Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45

Author Topic: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 5, Cycle 2)  (Read 71343 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 3, World 3, Cycle 2)
« Reply #570 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:27 am »

I haven't lost interest, I've been keenly watching.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 20, 2010, 01:57:10 am »

Well, it looks like something may be up with Qwerty, they havn't been online since the 16th. I'll give until monday before I start shuffling the wait list for a new player and put Qwerty into hibernation.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2010, 11:50:50 am »

Yay! Only a few more months to go!

On the bright side, by the time some of these people get their turns, they'll have lost interest or discovered they're busy with other things. So maybe it'll be four months instead of six.  :P
'Tis a possibility, but I'll stay a pessimist until I actually get my turn :P

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »

Tyg, just be patient. you will get your shot soon enough... i've been waiting since about... halfway through the first cycle, i think. it did pick up alot of speed at the end of the first cycle.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »

Damn... at least I had one and a half months' worth to read. Must have been agonizing to have to wait for so long  :'(

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:41 pm »

i find myself checking bay12 about... 20x daily... for this, another forum game, and DF 2010.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »

Having just returned, I think that was the last of any long internet access disturbances for the forseeable future.

Thus, I shall craft the palm into usable resources(and return them to group storage afterwards)
Eh?
Eh!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 22, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

/!actions in
Back to Mafia with me!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 22, 2010, 02:48:42 pm »

yep, been a bit busy with starting seeds for my garden, so haven't had time to sit down and roll the actions. I'll get to it eventually, maybe tonight if I have time.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 22, 2010, 11:48:06 pm »

I really hope it is tonight, this thread provides immense entertainment, and I get a happy thought when I see that you've updated it.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 23, 2010, 12:00:36 am »

Cheddarius has witnessed death. Cheddarius has been evicted lately. Cheddarius was nauseated by the sun lately. Cheddarius has been annoyed by flies. Cheddarius was disgusted by miasma. Cheddarius has been accosted by terrible vermin. Cheddarius lost a good friend lately. Cheddarius has been starving lately. Cheddarius has been dehydrated lately. Cheddarius slept in the mud lately.

Cheddarius was comforted by Hephaestus' Automatons lately.

Cheddarius is ecstatic.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 23, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »

Man oh man... This turn is going to be epic. Some of you may wish to retract your wish that the turn will come. Muhaha. As someone blows themselves to itty bitty diety bits, and leaves them in the medical rooms for two turns.

*continues on with the rolls, should be up in an hour or two*

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 23, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »

Quote from: Cheddarius
Cheddarius has witnessed death. Cheddarius has been evicted lately. Cheddarius was nauseated by the sun lately. Cheddarius has been annoyed by flies. Cheddarius was disgusted by miasma. Cheddarius has been accosted by terrible vermin. Cheddarius lost a good friend lately. Cheddarius has been starving lately. Cheddarius has been dehydrated lately. Cheddarius slept in the mud lately.

Cheddarius was comforted by Hephaestus' Automatons lately.

Cheddarius is ecstatic.

Something tells me these are ALL connected to one bad decision.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 23, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »

World:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

group storage:

EagleV:

Kashyyk:

filiusenox:

Cheddarius:

qwertyuiopas:

Diakron:

~~~~~

Purchase metalsmithing equipment.
Smith a ring of compressed platinum with an ornate "C" on it
You purchase one piece of metalsmithing gear, at the cost of 250 influence. The ship gives you a dark metalic cruicible for melting and shaping metal.
attempt: 3-10+1=-6 :o
If it's one thing all the creators can take away from this action, it's that one should really be careful about compressing materials with too much force. You set out to make a ring, by compressing two of the platinum bars together with crushing power. Of course, when two objects are pushed together at the atomic level, great amounts of energy is released. The force fields of the ship barely go up in time to contain the resulting atomic blast. However, you and all your inventory were inside at the center. In your last aware moments you see all of the platinum in your inventory melt and evaporate, your new cruicible holds out a bit longer, but it too eventually succumbs, and the last thing you see is a burnt image of a certain flailing genitalia as it slowly vaporizes into blinding light...

The other creators are rocked as the whole of the ship is moved by the blast, but the shields hold. A blinking alarm light charges Cheddarius with a massive 500 influence debt, and while the automated medical robots report he is alive, it will take some time before he will be awake again.

-500 influence
- 1 metalsmithing equipment
- platinum bar !Base influence: 44!
- platinum genitalia medal !Base influence: 135!
- 2 turns. You will awake and be able to do an action on the third day of the next world(world 4).

I could have known a burning egg needs a red nest. Craft a nest from the grass, put anything I don't need anymore in group storage.
attempt: 5
Thinking the grass would make a nice nest, you begin to weave the red objects together. However, as you do so, you are distracted by the fluffy pink rabbit who keeps berating you about having too many mushrooms in your pockets. You decide to tell him to go pork a piece of bologna, but fall into the endless hole within your left fingernail instead. After what seems like years, you wake up in your work shop area with red grass scattered all about you, and a ship readout showing a medical invoice for 70 influence to cure hallucigens. On the bright side, you've found a unique aspect of your grass.
+5 weaving exp
-70 influence

drop kick mud back to group invy, grab 2 portions of white cricket ants
hatch 2 firelizard eggs...
attempt: 70+20=90
quality: 21
base influence: 71+21+28(egg)+38(crickets)=158
Returning the mud to group storage, you grab some cricket ants and focus on hatching some of your eggs. As before, artificially hatching animals is a tricky buisness, heating the objects just enough, while altering time around them. You start with 4 eggs, but in the end only two of them are able to hatch, the others crumble and scatter into dust as you get the hang of altering the time in a localized area. Feeding the newly hatched creatures the cricket ant things, you bond yourself with a tiny male bronze, and slightly smaller male brown fire lizard.
+180 enhanced incubation exp (~Levelup!~)
+158 crafting influence
+ bronze fire lizard, brown fire lizard.(+5 on gathering rolls, -1 inventory space, per miniture dragon)
- fire lizard egg(alive) !Base influence: 56!
- unit of white cricket ants !Base influence: 76!
- unit of white cricket ants !Base influence: 76!

Carve something on another bone.
attempt: 23+2=25
You choose one of your other bones, and press your fingers together making a shaped power chisel. Lowering it above the bone you pause.   ..     ... for quite some time. It occurs to you that you don't know exactly what a 'something' looks like. And by the time you manage to come to this conclusion, the day has mostly slid by.
+25 bone engraving exp

I train my fire lizards to help me with crafting as in collecting tools, heating things, etc. I use my redfin fish as rewards for doing things well (craft)
attempt: 94
quality: 57
base influence: 67+57+78(fishes)=202
Taking some of the redfin fish, you begin to try and train your fire lizards. It's not an easy job, especially since your powers are made to craft things, not try and teach animals to do your bidding. Eventually you manage to get them to understand what you want. By feeding them a redfin fish, you can get them to breathe a sulfurous fire. This will give you +5 to a roll that needs heat, as long as you spend a unit of fish or food to get the lizards to do it.
+188 Bio Alteration exp(changing the internal makeup of fire lizards to breathe fire without firestone)(~Levelup!~)
+202 crafting influence
- unit of fresh redfin fish(2 fish per units due to size)  !Base influence: 26!
NOTE: You got very very lucky here. I'll say this again, do not alter your fire lizards, they are a special case bound to you, if you hadn't rolled a critical you would have lost one or both of them. I suppose if that's what you want to happen, you can continue trying to get more bonuses from them, but sooner or later it's going to nip you in the bud.

I shall craft the palm into usable resources(and return them to group storage afterwards)
Note: you can disect or dismantle items without using a crafting action to do so. Just say, I want to dismantle so and so, and use blah to make whatever. Putting the rest into group inventory, or however you wish. Along the same lines, you may still use an action to dissasemble something, this gives you some influence, just wanted to make sure you know the option.
attempt: 33+20=53
quality: 34
base influence: 6+34+33(palm)=73
Getting the Palm tree from group storage, you begin to work on chopping it up and getting the seperate parts into useable resources. The tree itself is rather small for a large plant, and you almost butcher the job, just barely managing to correct mistakes and getting some useable objects out of the thing. The experimental work done to segement the tree takes it's toll however, and you loose some of the materials in the process.
+53 plant segmentation exp
+36 crafting influence
+ 2 palm planks !Base influence: 73!
+ 5 units of palm tree bark !Base influence: 73!
+ 3 units of sawdust !Base influence: 73!
+ 2 palm fronds !Base influence: 73!
+ 1 unit of topsoil !Base influence: 73!
- full sized acacia palm (5 units of wood, 2 units of dirt, 3 units of palm fronds)  !Base influence: 66!

World:

The day slowly comes to a close as the creators work inside the ship, the quiet hum of the engines powering up is clearly audible, and the routine thud and slight jerk herald the progress to a new world.

World:

Wheee, wasn't that fun? :)

Sorry about the unpredictable update times folks, time is always the enemy of the busy.

Hope you enjoy the massive fail in this turn, and let me know of any mistakes like usual.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus' Automatons (Day 1, World 4, Cycle 2)
« Reply #584 on: March 23, 2010, 08:16:34 pm »

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 45