Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814774 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2250 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:42 pm »

Oasis Liberation Ribbon

'Liberation'?

You shot them from above then, when that failed, bum rushed them.
This was their home-world, so I don't see how this is less than an Occupation.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2251 on: March 01, 2010, 11:59:25 pm »

Oasis Liberation Ribbon

'Liberation'?

You shot them from above then, when that failed, bum rushed them.
This was their home-world, so I don't see how this is less than an Occupation.
Semantics. He liberated the population from their leader's oppressive rule and invited them into his own glorious empire, which has the military might to protect them in this hostile galaxy.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:42 am »

;D

Mine's a Federation, so I'm but spreading democracy to the rest of the galaxy, freeing worlds from the oppressive rule of tyrants (in this case, the very obvious Empire of Kaluga). "Liberation" is very fitting, I say!

And actually, I tried firing the lasers once the ground battle had begun. In addition, I don't think it was their homeworld: there weren't any civilians in the colony once the military units were defeated. Another suspicious detail is that the civilian contracts section had a demand for two deep space tracking stations.

All this evidence suggests Oasis was but a portion of a larger empire. And oddly enough, my relations with the aliens haven't deteriorated at all despite the invasion and subsequent victory of my forces. I should report that as a bug.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: March 02, 2010, 01:53:13 am »

All this evidence suggests Oasis was but a portion of a larger empire. And oddly enough, my relations with the aliens haven't deteriorated at all despite the invasion and subsequent victory of my forces. I should report that as a bug.

Nah, that is your relation to them.  It does not reflect their relation to you.  Which you can only see the macro of... Hostile, Neutral, Friendly, and Allied...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: March 02, 2010, 08:07:29 am »

Their stance towards me was still Neutral after the attack, even though I had changed mine to Hostile.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: March 02, 2010, 08:34:39 am »

Maybe they haven't got word of it yet, or they don't know that it was you.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: March 02, 2010, 08:47:32 am »

Maybe they haven't got word of it yet, or they don't know that it was you.

Are those things possible in Aurora? :o

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:56 am »

Did you use missiles? Those can kill them outside of their sensor range. And could of knowcked out their deep space sensor system.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: March 02, 2010, 09:06:26 am »

I didn't use missiles. I went in the ol' fashioned dwarven way and dropped two brigades (ten battalions) on them. ;D

They had a civilian contract demanding a couple of deep space tracking stations, but nothing on the colony itself besides 89 infrastructure. I don't think they had any sensors at all, so maybe they couldn't (and never did) figure out who in the blazes was shooting their four or so ground units to hell. I'd be impressed if Aurora considered things like that.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 09:08:22 am by Greenbane »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: March 02, 2010, 09:19:53 am »

That does seem a bit odd.  Any offensive action should have knocked down their opinion of you real fast.

But now that I think of it, I don't recall ground troops being mentioned in the explanation of diplomacy I read.  Maybe Steve forgot to count them for considering a Hostile act (An attack on one of their ships is supposed to set their opinion of you to something like -150.). Planetary bombardment is also supposed to kill their opinion of you fast.

It could just be something simple though.  You haven't encountered any of their ships since the fighting broke out, maybe you need to see one for the military status to update.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: March 02, 2010, 09:29:10 am »

Yes, perhaps.

It wasn't really a combat drop, though. I unloaded my troops on my colony on Oasis, and then switched my stance towards the Kalugans to Hostile and ordered the ground attack.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: March 02, 2010, 01:45:36 pm »

Well i have just done a combat drop.

wooo....

2 to be exact.

2 planets just surrendered to my single marine corps.

and those 2 combat drops, just made those annoying NPR's stop interrupting my turn increments...

THANK GOD.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:47:47 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: March 02, 2010, 03:12:49 pm »

Had my first hostile encounter while my sole jump-capable scout, the SC Magellan, was exploring a system two jumps away from Sol: V1581 Cygni.

At first, the ship detected the source of some active sensors with considerable range (strength 33600, resolution 100). The Magellan was a few million km out of its range, so I told it to stop dead on her tracks and wait and see if her passive sensors gathered any valuable information. It'd ultimately be a Bad Idea(tm).

Four a half hours later, approximately 30 vessels (presumably fighters, given their numbers, very light weapons and how late they were detected) appeared on the Magellan's sensor screens. Not a second later, they opened fire on the scout ship, crippling it in a single pass. The fighters seemed to be equipped with one meson cannon each, with an observed range of 60,000 km. They may be a threat even to my frigates, given the meson's armour-skipping properties.

So given the Magellan ended up completely disabled, I instructed the crew to scuttle the ship (deal 100 damage to herself), so that neither the crewmen nor the ship ended up in enemy hands. I didn't want the aliens to scoop up free Terran technology. Unfortunately, the Magellan's captain and 45 others made it to the lifepods. There's no hope for rescue, so the pods will invariably fail within 13 days.

If I'm lucky, the survivors will die before they're captured. I hope the vile aliens get nothing from the Magellan's wreck! >:(

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

Oh JESUS.....

I am being attacked by an invisible enemy :/

PLEASE GOD HELP ME...

they just destroyed half of my fleet with a huge command and control ship with max size (2500 ton each) big ass sensors on it... wtf?? i cant detect thermals or EM or anything with actives, but they are sitting point blank killing my ships 1by 1....

Thoughts guys?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:30:38 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: March 02, 2010, 03:39:09 pm »

Ramming speed?
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 1347