Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814382 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #13605 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »

Did you design the cruiser with a tiny fuel supply?

You may want to make the tanker its own taskforce and give the cruiser the conditional refuel order, though that may get annoying if its fuel stores are tiny as it will interrupt whatever it was doing when it refuels.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: May 14, 2013, 07:57:33 pm »

The cruiser's fuel supply isn't exactly tiny, but the engines aren't very efficient, and I didn't want too large a tank (which would slow the ship down) because the ship was intended to work with a tanker, so I didn't enlarge it from the default.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: May 14, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »

Hmmm, shouldn't the cruiser automatically be pulling fuel from the tanker if they're in the same task group?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13608 on: May 15, 2013, 03:49:07 pm »

That was my assumption, but it's not happening.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13609 on: May 15, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »

You need to set the taskgroup with conditional order "refuel from own tankers".
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: May 15, 2013, 08:20:42 pm »

That order does not exist.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: May 15, 2013, 11:02:34 pm »

Well, I've got an Aurora itch that needs scratching. I guess it's time to see if I can get it to work with Wine.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13612 on: May 16, 2013, 05:30:05 am »

Well, I've got an Aurora itch that needs scratching. I guess it's time to see if I can get it to work with Wine.
I don't think wine works on itches but I believe they have an ointment for that.  :)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:25 am »

I don't think wine works on itches but I believe they have an ointment for that.  :)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13614 on: May 16, 2013, 08:16:48 am »

That order does not exist.

Hmm... just checked, you are right that doesn't show up in the conditional orders list. It does show up in the normal orders list however, so if you are setting up a patrol route or similar then you need to add that in within the queued orders.

The alternative is to place the tanker in a separate taskgroup with default orders set to "follow higher fleet in system" and set the superior formation dropdown to the taskgroup that contains your other ships. Then set default orders for your main ships of "refuel at nearest tanker" to activate at 20% fuel capacity.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »

Still makes taskforce training a pain.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13616 on: May 17, 2013, 12:15:30 am »

A few things have happened in my game after a year though I have yet to encounter the generated starting computer-controlled NPR.

First is the UNSC Providence, which has been in commission for several months now and is busy conducting training exercises. It currently has six 5k ton frigates, five 1k ton battalion dropships and with the advice of sheb, four of each of my newly designed 1k ton geological and gravitational survey vessels. Six more geo and grav ships will be built (along with 1 more frigate) to use the maximum hangar capacity of the huge ship.

Economy wise, money and minerals are still flowing in nicely, other than gallicite. On Earth, there are only 4000 tons in stockpile. With 151 ships and 50 orbital defense weapons in orbit, its slowly withering away the stockpile. There's a lot of gallicite in different systems but it'll take some time to mine and transfer them back. Next is that I discovered few interesting things on 2 adjacent systems, Sirius (2 jumps away from Sol) and the system it leads up to, Procyon. I've discovered this two systems on my early explorations but stopped due to the precursors being on both systems. Anyway, the first one is the presence of a 0.0 colony cost planet  (my very first in all of my Aurora games) on Procyon. It's 3 jumps away and not too far from the jump points of its adjacent system. I just didn't bother to check at first due to the aliens. Interestingly, after dealing with the precursors and completing the geo scans on both systems, my Empire discovers an alien ruin on each. One is a ruined colony on Procyon and the other is a ruined outpost on Sirius. Xenologist are already busy studying both for a few months already but have yet to turn up anything.

The only problem I have right now is the gallicite shortages I mentioned and the constant interrupts of Precursor mines which is annoying me. I'm not sure if I'd want to try and spend a lot of fuel just trying to find them but if they start to really irritate me, I'll do so and deal with them with the use of my 1m ton ships AM sensors, so long as I can correctly predict what system those mines are in.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: May 18, 2013, 07:29:35 am »

If I make a ship that has a terraforming module with 0.002 annual rate, and then research it up to 0.0025, will that affect the already-built ship?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: May 18, 2013, 07:33:18 am »

Yes.

This is true for everything, unless the research unlocked a new module.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: May 18, 2013, 09:53:07 am »

So, how would you suggest organising ships/task groups/task forces?
To have it be the least clunky or most useful. Whatever way would make it feel less forced than it is now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1347