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1347