Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814491 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13590 on: May 13, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »

Well, if you downloaded that all-in-one pack, you're best off asking the author about what you're missing I think.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13591 on: May 13, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »

I've recently gotten into this game and would like to know some of the efficient ways to transfer installations to other planets for colonies as my way is taking a long time and the civilian shipping lines are doing nothing even when I have things set up for them.

One thing to note, particularly early on in your game. It takes a long time to move significant quantities of installations between planets. As your engine tech and number of cargo ships increase the time drops but it will still take many in game years to transfer sufficient installations to be particularly useful.

You really have three options for getting facilities to new colonies.

Use your own freighters to transport them from one of your main colonies to the new colony. This can be slow dependant on how many freighters you have built and their cargo capacity, and costs you fuel, but it is fully under your control. Most installations you will want to move early on take one standard cargo bay each to transport, if you are using freighters with small cargo bays they will only transfer fractional amounts of an installation on each trip.

Use the civilian shipping lines to transport the facilities. This doesn't cost you fuel but does cost wealth. Civilians pick their own jobs from those available so it may take time for them to decide to work on your contracts and sometimes they seem to ignore them entirely. This varies from game to game, sometimes I've had civilian freighters sitting idle while there were available contracts, other times they have prioritized my contracts to the point that they are not keeping up infrastructure deliveries to colonies halting their growth. One trick I've found that tends to help them pick your contracts more frequently is to set up multiple smaller contracts to move part of the total installations rather than a single big one. So for example, if I'm moving 100 auto-mines from Earth to Mercury, I'll set up five supply contracts for 20 auto-mines each on Earth and five demand contracts for 20 each on Mercury.

The third option for a colony with a population is to transport a number of construction factories using one of the above methods, transport some minerals(either via freighter or mass driver) and have the colony build it's own facilities. You can also do this on unpopulated worlds by training construction brigades and moving them via troop transports. This method tends to be slow as you will usually only transport a limited number of construction facilities(otherwise you would likely keep using one of the above methods) but it doesn't require you to keep your freighters transporting all the time and removes dependence on the whims of the civilians.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13592 on: May 14, 2013, 01:08:20 am »

I recall on one game i found i didn't have enough fuel to transport all the infrastructure i needed to mars so i shipped 30% of my factories there and used mass drivers to ship duranium.
Later on i worked out the specific numbers, It actually worked out faster, i think it was because i also had a credit crunch and couldn't afford to have 30% of my production making infrastructure, while i was also using factories to rush build freighter components in order to ship the infrastructure as fast as well as trying to rush build more tankers and sorium harvesters.
So basically, factories can be better for efficient transport of large quantities of infrastructure, you just need the population to support them.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13593 on: May 14, 2013, 03:25:35 am »

Finished the research on the jump drive. Upon being placed on the ship design, it took out half of its maintenance life...

Anyways, after a few compromises and changes, it resulted in something like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure about this. Still... Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board.

Edit: Forgot that this design is using shield strength 6 when I'm up to shield strength 8. Still waiting for shield regen 8 to finish though before replacing the shields.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:15:55 am by Crimson »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13594 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59:48 am »

You have a 1.000.000 ton military shipyard? And you can feed this beast 200.000 MSP per year? It is insane...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13595 on: May 14, 2013, 04:12:16 am »

Yes (by accident which is why I made that ship) and yes maybe. Thankfully, I got new sources of duranium and gallicite to feed the construction of my 1 million ton ship. Also just finished constructing an additional 2600 maintenance facilities to allow Earth to overhaul that ship though it put a real dent on my duranium reserves. Just need to wait for the new shield tech.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13596 on: May 14, 2013, 04:28:32 am »

Well, if you're into the large jack of all trade, why not. I'd cut some of the AM fire controls as 5 or 6 should be enough to face all the volley they might launch at you with some spare. You can use it to mount a spare AM sensor, so you don't suddenly loose all AM capability whenever you take a unlucky hit.

Same for the MFC, your launchers relod in a minute, so you can launch, assing new launchers to MFC and launch again. You don't need that many this way. You might considers making several smaller reactors so you don't loose half your capability on a lucky meson hit.

I'm not sure it's worth it having more than on ECM. What are you going to carry in your hangar?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13597 on: May 14, 2013, 05:06:10 am »

The hangars were originally meant to carry five 1k ton battalion dropships and two hundred fifty 200 ton fighters but then I didn't want to deal with the fighters anymore due to the fighter bonus bug but I still wanted to keep the hangar bays so its now ten 5k ton frigates. The remaining is for two 2.5k ton recon ships meant to probe discovered jump points.

Working on the design as we speak.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 05:16:30 am by Crimson »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13598 on: May 14, 2013, 06:14:38 am »

*Gamerlord swoops in on his new experimental fighter*

Hey Crimson! If your mega-ship falls short of the requirements needed, why not use minicarriers to haul some stuff along with it, maybe also carrying fuel reserves?

Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13599 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:15 am »

If I do encounter another hostile NPR other than the two default ones, I'll probably need to do that soon if I decided to eliminate them due to the distance. Explored a lot already on all jump points from Earth and have yet to encounter an alien race that my diplomats can properly talk to.

Anyways, decided on this as the final design. It has 15 MFCS and 10 PD FCS which is less than the previous design. The extras are mainly for backup or when I get lazy. Improvements are a faster recharging railgun, stronger and faster regenerating shields, an additional armor layer, 4 smaller power plants and one large power plant and an additional AM Sensor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Construction has begun and due to the fact that most components have been built already, it'll take around 5 months to complete. However, the problem is that my total MSP is only half of the total maximum MSP of the ship so it might be a little problematic due to currently low stockpiles in duranium and gallicite.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:04:24 am by Crimson »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13600 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:47 am »

Yeah, MSPs are going to be a problem, especially since it's apparently intended as a survey ship.

May I suggest loading the hangar bays with Grav- and Geo-surveys gunboats instead? It'd speed up things a LOT.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13601 on: May 14, 2013, 01:06:23 pm »

How do you guys manage to get past early game running-out-of-everything-but-without-enough-to-expand-with?
I never manage it. I just get stuck managing an empty Earth and a massively under-industrialised Mars. A big thing is waiting for research/shipyard expansion that ends up holding me back too long.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13602 on: May 14, 2013, 01:14:29 pm »

Another weird thing, I created a colony in a uninhabitable planet to act as a automated mining colony and for some inexplicable reason, there are ques in its industrial construction and ordinance list. Discovered it since I noticed that a lot of minerals were marked red while I was checking for duranium and gallicite.

Cleared them since then. I thought I was the one who did it by accident but the things in the list were really weird. As I remember, I think it was a single engine called an Orion Drive (?), a Military Academy, a Ground Force Training Facility, 2 Deep Space Tracking Station, a Spruance PDC which I have no design off, and some infrastructure. The Ordinance list were also of unknown missiles though I don't remember their names anymore. The thing that baffled me though was that they all had weird assignments in industrial capacity (0.89% is not something you want to use to build anything for that matter except maybe maintenance supplies).
That IS odd. Maybe an NPR had a colony there at one point and the database still had their industry assignments?
I had the same problem in my current game, but it was CI conversions on Pluto.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13603 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »

How do you guys manage to get past early game running-out-of-everything-but-without-enough-to-expand-with?
I never manage it. I just get stuck managing an empty Earth and a massively under-industrialised Mars. A big thing is waiting for research/shipyard expansion that ends up holding me back too long.

• Don't produce more than a small amount of infrastructure, probably around 100 units to start off your early first colony, triggering civilian ship construction. Your civilians produce quite a large quantity for free as a trade good and it is usually sufficient to handle your first few populated colonies.
  • Don't expand your shipyards too far early on. 40-50 k for 1-2 commercial yards and 10 k for 1-2 military yards is sufficient until you have secured additional supplies of Duranium/Neutronium.
  • Don't build too many spare missiles, your early missiles will likely not be around for too long before they are replaced with more advanced designs so it doesn't make sense to spend the resources establishing a large stockpile of them.
  • Purchase the resources mined by the civilian mining companies that set up on comets/asteroids. These need to have been surveyed first so I typically make the comets my second priority after the planets/major moons.
  • Don't build too many ships/pdc's until you have the resources to do so.
  • Watch your sorium levels. You need some as the actual mineral in order to build jump engines so turn off fuel production if your stocks are getting low and you don't have your jumpships/jumpgate constructors built yet.
  • Dependant on how your luck is for mineral generation, you may need to expand to other systems to find the supplies you need.
  • Time. Things do progress slowly to start with, it can sometimes be 20 years before I start to ramp up my production due to getting sufficient mineral supplies established.
  • Conquer an enemy NPR. this can be difficult to pull off with your starting tech and ships, but if you pull it off you gain all of their facilities and surviving population, giving you a big boost.

The default start for Earth generates far less minerals than you would expect for a body of that size. This was done to encourage expansion, but can sometimes result in mineral levels that simply make the start unviable in any reasonable time period. You can use SM mode to adjust the mineral levels via the system information screen. If I'm playing a game where I'm not wanting to excessively worry about artificial mineral shortages, or doing a pre-TN start I typically just multiply the quantity of each mineral in the ground by 10.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13604 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:41 pm »

Trying this out again now that I've upgraded my monitor, I've run into a small problem. I've created a fleet consisting of a cruiser, tanker, and collier. The tanker is designated as a tanker in the ship design, and has plenty of fuel, but the cruiser constantly runs out of fuel, forcing me to manually equalize fuel supplies. Is there a way to automate this? I have a conditional "refuel at tanker" order set up on the fleet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 905 906 [907] 908 909 ... 1347