Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815064 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2190 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:01 am »

hmm I have NPR battles occurring hmm
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wouldnt care but its cutting my turn time down to 4 days per.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: February 28, 2010, 09:57:43 am »

Another question, guys, related to my first warship:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cossack class Frigate    4400 tons     466 Crew     645 BP      TCS 88  TH 240  EM 0
2727 km/s     Armour 3-23     Shields 0-0     Sensors 12/12/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 26
Annual Failure Rate: 38%    IFR: 0.5%    Maint Capacity 366 MSP    Max Repair 45 MSP    Est Time: 6 Years

Ion Engine E8 (4)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 51.1 billion km   (217 days at full power)

Twin 10cm C3 Near Ultraviolet Laser Turret (2x2)    Range 90,000km     TS: 15000 km/s     Power 6-6     RM 3    ROF 5        3 3 3 2 1 1 1 1 1 0
15cm C4 Near Ultraviolet Laser (2)    Range 180,000km     TS: 3000 km/s     Power 6-4     RM 3    ROF 10        6 6 6 4 3 3 2 2 2 1
Fire Control S04 96-3000 (1)    Max Range: 192,000 km   TS: 3000 km/s     95 90 84 79 74 69 64 58 53 48
Fire Control S04 24-12000 (1)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0
Pebble Bed Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (7)     Total Power Output 21    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR19-R100 (1)     GPS 3200     Range 19.2m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km
EM Detection Sensor EM2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  12m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why can't I assign Captains (R2) to them? Seems the minimum rank requirement is Commodore (R3). Why is that? My captains are getting inevitably phased out since even those modest warships won't take them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 10:00:15 am by Greenbane »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: February 28, 2010, 10:07:18 am »

In the class design screen you go to the last tab (It's something like DAC/Rank or something like that.)  Select the minimum rank from the dropdown, then click set.

Sometimes I swear what when it sets some of these new ships' ranks on creation it must be high on something.  16000 ton criuser? Knight Captain! (R3)  4000 ton scout ship?  Earl! (R7)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: February 28, 2010, 10:20:16 am »

In the class design screen you go to the last tab (It's something like DAC/Rank or something like that.)  Select the minimum rank from the dropdown, then click set.

Sometimes I swear what when it sets some of these new ships' ranks on creation it must be high on something.  16000 ton criuser? Knight Captain! (R3)  4000 ton scout ship?  Earl! (R7)

LOL, nice , I go by the Roman position names and I was all confused the first time i played through haha.

As soon as the enemy NPR see's that ship its gonna explode into a pile of fail probably ^_^, 3 armor layers is like 1 size 5 missile hit to break through.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 10:24:18 am by Journier »

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: February 28, 2010, 10:32:17 am »

I'm still getting used to the armour/shield system. :P

Got any useful rules of thumb? I don't know what's considered light, medium or heavy armour for a particular tonnage.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: February 28, 2010, 10:58:46 am »

The biggest thing for me to remember is that  improved armor strength doesn't let one point of armor absorb more damage, all improved armor tech does is make each layer of armor lighter, letting you put more on before it starts getting too heavy to be efficient.  So ideal number of armor layers will actually change based on your tech level.

Also shields can be stacked.  I didn't know this first time I used them.  More shield generaters you have the more shield strength you'll have and the shield regen adds together.  For example 5 shields that regen 3 points every 300 seconds will regen a total of 15 points every 300.  Also shield tech doesn't really get efficient to use until level 3 or 4, Alpha shields are just barely above "a waste of space" territory with improvements as you level the tech.  I personally wait til Delta tech to start putting them on ships, but your mileage (kilometerage?) will vary.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: February 28, 2010, 12:30:38 pm »

I'm still getting used to the armour/shield system. :P

Got any useful rules of thumb? I don't know what's considered light, medium or heavy armour for a particular tonnage.

as said about by Greiger, yea im with him on Armour and the way it works, but I put lots of layers on my ships even early game, only benefit for me with better research into armour is a slightly lighter ship for more weapons.

Shields-

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Armour_and_Shields

Shields are worthless compared to armour at almost EVERY stage of the game. do the math with even regeneration and youll see how long a ship needs to stay in combat with shields regenerating and still survive for them to have done as good of a job as Armour per ton.

I wouldnt touch shields till they are at strength 10 along with the technology to make them regenerate in 300 seconds.

Even at that strength the same tech level of armour will out do them easily, unless the battle is very prolonged with slow missile salvo's.

just do the simple math and figure out how long a ship with shields (the same amount of shields as armour in tonnage) has to stay alive with shields regenning to stop the same amount of damage that armour gives by just being laid on the ship.

At 3 or 4 strength that amount of time is like 800 seconds or something.

800 seconds of missile barrages.... is a long fucking time. that baby would be down and your ship exploded. against many of the NPR's.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:37:58 pm by Journier »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: February 28, 2010, 01:54:57 pm »

Oh yea, I certainly wouldn't use shields as the ONLY line of defense.  At least not until crazy tech levels like Omega or something.  But I stick a few on my ships anyway to support the armor.  Like others said, if you aren't likely to take a significant beating you can do the combat without taking any actual damage, not even a dent to armor.

During a long drawn out fights I notice shields quickly become a non-issue, but it's nice to have that extra 10 or 20 'hit points' that an opponent has to chew through to even start weakening your armor. Its a small leg up over your opponent sometimes. And if your regen rate is high enough it can shave one or two points of damage off of an attack every 5 seconds, which is nice.

I think I read someplace that shields are twice as effective against microwave guns too.  I'm not quite sure if I remember it right, but if it's true that could be a nice perk.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:19 pm »

Shields work against Microwave.  But, Microwave does 3 damage per hit on shields.  It normally does 1 damage against ship electronics.
So its your opinion if shields are effective against Microwave or not...

@Greenbane: Armour.  I run 5-9 armour at that tech level with small ships.  Some, just some of them can survive half a salvo of precursor anti-ship missiles.  They all can survive 1-3 salvos of size 1 missiles at least.  Your ships definitely won't.

@Journier: Boarding, havn't had the opportunity, only been finding precursors that move too fast to safely board.  In the middle of recovering from precursor skirmish right now.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:04 pm »

@Journier: Boarding, havn't had the opportunity, only been finding precursors that move too fast to safely board.  In the middle of recovering from precursor skirmish right now.

I would use it except usually anything that comes near an alien ship gets blown to pieces by lasers or short ranged turrets.

lol

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: February 28, 2010, 02:27:08 pm »

I would use it except usually anything that comes near an alien ship gets blown to pieces by lasers or short ranged turrets.

lol

Its all about being much much faster and/or disabling the enemy ship and not blowing it up in the process.

Spoiler: Boarding Party Mk I (click to show/hide)

Very minimalistic design.  Only made to drop and forget.  Very cheap to make too.  So are the Marine Companies...
But I rather have a decent chance of it working then I would throwing this stuff at a ship blindly.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: February 28, 2010, 02:38:54 pm »

Ok, we need a way to have 1 ship with armor, and one ship with shields, and find out at which points shields overcome armor by having them fight each other with the same weapons. and tech

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: February 28, 2010, 03:07:41 pm »

Ok, we need a way to have 1 ship with armor, and one ship with shields, and find out at which points shields overcome armor by having them fight each other with the same weapons. and tech

shields will fail so badly against close range beam/ railgun/ anything like that it will be silly.

There only useful option is missiles, with a slow ass reload time on the missiles. so you get long wait before the next salvo reaches you.

However.... a solid point defense system negates missiles..... so i dont know.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: February 28, 2010, 03:10:10 pm »

Its all about being much much faster and/or disabling the enemy ship and not blowing it up in the process.

Very minimalistic design.  Only made to drop and forget.  Very cheap to make too.  So are the Marine Companies...
But I rather have a decent chance of it working then I would throwing this stuff at a ship blindly.

Reading Steve's HILARIOUS writeup on boarding action made me instantly want to use them, but there useage seems so freaking limited, but as you said its cheap and... you can steal a ship.

I am now going to steal your fighter troop ship design and try to figure out how to use fighters/carriers and report back here tonight when I successfully board an enemy ship!

I WILL SUCCEED.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:21:09 pm by Journier »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: February 28, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »

a volley of missiles or a bunch of beams, if they both do 50 damage, and the shield blocks 10, then in the end the ship will always receive 40 damage. The difference being that without a shield, all those missile/beams could hit the same spot, effectively turning that extra armor into 1/10th the worth. You also require your ships to repair that armor after they fight. They also prevent microwave guns.

(use microwave guns for boarding, it keeps the ship intact mostly)
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 1347