Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817227 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #555 on: January 16, 2010, 01:26:26 pm »

So, how do second stage missiles work? Is the idea, say, pack a dozen tiny, fast missiles into one giant, lumbering, long range one, that pops open at the edge of the smaller ones' range and screams "FUCK YOU POINT DEFENSE TRACKING SYSTEMS"? Because that's all that occurs to me, really. It means the smaller ones don't need much fuel, so more room for explody bits and engines, while hopefully overwhelming the average point defense system, which probably couldn't take out more than one or two missiles out of the dozen or so at once, especially not without a decent tracking time bonus (denied by the fact that what it was tracking has ceased to exist) and at the absurd velocities you could probably pull with them.

While on that topic, what the hell are buoys and drones? Specifically drones, because buoys look like temporary sensor platforms, so they're sort of self explanatory.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »

Alright, this probably has a really easy solution, but;

How do you geosurvey planets etc? You see, I've successfully surveyed mars and venus, by giving the survey nearest/next planetary body order in the fleet menu. The problem is, that seems to have stopped working. Now, my ship just flies out to the target, gives me a little countdown of RP needed, and moves on, but when I check the geosurvey tab, nothing appears.

Is it because there are no minerals there, is it a bug, or am I just missing something obvious?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 16, 2010, 01:56:39 pm »

I'd like to know what buoys and drones are too.
I'm not into combat yet, but I'm just some techs away from building my first warships, then out of Sol.

Conventional Starts makes you really slow at getting to space, but the main problem is the mineral shortages...I think that this issue alone delayed me 20 years already.
I don't have enough mining production to build Auto Mines fast, so I'm into a crawl trying to make more mining colonies and expand my little ones....

After everything is ready, I'll get out of Sol, finally :D (start at 2012, it's 2050 already and I think it'll take two decades before I'm set [with warships and stuff]).

Btw, when you build a JumpGate, does it build in the "two sides" of a hole?
If I build a jumpgate to another system without exploring it, and it gives the enemy a eaasy way to jump to my home system, I'll get pwned...that's why I'm asking if I should spend 2500 RP to build gates or 6000RP + annoyance to get jump-able ships..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 16, 2010, 01:58:26 pm »

Alright, this probably has a really easy solution, but;

How do you geosurvey planets etc? You see, I've successfully surveyed mars and venus, by giving the survey nearest/next planetary body order in the fleet menu. The problem is, that seems to have stopped working. Now, my ship just flies out to the target, gives me a little countdown of RP needed, and moves on, but when I check the geosurvey tab, nothing appears.

Is it because there are no minerals there, is it a bug, or am I just missing something obvious?

Probably because there's no minerals there, that's why nothing appears.
I think in the F9 System Body window you can see which bodies have been surveyed, and which minerals are there..maybe this can help you further. :]
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 16, 2010, 02:01:37 pm »

So, how do second stage missiles work? Is the idea, say, pack a dozen tiny, fast missiles into one giant, lumbering, long range one, that pops open at the edge of the smaller ones' range and screams "FUCK YOU POINT DEFENSE TRACKING SYSTEMS"? Because that's all that occurs to me, really. It means the smaller ones don't need much fuel, so more room for explody bits and engines, while hopefully overwhelming the average point defense system, which probably couldn't take out more than one or two missiles out of the dozen or so at once, especially not without a decent tracking time bonus (denied by the fact that what it was tracking has ceased to exist) and at the absurd velocities you could probably pull with them.

While on that topic, what the hell are buoys and drones? Specifically drones, because buoys look like temporary sensor platforms, so they're sort of self explanatory.

I'm pretty sure second-stage missiles are what you said.  Buoys are indeed sensor platforms.  I don't know about drones.
Shoes...

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 16, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »

Jones: They probably didn't find anything.  If you check the System Generation and Display (the sun on the System map) there'll be either an S or an M at the leftmost column next to a body that's been surveyed; S means it was only scanned, M means it was discovered to have minerals.

Gabeux: No, jump gates are built on one side at a time - you only need one gate to pass through a jump point, but it'll be one way until you build the corresponding gate on the other side.

Also, I would recommend jump ships (i.e. a ship capable of guiding other ships through jump points) to first explore new systems, and then building gates if you plan to habitate that system.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 16, 2010, 02:06:17 pm »

I think in the F9 System Body window you can see which bodies have been surveyed, and which minerals are there..maybe this can help you further. :]

Cheers Gabeux, that was it. There's no minerals, and because the geosurvey window requires at least duranium, it wasn't showing up. Arggh this game is frustatingly obtuse sometimes. Fun, but heavy going.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 16, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »

Cheers Gabeux, that was it. There's no minerals, and because the geosurvey window requires at least duranium, it wasn't showing up. Arggh this game is frustatingly obtuse sometimes. Fun, but heavy going.

Np, hahah, yeah!
I'm just want to see when I enter combat for the first time..
I think I'll only reach another system in 2075...I really want to be ready if something is awaiting me in the other side..

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 16, 2010, 02:17:03 pm »

There's surveying a planet/moon/asteroid to get the geological data from it with a ship with a geo survey module.

And then there is an additional way to survey for more minerals and better accessability on the planet with a geology team made on the teams/officers tab.
Once you finish surveying with a geo team the survey on the summary tab will say complete.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 16, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »

My geo ship has a survey team with the best five geologists I have :p

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 16, 2010, 02:25:51 pm »

Do you unload them on the planet?

Or can they work while on a ship as well?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 16, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »

You need to unload I believe, because it takes some time before completing a survey on the ground..
But I may be wrong.

I can't get my production of Corundium enough to speed up my life OMG
I want to build more stuff soon, but those auto mines are taking ages to build without minerals...

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 16, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »

My stock of Mercassium has run out. And I only have around 15 r labs due to that :(

There's no other source in sol. So I need to explore in another system :(

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 16, 2010, 02:37:58 pm »

Ha, but at least you got 15 RL

I got only 5.

I'm leaving RLs for later, I really need to get more mining input..

EDIT
LMFAO I just laughed with the auto-named design for my MTS (Medium Transport Ship - Freighter).
Caboclo, thats a funny name. (In Brazil it's a population that results from "man+indigenan")
[Sorry for the poor english, '-']
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:41:57 pm by Gabeux »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 16, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »

you can put a geo team onboard your SS, but likely it will leave before survey is complete by team. drop team on ground to survey completely.

I guess drones can be armed with lasers etc. :)

ps I started with a low pop, and more RL, now I'm broke. ;P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 1347