Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I don't want to play anymore....  (Read 3173 times)

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't want to play anymore....
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »

Does anyone else feel a little bit hesitant to play Dwarf Fortress much for fear that they'll get bored of it before the update arrives?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to play anymore....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »

Well I have been having a break for some time now and I'm thinking of continuing my fort.
What makes me hesitate ist the hords of imigrants I have to manage as soon as I reload my save :/

Normally wouldn't be a problem, but I've been quite busy in the lsat time...

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:46 pm »

I really want to play a fortress, but I don't want to commit to anything before the update comes out.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Murray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »

When is the new version actually arriving? I have no idea.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:34 pm »

Well I have been having a break for some time now and I'm thinking of continuing my fort.
What makes me hesitate ist the hords of imigrants I have to manage as soon as I reload my save :/

Normally wouldn't be a problem, but I've been quite busy in the lsat time...

Same. No sooner do I get enough booze and food going and more bedrooms carved out, here comes the next bunch.  Bah.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:24:32 pm »

Nooo!   Must finish megaproject before new release breaks my saves!  Must finish megaproject!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

So is the next release definitely breaking saves? Even more reason not to play, darn!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:08 pm »

So is the next release definitely breaking saves? Even more reason not to play, darn!
Yes, it is. There's so much new and changed stuff that making it possible to keep the saves would be extremely hard for Toady. Or rather impossible.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:55 pm »

I'm worried more that I get tired of having to redo my fort.
For some reason, my game save tends to suddenly kill itself and I can't load it up.
At least this time I didn't lose a week of work.

Sad face. : (

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:49:44 pm »

Same. No sooner do I get enough booze and food going and more bedrooms carved out, here comes the next bunch.  Bah.

If you haven't tried it, give a no-immigrant fortress a whirl. It's quite a bit different trying to pull everything together with only a dozen dwarves (you always get a few immigrants). The game runs so much faster you can get 20 years in with a pretty small time commitment.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I took a two week or so break from DF, couldn't think of a thing I wanted to do. I'd occasionally come back and try an embark, but I'd barely get the grid of my fort laid out (which takes 15 seconds or so, I use a standard fortress template) before I'd get bored stiff. Two days ago, I suddenly decided I wanted to make an obsidian farm... and while I'm at it I want to build a tower by hand out of obsidian. DF isn't forgettable, there's almost always something new to try.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »

Try a micro fort. Just a 2x2 fort. Or if you get the utility, go with a nanofort. 1x1.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:07:53 pm »

I don't want to play anymore...

...when next version comes in!

Really, day by day I hear about the awesomeness that's gonna come, and I'm a bit sad... all those wonderful things, like Nist Akath, tons of mods, ongoing succesion games (I hope they won't get dropped at instant), and so much blah.

Ah well, I should start a new thread, eh?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GameHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »

Yup, I go through cycles with DF - play intensely, get burnt out, step away for a few months.

Well, it's been a few months.  I have the itch to play but I am loath to start a new fortress until the new version comes out.

The last week has been difficult - no dev updates (because of Toady's plague).  I was very relieved to see one today, glad Toady is feeling better.

Hopefully the new version hits while I'm still in a dwarfy mood.  I haven't really played for about 4 months now, I badly want to start again.

Zades

• Bay Watcher
  • Do flying babies do blunt or gore damage?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:05 pm »

NO NO

I MUST CREATE MY FIRST THRIVING UTOPIA.

..but the new version seems so wonderous..

AUGH.
Pages: [1] 2 3