Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815931 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1905 on: February 21, 2010, 10:56:27 pm »

I was looking through the campaign, and it looks like it was left half done. For example, this fighter without a fuel tank

Mamba class Strikefighter    215 tons     8 Crew     31.1 BP      TCS 4.3  TH 48  EM 0
11162 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 2.4
Annual Failure Rate: 43%    IFR: 0.6%    Maint Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 10 MSP    Est Time: 0 Years
Magazine 16   

Rolls Royce F48 Supercharged MPD (1)    Power 48    Fuel Use 6000%    Signature 48    Armour 0    Exp 25%

Mk4 Box Launcher (4)    Missile Size 4    Hangar Reload 30 minutes    MF Reload 5 hours
CF/APG-15 Fighter Fire Control (1)     Range 26.4m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a fighter for production and combat purposes

There is also a lack of materials and everything seems half completed. Several ships could do with an upgrade. I don't like the idea of cleaning up someone's mess as a campaign....

Of course i think Steve said he wasn't done with it.

yup saw the same, his Exodus fiction isnt that bad though so i was thinking about getting into it. ^_^

but yea, its like he made version 5.0 out of his game like 5 minutes before he finished 5 ship designs or something simultaneously. heh
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 21, 2010, 11:12:32 pm »

How do you start a game somewhere other then sol? I need variety  :-\

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!! if i remember correctly, now NPR battles won't lag the game! The battles will be weirder but now we can actually fight multiple NPRs!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:14:56 pm by Micro102 »

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: February 21, 2010, 11:17:42 pm »

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!! if i remember correctly, now NPR battles won't lag the game! The battles will be weirder but now we can actually fight multiple NPRs!

hrmm?? i dont think thats so true, I believe he states alot of those long NPR caused slowdowns were fixed. Atliest thats what i think i read....

any link to where that is stated?

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:06 am »

It is complicated.  And makes alot of use of SM commands.

First you have to set the new game to not use a sol start.  Tell it to generate an SM race instead when you make the game.

When you enter the game set your default race as the SM race.  You can't actually start playing for awhile yet.  Turn SM mode on as well.  Then go into the system information, and then create a system.

The game will randomly generate a system.  Look through it to see if you find a planet that has tolerances you want your new race to use as a home planet. If you don't find one hit the button again.(Note that colony cost dosn't matter much at this point. It defaults to human values, which may not be what you are looking for)  Most of the atmospheric information and temperature (unless it's extreme) doesn't matter much, those can be changed with SM terraforming.  The big thing I look for is gravity.  You can't change a planet's gravity at all.  If a planet's gravity isn't near what you want you can't use it as a homeworld.  

*P.S.  For create empire to work it needs a planet with an atmosphere present with oxygen.  Sometimes the letal gasses will work too, which will set the race to breath that gas instead of oxygen.  If you really need to, you can hit 'add colony' to create a blank colony belonging to the SM race and then SM terraform it (Instructions mentioned later) to your liking, then abandon the colony.  That will allow you to use create empire on it.

Once you find a planet you like, you should probably take a peek at the jump points tab to make sure you can get places.  While only having one jump out of the system doesn't guarantee this will happen, it is perfectly possible to create an empire and then have the random number generator randomly generate you into a dead end, with only 2 or 3 systems accessible at all.  That can be fixed by editing JPs in SM mode, but I won't go into detail about that.  More jump points off your home system is fewer chances to get screwed by the RNG.

So now that everything meets your specifications, time to make the homeworld.  Select the planet you want and hit HW Minerals.  That makes sure you have access to all the minerals on your home planet.  Then you hit create empire.  On the screen that comes up, you enter some information you probably saw before about the race, and hit ok.

Congratulations, you now have a player empire on a world, you could switch your default race to it now and start playing if you like.  Or you can do some customizing.

V *P.S. After this point you need to have your race selected as the default race. But keep SM mode active.V

The create empire button generated the race to have that homeworld you selected as their ideal planet, the atm of O2 they like is what the planet had, their preferred gravity and pressure also match the planet.  You can go into the race details screen (ctrl-F2) to change those values to what you like.  You can also change yer race's flag and image to something that isn't some random wild animal or squid.  I prefer Number 38.  Space dragons just seems too awesome to pass up for me.  You pretty much just have to keep looking until you find something you like, or stick your own image in the folder.

After you messed with your race's tolerances though you will likely have to mess with your homeworld's atmosphere to make it habitable again.  Thats where SM terraforming comes in. The only thing you can't change is gravity.  Greenhouse or anti greenhouse gases modify temperature, and the total pressure it the atm of all the gasses present added together.  O2 can't be above 30% of the total.  You use SM set atm to set the selected gas to the entered value.  Values would usually be decimals, whole numbers would be highly unusual.

And there you go, you now have a custom start, with a customized race.

PS#2 Pardon the spelling it's late.  Hopefully it's understandable though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:22:07 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 22, 2010, 12:10:11 am »

I can't find it where Steve said it, but if someone can confirm this please do. Check your events for battle reports of other races that happen in 30 day increments or something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1910 on: February 22, 2010, 12:44:01 am »

Is this a bug? I've noticed that if you go to the ship design window and go to a ship design you have already in service, click on "New Armor" the unlock button becomes available. If you then unlock the design, make changes, and lock it again all existing ships are instantly refitted for free.

I assume it's a bug...

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: February 22, 2010, 01:11:49 am »

It is complicated.  And makes alot of use of SM commands.

quotation of extremely amazing and useful information that should be put up on the Aurora Wiki!!!

you mind putting it up on the wiki for Aurora? the wiki uses your Aurora forum login information.

nice job.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: February 22, 2010, 01:14:42 am »

After you complete this part you get 250 reputation and you should delete the quest from your quest

log. Take it again wow power leveling at the Argent Stand

and complete this quest again and again.
All wow power leveling together it is not more

than 2 minutes work for 250 reputation which equals to 7500-10000 reputation per hour. It

aion kina might not be the most fun

way, but definitely the most efficient one. Imagine

aion kinah
yourself doing this one hour per day and reaching exalted status within 4 days

(excluding all aion power level other

reputation gains from instances, other quests etc.).
Next to the cheap aion power leveling 250

reputation you will also receive 6 gold per turn in
Here is another guide that 重庆团购 I have found very useful. As

many of you know it is extremely difficult to find great guides on the internet and this is a great

one to add to the buy wow gold site.

This bot isn't even trying.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: February 22, 2010, 01:16:16 am »

extremely useful sales information

That was a bot? ^_^ seems reputable almost.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 22, 2010, 02:57:33 am »

i just found the thread bud, Neutral NPR's wont do it anymore, and neutrals that you see that you have seen before wont stop the game either, just hostile NPR's.

;D ;D ;D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 22, 2010, 05:09:12 am »

O dam, does that mean a hostile NPR at war with someone else will still slow the game? O well, it's a nice improvement.

Also, is saving the game the same as savescumming? Copy the database and put it somewhere, then replace it? Also it's stevefire.mdb right? Seems i have 2 of them, can i delete the older one?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:45 am »

O dam, does that mean a hostile NPR at war with someone else will still slow the game? O well, it's a nice improvement.

Also, is saving the game the same as savescumming? Copy the database and put it somewhere, then replace it? Also it's stevefire.mdb right? Seems i have 2 of them, can i delete the older one?

hmmm... you shouldnt have 2 of them, one is a .mdb the other one has the same name but different extension + size....

the game saves are saved right in the .mdb though i believe just copy that over to aurora/backup and then your safe... ^_^

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: February 22, 2010, 05:51:29 am »

Thx, and I'm trying to add a new jump point to a system but it's not working. I'm in the jump point tab and I'm pressing the "Add JP" button, but nothing is happening.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:39 am »

Thx, and I'm trying to add a new jump point to a system but it's not working. I'm in the jump point tab and I'm pressing the "Add JP" button, but nothing is happening.
Took me a second to find out why myself.  It added the JP but if the system isn't grav surveyed you can't see it.  You have to survey the system to see it.

hmmm... you shouldnt have 2 of them, one is a .mdb the other one has the same name but different extension + size....

the game saves are saved right in the .mdb though i believe just copy that over to aurora/backup and then your safe... ^_^
I build up my starting setup with race, homeworld, and tech and then archive the database with winrar, so I don't have to redo all that when I start a new game.  I extract it and delete the old database and it works fine.  So it's just like savescumming.
you mind putting it up on the wiki for Aurora? the wiki uses your Aurora forum login information.

nice job.
I would be happy to, but my wiki-fu is weak.  I would also assume this needs it's own page which I don't know how to do.  I can barely do small things. You should see the stonesense graphics pack page when I first added my dracon sprites.  It looked horrible, and somebody had to come fix it. 

P.S. I wouldn't mind if somebody does add it, and if it doesn't seem to be around by the time I get home from school I'll try, but I'll probably just mess it all up.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:59:25 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 22, 2010, 11:06:16 am »

Tryed it and it produces more errors then a beta release of spaceclustercombusterbugomatic1976 (TM)

Changing the decimal separator is equal to messing around with the keyboard language?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 1347