Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816711 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10590 on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »

The fact that it takes time to process everything involved in a 30-day turn isn't exactly a surprise, much less a bug. Quite apart from that, how many other TBS have you played where processing a turn occurs in less than a second at any point past the first 5 turns or so? Keep in mind that it is also processing every interaction for every AI faction over that time as well, so if you've started with an NPR (or simply explored a system with one in it), you're going to have them running around behind the scenes exploring, building, and fighting.

On another note, the 5-day turn is generally the most efficient, as it is the minimum period by which most of the processes (construction, research, etc.) tick, and it takes substantially less time to process.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: June 10, 2012, 03:39:15 pm »

I've always had a bug on the galactic map, and I definitely updated properly. Not like I've ever escapes Sol, but it's still irritating.
Edit: It's class not found, when trying to enter a system from the galactic map.
EDITEDIT: 713
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:43:53 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: June 10, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »

With all the micromanagement I imagine trying to play a game like this in real time would just about wreck your computer or wreck your brain stem.

For the record I do believe steve mentioned a pause feature, I assume it will be like hearts of iron III (grand strat game with fastforward/pause)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: June 10, 2012, 04:11:05 pm »

He said it would be like EU3, which is the same as HoI III.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: June 10, 2012, 11:34:01 pm »

The only problem i have with the tick system is when:
A) It stops my 5 day /30 day ticks for 15 second ticks related to stuff i don't know anything about, If i can't see those NPR's slugging it out in a nearby system then the game should just ignore it, it's technically a spoiler allowing me to know that SOMETHING is going on.
B) When i use auto turns because of A, and the game fails to stop ticking while certain bad things are happening. Off the top of my head i remember a previous session when i set 30 30 day ticks for a laugh, and it kept ticking while my fleet was reduced to wrecks due to maintainence failures. I can't remember if enemy contact and "size 1 explosion x 40billion" also fails to stop auto turns, but i seem to remember loosing fleets in combat from it also.
Apart from that, yeah it's a turn based game and stuff needs time to process, i only started playing aurora again because my i7 runs it much faster.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: June 10, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »

A) Due to technical issues the game needs to move at slow increments for fighting NPRs. Things wouldn't work trying to run a battle at 30 day ticks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: June 10, 2012, 11:42:23 pm »

Well, it could hide the 5 sec clicks. Sure, your 30-days click could take forever and a day to finish, but you'd get it at the end.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: June 10, 2012, 11:54:26 pm »

Well, obviously it would take a while to finish, but it would be faster for the game to just keep running the NPR battle then finish your 30 day tick then it would be for it to stop processing at 5 seconds, wait for you to click 30 days but process 5 seconds a few more times, get frustrated, set a random guessed auto tick quantity (i usually start with 30 1 hour ticks then ignore the window for a few minutes), then when i come back if the last few ticks were in 1 hour increments go back to a 30 day tick, otherwise i'll repeat the 1 hour tick process untill the small ticks are finished.
There's only 1 logical reason to allow you to react to these mysterious short ticks and thats so you know the game is going to be spending some time processing the NPR battles (which you shouldn't know are occuring anyway) because theres actually nothing you can do untill the battle is ovber, short of deleting one of the empires involved, so therefore theres no reason to pause at all.
Which is why my suggestion is to let the game keep processing, but a few auto tick/stop options would be great.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: June 11, 2012, 12:07:18 am »

Well, it could hide the 5 sec clicks. Sure, your 30-days click could take forever and a day to finish, but you'd get it at the end.

Didn't he explicitly add the ability to do that a while ago? It's buried somewhere in the auto options, but I'm sure you can set it to keep running until your full desired time is up. Still slow as all hell though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: June 11, 2012, 01:36:06 am »

Didn't he explicitly add the ability to do that a while ago? It's buried somewhere in the auto options, but I'm sure you can set it to keep running until your full desired time is up. Still slow as all hell though.
Yep, there is, you manually set the amounts of the minimum amount of autoturns until something can interrupt, or something like that. The question is, depending on what click you decide, how long are you willing to sit and wait?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: June 11, 2012, 05:34:56 am »

them maybe i haven't been using autoturns right, i'll play arount with it and see what happenss.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: June 11, 2012, 05:24:09 pm »

I have noticed that they can be a little wonky, but setting a bunch of 1-hour ticks in the autoturn counter will usually get you past the battle. I find that quite often (or at least fairly often in the times I've SM-checked) it takes so long because Precursors/Invaders/SS have gotten into an NPR home system and are chasing down every last freighter and colony ship, because NPRs tend to build dozens of the things.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: June 11, 2012, 06:38:44 pm »

There's also a problem with Invader/Swarm battles. Real spoilers ahead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: June 12, 2012, 04:23:14 am »

I've always had a bug on the galactic map, and I definitely updated properly. Not like I've ever escapes Sol, but it's still irritating.
Edit: It's class not found, when trying to enter a system from the galactic map.
EDITEDIT: 713

This sounds like my main problem. I can handle the wait between turns because of autoturns and walking away and guessing about when I'll want to do something (lots of wasted time by my civ though but it's explainable if I wanted to). It's when you have to click the ok button on the overflow error on the system map for every ship you have over the limit (hundreds of times each opening of the system map) that I have to give it up. That means if you suddenly give your civilians an enormous subsidy that seems reasonable to start a space industry so they build a fleet of ships to ship things from Earth to Mars, they can easily build a huge number of ships to cause the overflow error.

Also I should note it's possible to persevere but I'd prefer to wait until it doesn't happen anymore. It makes it unlikely to be able to get much farther than a colony on mars unless I neglect the civvies.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:07:09 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TheCondor07

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: June 12, 2012, 09:12:03 am »

Yeah, Vista and Windows 7 "Administrator" is crap.  Why can't I ALWAYS run as administrator?  It's my f&#@ing computer.

It's almost as bad as the "mature content protection" on my PS2 that keeps asking for a code on PG-13 movies.  Sigh

One thing you can do is to right-click the aurora shortcut and click properties.  Then go under the compatibility tab and click Run this program as an administrator.
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1347