Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817270 times)

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #540 on: January 16, 2010, 06:10:28 am »

Anymore? I've discovered all of those tips by myself, thanks anyway : )

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 16, 2010, 06:21:51 am »

Uhhh... if you can afford it in the beginning pump out research labs and academies? In the long run you will be able to research much more (multiple research labs per project) and get a larger pool of trained citizens with stupid awesome bonuses to assign. Also research the tech that makes you research faster.

In the battlefleet orders screen, second tab you can have task forces train together for exp.

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:14 am »

Do terraforming installations require personel to operate? It says my Annual Production is 0 atm. with one Terraforming Installation.
Benzene on steam.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 16, 2010, 07:36:25 am »

Yes the need personnel.

They also need to be told what to do on the terraforming tab.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 16, 2010, 08:52:32 am »

Ok I've hit a problem and can't be bothered to register on the official forums if it's just a minor problem/me being an idiot. Essentially I'm following throuh the tutorial and I get to ship design, he wants me to hit F2 so I do but I can't see the population and production window. It appears on my task bar but not on my screen, even though I already saw it earlier in the tutorial. Any idea whats happening?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 16, 2010, 09:34:30 am »

@Jreengus:
close all open windows, but for the base program, then go to miscellaneous and reset the windows. this will probably reset it.
Dont reduce windows with the "_", but just leave them open underneath others. That prevents this from happening.
(Also keeping F2 open circumvents the loadtime at opening it. :))

@fighters:
Fighter and missile development is reached from a button at the bottom of the F2 screen.
(I've been looking for them under the research and development buttons initially too)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 16, 2010, 09:53:21 am »

Reset windows, or try clicking it a couple of times. Occasionally, for me at least, windows show up incorrectly when opened, and clicking it in the taskbar twice bring it up again. If it's stuck offscreen there's something you can do under one of the main window's options.

I dumped all my starting research into production and survey sensors, with a little in engines. I lost one geo survey ship one jump out to anti-missile missiles fired from a contact at 10K Km. I lost another to missiles fired from a planet. In a different system. Both combats took ten seconds. (Two jumpships into each system, one for grav surveys, one for geosurveys) I neglected to put real sensors on any of these in order to squeeze more survey equipment and maintenance spaces in alongside the jump drive. I have no warships as of yet, though Sol seems to have absurdly plentiful resources this time around, so I can probably slowly work up to an invasion.

The interface isn't really "bad" as in "doesn't do a satisfactory job once you understand it", it's just "bad" as in "it lacks basic fucking niceties that shouldn't need to be asked for. Like not requiring a fuckhuge resolution, or being able to fucking scroll through the spreadsheets with the fucking mousewheel/zoom in and out of the maps with said fucking mousewheel. Or being able to bring up the task force window for a task group by double clicking it on the system map or something. That sort of thing." Granted it's written in a hilariously antiquated language, one that was antiquated long before the project started, I think. Like, a decade before. But still... >:|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:41 am »

@Ozy: I kind of figured that, but I thought it would have it's own section or be more intuitive or something. Smallest crew component I've seen is 20.
Yeah, the components for the fighter needs crew members (the engine needs 3 or something like that, weapons need their own crew, so it starts to add up) meaning they aren't just 1-man-dealies
You also don't need a bridge so that helps. Also, there's an engineering bay specifically designed for fighters.

Right, so now that I started over I don't have any of my ship designs, but at least I know how to move infrastructure =P now to go wait for a while while my industry starts running.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 16, 2010, 11:43:00 am »

Thanks for the help. This game is pretty damn awesome, so far it seems to be the kind of Space 4x I would make if I ever got of my but and actually put some effort into all the ideas I think I ought to do.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 16, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

*whimpers in the corner* Someone buy me a larger monitor screen ;_;

Eh, back to drooling around the game... *drools*.

Oh well, I will play it. Somewhere in the future :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 16, 2010, 11:52:34 am »

The interface isn't really "bad" as in "doesn't do a satisfactory job once you understand it", it's just "bad" as in "it lacks basic fucking niceties that shouldn't need to be asked for. Like not requiring a fuckhuge resolution, or being able to fucking scroll through the spreadsheets with the fucking mousewheel/zoom in and out of the maps with said fucking mousewheel. Or being able to bring up the task force window for a task group by double clicking it on the system map or something. That sort of thing." Granted it's written in a hilariously antiquated language, one that was antiquated long before the project started, I think. Like, a decade before. But still... >:|
stop flaming, please.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 16, 2010, 11:55:32 am »

He's not flaming, they're all legitimate complaints.

His verbiage is a little angry, but that's to be expected when the game seems cool but is almost unplayable at points.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 16, 2010, 12:18:58 pm »

Three of my freighters cost 1337 build points.

Just thought I'd share cause I found that kinda funny =P

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 16, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »

You have an overbroad conception of flaming, those are all valid issues. It just pisses me off that something which is otherwise so fucking awesome has such serious and annoying problems.

So, Cthulhu was basically dead on, though I haven't encountered anything making it unplayable yet.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 16, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

I've tried this game and it feels strangely compelling. Unfortunately I don't have the free time to involve myself in another, so time consuming activity.

I think I understand why some people are feeling so anxious about the game. When I tried playing it I quickly gave up, overpowered by the complexity and interface issues. However, the exact same this happened the first time i played DF, but I kept returning, feeling that the game had amazing potential.

Maybe once my exams are done I can give Aurora another go. 
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 1347