Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39

Author Topic: Christmas Mafia: End - final gift  (Read 59405 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Mafia: Day 1 - Christmas Eve
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2009, 01:14:00 pm »

Oh, and Dak, if mallies or scrooge get letters, nothing happens, right?

Let me try to think of some good town strategies...
One might be "Everybody send no letters", because this will basically give everyone random roles (or coal for people Santa doesn't like). This means that we have Mafia where everyone gets a role... this seems like good chances to me, as normally only Mafia get a role - killing. But it doesn't seem like the best strategy, as Dakarian has surely thought of this and he would not make such a boring strategy a good one.
Another might be my mash-up strategy where everyone sends letters according to his or here rolewant.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2009, 01:25:22 pm »

FOS on Leafsnail and RandomNumberGenerator. Both have been acting a bit suspiciously, but I'm not convinced this isn't just a town fight so far.
Do you think it's a staged scum fight, or are you saying that one of us is scum?  Since you haven't specified, this looks a lot like launching vague, directionless attacks to look active.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2009, 01:27:57 pm »

FOS on Leafsnail and RandomNumberGenerator. Both have been acting a bit suspiciously, but I'm not convinced this isn't just a town fight so far.
Do you think it's a staged scum fight, or are you saying that one of us is scum?  Since you haven't specified, this looks a lot like launching vague, directionless attacks to look active.

I don't think you're both scum. I think it's likely that one of you is scum, but there remains the possibility that you're both just town. Hence the FOS.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »

Guys! I think figuring out a letter strategy is really important. Sure, figuring out scum so Santa will give them coal is useful, but a letter strategy will help a ton, and it's logic-based, not "does this guy seem sneaky to me" based, so we can debate it logically. If nobody helps I'll do it myself, but I got stuff to do and I'm not very good at Mafia so I might mess up.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2009, 01:29:30 pm »

Oh wait I got owned by Dakarian
Sorry Dak, I'll stop

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2009, 01:40:00 pm »

1. Nothing happens if the letter reaches a Mall Santa or a Scrooge.

2. I was mostly thinking individually.  I can tell you this, though, I cannot see a town winning without scumhunting.

Btw, this game will work out fine no matter what happens, even if Santa gives coal to everyone.

I have nothing wrong with letter strategy.  However, it can't replace the hunt.  It can Suppliment it.. but not replace it.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »

Oh, so you are a copwanter?
I didn't say I was. I was giving the only strategy that occured to me. If you are a copwanter, you might want to send some more letters, because the reward is good and the risk is small. If you are a docwanter... maybe the same, because doctors protect people from Mafia so it's useless to the Mafia, right? No, a doc Mafia could protect from Vigilantes. Still, it would be more effective for a townie, I think, since there's probably only one Vigilante (there is probably one role that is doubled up, but Vigilante only has a 1/7 chance of being it). I think Bus Drivers should be more cautious in letter sending, because confusion is very powerful for the Mafia if they can steal it, but not so great for town, because town might not even know what's going on. Same with Redirecter. Vig is probably better being cautious, because Vig is powerful for Mafia who know who to kill, and sucky for town who don't.

Therefore, my advice is: Cop, Rolecop, Doc: be generous with letters.
Vig, Bus, Redirect: be more cautious with your letters.
I don't know about roleblocker, though. Could someone give out some advice for that/confirm my advice here?

Oh, and like leaf said, all letters is probably a very bad idea. No letters might be overcautious, but I don't know. I'm thinking maybe send 5/6 letters if you're generous type, 2 to 4 if you're cautious? I need to look at the numbers a bit more.

3 new replies but I will post anyway.
Well, since the letters are templated, mafia won't know what role it is. However, they can still watch to see what is given out. If the mafia finds out who the cops/doctors are, that will be very powerful in it's own right. So I think everyone should be careful when sending letters.

I don't think you're both scum. I think it's likely that one of you is scum, but there remains the possibility that you're both just town. Hence the FOS.

There is a possibility of it being a town fight, yes. However, Leafsnail is currently the scummiest player I see in the game; I played with him in Wizard Duel 3, and he acted very different there than he is acting here. That's why I think he's scum. As for some of the others, I think a large percentage of people are new to Mafia and don't exactly know what they should be doing, and accidentally do anti-town things without realizing it. So I'm holding off judgment on them, but I'm certainly keeping an eye out for slip-ups.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2009, 01:46:42 pm »

Yes, my goal was to supplement it. Clearly hunting is the most valuable, and indeed necessary, so people know who to protect and vig and such.

But as you said, townies can increase their chances if they supplement with letter strategy... does anyone have any thoughts on this?

What about you, Mr. Person? You still have not posted. Are you perhaps waiting out the day? Waiting for the sweet, sweet joy of Christmas? Perhaps you have some reason to wait. Perhaps you're a scum waiting for a bus role so that you can talk and also make yourself look not like scum... or something. I haven't really thought this out. But still, you are looking suspicious.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2009, 01:50:14 pm »

As for some of the others, I think a large percentage of people are new to Mafia and don't exactly know what they should be doing, and accidentally do anti-town things without realizing it. So I'm holding off judgment on them, but I'm certainly keeping an eye out for slip-ups.

Not really a large percentage. The only people I haven't been in a game with before are Cheddarius, Sonearage, Akigagak, and yourself. And you have apparently played at least one game before (albeit a heavy variant), so 3 out 11 isn't too bad for a new-player count.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2009, 02:00:33 pm »

As for some of the others, I think a large percentage of people are new to Mafia and don't exactly know what they should be doing, and accidentally do anti-town things without realizing it. So I'm holding off judgment on them, but I'm certainly keeping an eye out for slip-ups.

Not really a large percentage. The only people I haven't been in a game with before are Cheddarius, Sonearage, Akigagak, and yourself. And you have apparently played at least one game before (albeit a heavy variant), so 3 out 11 isn't too bad for a new-player count.

Hmm... I guess so. I have yet to play with:

Mr.Person
Zai
Cheddarius
Pandarsenic
Webadict
Mephansteras
Sonearage
Akigagak

So there are quite a few people I don't know how to read.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »

There is a possibility of it being a town fight, yes. However, Leafsnail is currently the scummiest player I see in the game; I played with him in Wizard Duel 3, and he acted very different there than he is acting here.  That's why I think he's scum.
Hehe.  You see, RNG, this is still by far the easiest way to find scum.  You've just exhibited possibly the biggest scumtell of all - changing your story when pressure is put on you.

Town have no need to cover their tracks.  After all, they actually are acting on their suspicions.  When someone's just randomly blitzing in order to try and get someone lynched, however, inconsistencies occur.

Inconsistencies such as you changing your reasoning from "I think his strategy is anti-town" to "I'm gonna invoke meta".  You haven't mentioned this until now - you haven't even put it as a suggestion to me.  Why does it come up now when an outside player puts some pressure on you?  I reckon it's because you at last feel under pressure.

So, now you don't feel you can just lurk and push through a mislynch on me, tell me: why the sudden change of story?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2009, 02:39:49 pm »

A notice about the letters:

- If you send your letters seperately, make sure I am listed as one of the ones to receive it, along with the chosen person.  Don't worry about filling my PM with lots of letters ;).  If you fail to do so, then send me a PM afterwards with the names of who sent you letters.

- If you use BCC so you can send the letter to multiple people at once, I won't be able to see who received your letters.  It's fine, just make sure you follow up by sending me a PM with the names.

Btw, the letter MUST be sent to the person you claim to send, and I must know ALL of the people who received your letters.  Accidents can be fixed easily with more PMs so don't worry there.  If you try to fool around purposely though... PM cheating is one rule break I was never, EVER tolerate.
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:10 pm »

RandomNumberGenerator[2]: Akigagak, Leafsnail
Mephansteras[1]: Webadict
Sonearage[1]: Kashyyk
RedWarrior0[1]: Zai
Kashyyk[1]: Sonearage
Akigagak[2]: RedWarrior0, Mephansteras,
Leafsnail[2]: Mr.Person, RandomNumberGenerator
Mr.Person[1]: Cheddarius

Not Voting: Pandarsenic

Current Deadline: Wednesday, 9PM EST.

If I hear no objections, the deadline will extend to Monday.

I WILL hear requests to extend just one day.  However, I'll need people to specifically request that and for no one to object at all since that will mean ending on Christmas Eve.
I KNEW IT!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »

There is a possibility of it being a town fight, yes. However, Leafsnail is currently the scummiest player I see in the game; I played with him in Wizard Duel 3, and he acted very different there than he is acting here.  That's why I think he's scum.
Hehe.  You see, RNG, this is still by far the easiest way to find scum.  You've just exhibited possibly the biggest scumtell of all - changing your story when pressure is put on you.

Town have no need to cover their tracks.  After all, they actually are acting on their suspicions.  When someone's just randomly blitzing in order to try and get someone lynched, however, inconsistencies occur.

Inconsistencies such as you changing your reasoning from "I think his strategy is anti-town" to "I'm gonna invoke meta".  You haven't mentioned this until now - you haven't even put it as a suggestion to me.  Why does it come up now when an outside player puts some pressure on you?  I reckon it's because you at last feel under pressure.

So, now you don't feel you can just lurk and push through a mislynch on me, tell me: why the sudden change of story?
What? I don't see how I've changed my story at all. You mean the Wizard Duel thing? I was just giving basis for why I thought your behavior was off, which I did mention several times earlier:
To get where I'm coming from, just look at other games with a twist, such as Wizard Duel.
your previous answers have not satisfied me. Most of them have circumvented the whole problem, trying to direct it onto another path. You keep avoiding the topic. Something just seems wrong about you, and I'm going to keep pushing until I find out what it is.
All I see you doing is throwing baseless accusations at me, with no evidence to back them up. You still haven't explained how what I posted earlier was WIFOM, after all.

Also, how come you kept asking me to drop the argument, and as soon as I do, you immediately come up with another one? I think it is because you were on rough footing earlier and couldn't fight back; now that the topic has been dropped, you're trying to get me mislynched, scum.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2009, 03:37:44 pm »

Wait, Mr. Person actually posted twice and I missed it. My utmost apologies.

I will unvote Mr. Person.
I don't know who to vote anymore... Pandarsenic is lurking but he claims to be playing Monster Hunter, so I won't vote him yet.

Come on Pandarsenic, discuss this thing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 39