Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814636 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1425 on: February 06, 2010, 03:24:23 am »

Thanks, guys. I finally used ResizeEnable. Quite ackward, but at least now I can see the whole screen. This is obviously poor design choice, but the game is free anyway, so I'll bear with it.

Stupid question: I'm following the tutorial on the Wiki and got stuck at the part where I'm supposed to assign a Civilian Administrator as Governor of Earth. I can select the officer and Earth, but what button should I press? There is no "Choose" button.

EDIT: I think that button is hidden on the lower part of the menu. Even with ResizeEnable, I can't get it to appear. I give up on this game. -_-
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:27:37 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 06, 2010, 03:34:23 am »

ResizeEnable won't work, since all windows on the desktop are limited to the width and height of the desktop, even if they're moved partway offscreen. Your only choice is some form of desktop-expanding software, akin to the Radeon CCC solution I'm using.

Also, having the minimal resolution for ANYTHING be greater than 1024x768 is ridiculous nowadays. I could condemn that game based on that alone. Most laptops have a fixed resolution of 1200x800.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:36:11 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 06, 2010, 03:39:08 am »

This blows. I really want to try out this game. I tried your CCC solution, but my (laptop) monitor can only go as high as 1024x800. Does anyone know any other program to scroll the desktop?

The resolution requirement really puts off a lot of laptop users.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1428 on: February 06, 2010, 03:44:44 am »

I've never used it, but you might try Sdesk (heres a link: http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?scname=Virtual+Desktop+Managers&docid=678063&tag=content;col1). It's supposed to let you scroll the desktop. I got it from the topic on Display Issues from the Aurora forums FAQ section, so I'm assuming it works with Aurora.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 06, 2010, 04:01:49 am »

Thanks, Paul. That program is very clunky, but should do for now.

I still don't understand what to press to assign a Civil Admin as a Planet Governor in Population and Production > Team/Academy > Open Officer Window. :/

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 06, 2010, 06:08:04 am »

This is obviously poor design choice, but the game is free anyway, so I'll bear with it.

Yes and no. If from the design point of making available to others, terribly ayes. Steve doesn't program the game to make it available to others. Steve makes the game solely for himself, from that design perspective its makes a lot of sense, as that the native resolution for his three screen set up is that huge. This is why, it will never change, and its hopeless to prod for it.

Thanks, Paul. That program is very clunky, but should do for now.

I still don't understand what to press to assign a Civil Admin as a Planet Governor in Population and Production > Team/Academy > Open Officer Window. :/

Okay, you got to the window. Now select your desired adnub. Then select the planet name (not the part where it says unassigned) then press assign in the bottom right hand screen.

There wont be any boxes saying you've done shit, now the planet should still be selected in the officer history window, it should say the admin name in the box.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #1431 on: February 06, 2010, 09:53:14 am »

I think I either failed something or am just incredibly unlucky. I was running out of minerals on Earth, but I wasn't worried: after all, I could just mine on Mars, a gradually growing colony. So I geosurvey it. Nothing. Nothing at all. I am in disbelief. I survey again. NOTHING. THAT SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 06, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »

How did you wait until you were almost out of minerals on earth to survey mars???

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #1433 on: February 06, 2010, 12:35:41 pm »

Well, not almost out, but I mean that the already low mineral supplies were getting lower. That's what they do.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »

Anyway to make a NPR feel like researching engine speed more then other tech? I was watching them "fight" in their system and it turns out that 99% of the time adjustments consisted of them creeping towards a jump gate. It took a long time for a ship going 3600 km/h...And it wasn't a big system either, smaller then Sol.

Of course now they can't even see each other and they are still slowing time down...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 06, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »

The mineral generation is random. Check Venus - it seems to always have minerals, sometimes huge amounts. Mercury is also a good candidate, as is Titan and Callisto.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »

Ok now I'm getting sick of this game. I don't need

"Increment length adjusted due to imminent action. This may involve 2 NPRs fighting." x <500

It's ridiculous they aren't even moving form their home planets!

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 06, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »

Ok now I'm getting sick of this game. I don't need

"Increment length adjusted due to imminent action. This may involve 2 NPRs fighting." x <500

It's ridiculous they aren't even moving form their home planets!
Reading about this "feature" is the one reason I haven't DLed this game to try.
I know I'd be punching my monitor inside of an hour. :D
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 06, 2010, 03:01:34 pm »

Bad programming by the looks of it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 06, 2010, 03:05:07 pm »

I haven't had that problem yet. Maybe I'm lucky?

Occasionally I'll get a few 5 second or 60 second increments, but they only last for a short period (I assume one little battle) and are quickly over with. I did have one long stretch of about a hundred 5 second increments, but my computer is fast enough that it only took about a minute to process on auto turns.

I wouldn't call it bad programming. Questionable design choice maybe, but not bad programming. What you're getting might be a bug, but bugs exist in every piece of software.

The varying turn lengths is kind of an oddity, and its the reason it has to do stuff like that (processing in 5 second increments for the NPCs to function in combat), but it also kinds gives the game a certain charm. He COULD let the AI "cheat" on battles and just extrapolate it, but I think it would lose something in that since then they would no longer be playing by the same rules as you. X3 TC handwaves out of sector combat using a formula to determine who wins, but the results are SO far off from in sector combat that sometimes a few small ships can wipe out capital ships. I would prefer the game slowing down a bit than having the NPR battles be estimated and end up nothing like what would have happened if the player had been present.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:18:20 pm by Paul »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 1347