Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2816816 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10620 on: June 25, 2012, 06:07:59 am »

Is anyone else amazed at all the people with tiny screens?

I have two 23" 1920x1080 monitors which cost me about $300 total as they were on sale. They're beautiful and have lasted a long time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:10:37 am by forsaken1111 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: June 25, 2012, 06:15:21 am »

Lots of people hae nothing but their puny laptops.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: June 25, 2012, 06:24:47 am »

I used to game on 14" laptop when I was a poor student. Now I have full time job and 17" gaming laptop.

Point being there are times in life when you can't afford to spend much on entertainment, even for $300. :)
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10623 on: June 25, 2012, 06:27:16 am »

I used to game on 14" laptop when I was a poor student. Now I have full time job and 17" gaming laptop.

Point being there are times in life when you can't afford to spend much on entertainment, even for $300. :)
I wasn't saying that everyone should be able to afford larger monitors, I am just surprised by the number of people having trouble with the screen size. I didn't realize it was so common. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: June 25, 2012, 06:28:48 am »

No worries, mate. Probably that shows the demographics of Bay 12 forumites, mostly students? :P
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:26 am »

I was surprised that my brand new quad core 64 bit i7 2.2 ghz with 8gb ram and Geforce GT 540M 672mhz 1500mb Video (middle range video really) Came with a screen with maximum 1366x 768 screen resolution.
My 7 year old toshiba which was similar being essentially middle range for back then except for the high end for the time dual core processor supported screen resolution slightly higher, and i could set the video card to double that and have the screen scroll when the mouse hit the edge.
I think maybe 1366x768 is pretty much standard for midrange 15 inch laptops, but i could be wrong.
So there fore alot of people would have problems running aurora without running into problems.
I only need to run resize enable when i use the task group window as i can't see the words on the bottom buttons (generally i only need the delete and rename task group buttons, which i have memorised anyway).
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: June 25, 2012, 08:27:25 am »

Not surprised. There's three 1366x768 displays here, and one 1600x900. 1366x768 seems popular amongst the smaller laptops, and I couldn't actually fit any larger monitors on my desk.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:24 am »

Recent monitor display sucks and there in no way around it. Some years ago 1440x900 was uncommon but available, with some highends like traveates available in 1680x1050

I had one but in the end the support forthat resolution from directx sucked so I opted for a more conventional 4:3 afterward.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: June 25, 2012, 01:00:28 pm »

So uh, how do I make new task groups? Can I make new task groups?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: June 25, 2012, 01:11:49 pm »

There should be a button in the task group menu (F12). It's in the lower left, and it says "New Task Group". It'll be created at the location of the selected Task Force (which will probably be Fleet Headquarters at Earth). If you want to split ships off from an existing task group (say, that's floating in space somewhere), use the commands under the "Special Orders/Organization" tab (they're on the right). Most of the buttons have tooltips if you hover over them, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: June 25, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »

When I want new task forces, I change the orientation of my screen so that down is right.  Quite confusing to mess with, but it gets the job done.  I of course change back to normal orientation when I'm done.

To illustrate, I go from:

^
|

to

<-

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:14 pm »

Re: resolutions: Yeah, I think a lot of us are on laptops. I'm running it on a 1024x768 monitor, so I sort of had to figure stuff out, because I certainly wasn't going to not play Aurora.  :P

But yes, the Task Group window is one of the big ones that needs resizing; I think that all the buttons related to creating, deleting, and renaming TGs are on the second row of buttons along the bottom. Once you've made a new one, just rename it to what you want and add ships to it (once you add the first ship, you'll have to have new ones in the same location unless you SM-cheat). You can also construct ships directly into TGs, so you can set up some degree of organization right before starting a wave of construction.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:20 pm »

How do you move ships onto an existing task group, though? :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:50 am »

If in the near future if you're going to buy a new television, and you can also use a monitor with a gigantic resolution, and you can afford one and preferably find one on sale, I heartily recommend purchasing a high def projector. I get 1920x1080 on my dad's and it's across a portion of the wall so you can actually read it. It makes TF2 (and everything else) even more awesome. With all the plugs in the back I can do VGA, DVI, or HDMI and I can switch from TV to computer video with the push of a button. My next step is finding a way to switch between computer and TV audio. Right now I'm stuck on headphones for computer audio, but in a little while and a small investment I'll be able to go through our relatively cheap but more than adequate sound system.

We bought everything when it was on sale at Best Buy (I say we because I was there during the purchase [I was still a minor I think] because my dad grudgingly allowed himself to listen my advice after I explained to him at length about how I was in my second year of career training specializing in, among other things, technology relating to video and audio). They were out of the projector model they were displaying, and were switching the floor model to a new make or model so we actually bought the floor model at a significant discount. A lot of luck on our part I know, but I'd assume nowadays with recession pricing on luxury goods it might be cheaper to buy something similar than when we bought ours just before the recession.

The original projector burned out a few times while on warranty. It was sent in for repairs three or four times and eventually Best Buy simply replaced it. That one burned out once while on warranty and has had no problems since and hasn't even required a new bulb yet. Make sure you get a multi year warranty if it doesn't break the bank and also just ignore the replace bulb warning as it's probably the idea of some marketing genius. Also invest in some thick curtains for sunny days.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:04:06 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10634 on: June 26, 2012, 03:36:15 am »

How do you move ships onto an existing task group, though? :/

If the two task groups are in the same location you can open up the 'special orders/organisation' tab on the taskgroup tab page. On the right you can select a taskgroup to move ships into.

Alternatively, if you want all the ships in the current taskgroup to move to another you can use the join taskgroup order by selecting the taskgroup you want to move the ships to as the target.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 1347