Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: The Bay12 Time Capsule  (Read 18460 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Time Capsule
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:17 am »

What happens when you learn that learning everything is impossible?

He builds a time machine and gutpunches Godel.

Duh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2011, 12:30:38 am »

Oh boy. A time capsule.

I want to be here when it opens.

I want to see real personal growth and see the growing out of what I see to be some phases.

I want less stress and more just chill.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2011, 12:32:37 am »

I'd like to see me get better at mafia.

Knowing me and my ego, next year I'll be all "lol remember when I was still stumbling with mafia?"

Remember that, me. I called this shit before myself one year in advance, so I can just go suck it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2011, 12:34:08 am »

Well. I am glad to see I am not the only one who does not insult and leave traps and stuff for my past and future self.

The bastards.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2011, 12:35:11 am »

Ooh, time capsules.

Quote from: My stuff
I will fix my aggravating self-confidence issues, and I will have an awesome work ethic. I will have have at least three original pieces of fiction that aren't 2 page snippets under my belt.

I'll come back in a year and see if I actually did it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2011, 12:39:42 am »

The reward is in the journey, not the destination. At least for this particular journey. Today I studied the crap out of Roman mythology and its relations to Greek mythology. I freakin' love learning things.

If it is indeed possible to learn everything, then I will not have to learn that it is impossible. If it is not possible, I will not have learned everything yet and thus I cannot have learned this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44:16 am »

If it is indeed possible to learn everything, then I will not have to learn that it is impossible. If it is not possible, I will not have learned everything yet and thus I cannot have learned this.

. . .

There are other proofs than the method of exhaustion, you know.  If you do major in math, it should take you about one year to learn this concept, if you're sufficiently sharp.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2011, 12:45:28 am »

Vector, you missed the point so far it is pretty depressing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:57 am »

Vector, you missed the point so far it is pretty depressing.

I kind of doubt it.  I'm just saying that we've already mathematically proven that we'll never know everything, provided that we permit ourselves to count.  And since counting is possible in any language structure (I won't explain how, but I'll just say "think for a while about set theory and Saussure"), the conclusion is a bit obvious.

At this point, the expressed statement seems somewhat naive.  That's all I mean.

EDIT: Maybe I am taking this too literally.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2011, 12:51:31 am »

God. You sound like Armok.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:25 am »

God. You sound like Armok.

Sorry.  I'll go do something else tonight, as it seems I'm not really fit to post here in my current state of mind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:51 am »

Of course it's naive. I don't know everything. Yet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2011, 12:54:32 am »

Actually I consider it a very impressive insight, (though perhaps something more popular, like all the decimals of Pi, would have been a better example, but this is besides the point you crazy mathematician you.)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2011, 12:55:13 am »

Of course it's naive. I don't know everything. Yet.

It's not going to work.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2011, 12:58:33 am »

Actually I consider it a very impressive insight, (though perhaps something more popular, like all the decimals of Pi, would have been a better example, but this is besides the point you crazy mathematician you.)

Oh, really?

Thank you.  I feel better.  It is something I discovered when I was thinking about my rhetoric class a little while ago.  Set theory as expressing the "definition of language as negation" seemed like a very nice identification between the sciences of hermeneutics and mathematics, thus unifying Wittgenstein's two chief interests into one surprising whole :D

But I am just fangirling now.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17