Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39

Author Topic: Christmas Mafia: End - final gift  (Read 59422 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Mafia: Day 1 - Christmas Eve
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2009, 10:50:17 pm »

Oh, yes, I see.

Well then, Mephansteras, my scummy friend, are you not a Mafia who wishes to be a cop? For I see, and I know that your name does indeed anagram to what you wish most to be, a PHANTASM SEER! And my mind's eye tells me that you are indeed a manta ray, that most vile of creatures (as shown by the ungodly electric manta boss in Super Mario Sunshine), one who does not provide for himself but instead filter-feeds, mooching on the necrotic debris of the ocean! For indeed I see that you have MANTA'S HERPES!

Therefore, my dear lad, tell me, why are you such things? Why do you wish to be a cop and why are you such a scumbag?

Hehe. Teach me to be helpful, huh? :P

And, no, I'm neither mafia nor wishing to be a cop.

You do get points for one of the more amusing random votes I've seen in a while.
You do know what these PHRASES MENT, right? That you belong in A HAMSTER'S PEN? Or does it mean that you are grinch and someone else is a pig, and you want A HAM'S PRESENT?

My God, your name has so many anagrams.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2009, 11:12:10 pm »

Oh, yes, I see.

Well then, Mephansteras, my scummy friend, are you not a Mafia who wishes to be a cop? For I see, and I know that your name does indeed anagram to what you wish most to be, a PHANTASM SEER! And my mind's eye tells me that you are indeed a manta ray, that most vile of creatures (as shown by the ungodly electric manta boss in Super Mario Sunshine), one who does not provide for himself but instead filter-feeds, mooching on the necrotic debris of the ocean! For indeed I see that you have MANTA'S HERPES!

Therefore, my dear lad, tell me, why are you such things? Why do you wish to be a cop and why are you such a scumbag?

Hehe. Teach me to be helpful, huh? :P

And, no, I'm neither mafia nor wishing to be a cop.

You do get points for one of the more amusing random votes I've seen in a while.
You do know what these PHRASES MENT, right? That you belong in A HAMSTER'S PEN? Or does it mean that you are grinch and someone else is a pig, and you want A HAM'S PRESENT?

My God, your name has so many anagrams.
What color is my tie?

Unvote

Leafsnail
, why are you so focused on finding the scrooge? He isn't the problem (at least not at the moment) - the grinches are. Moreover, it seems you are trying to break the system, and Dakarian said that isn't a good plan. You also keep trying to draw the helper out, which is favorable to the grinches because they don't even have to counter-claim, they just NK him.
Why are you against system failure?
Pardon? I don't understand what you're asking.
You're saying there's no reason to break the system. Why not?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 12:23:37 am »

Unvote

Leafsnail
, why are you so focused on finding the scrooge? He isn't the problem (at least not at the moment) - the grinches are. Moreover, it seems you are trying to break the system, and Dakarian said that isn't a good plan. You also keep trying to draw the helper out, which is favorable to the grinches because they don't even have to counter-claim, they just NK him.
Why are you against system failure?
Pardon? I don't understand what you're asking.
You're saying there's no reason to break the system. Why not?
Because when it comes down to it, this game is like any other mafia game, only with a slight twist (Scrooge). However, I don't feel that Scrooge is nearly as big of an issue as other people are making it out to be. Our ultimate goal should still be to find the scum, not trying to break the system using Scrooge's letter-limit. Note that there is no way we can get Scrooge to comply with any plans we make; he has his own will and can do what he wants.

To get where I'm coming from, just look at other games with a twist, such as Wizard Duel. It is far to easy for town to get wrapped up in the special game mechanics analyzing and overanalyzing them to try and break the game, and end up paying no attention to scumhunting or whatnot. I think that Leafsnail is trying to distract us, trying to redirect our attention to the Scrooge instead of looking where it actually matters.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 02:31:41 am »

Our ultimate goal should still be to find the scum, not trying to break the system using Scrooge's letter-limit.

Where did he say it should be? He said it would help us to know who Scrooge was, just in case.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2009, 05:57:39 am »

Actually RNG, I think you are the one trying to distract us.  I only mentioned Scrooge in passing, and the only reason he's been discussed so much is because you keep bringing him up and escalating a pointless meta based discussion.  After all, if you keep in this meta discussion, a skulking mislynch is pushed through on me.  Or perhaps you're so vehemently against finding the Scrooge because you are the Scrooge, or are hoping to get him on your team...

Now, RNG, I am going to ask you one more time: Do you have a better plan for what to do tonight?  Doing nothing is no better than having the Helper NK'd, and also risks having santa killed and the Grinches stealing presents.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2009, 10:05:06 am »

Our ultimate goal should still be to find the scum, not trying to break the system using Scrooge's letter-limit.

Where did he say it should be? He said it would help us to know who Scrooge was, just in case.
Not really. Then, Scrooge will just be killed, unless he messages the mafia first Night.

Is everyone just trying to rolefish?

Seriously, just SHUT UP AND PLAY! If you want to throw in suggestions for breaking the system, let's do that along side of the actual game play.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2009, 10:35:19 am »

Actually RNG, I think you are the one trying to distract us.  I only mentioned Scrooge in passing, and the only reason he's been discussed so much is because you keep bringing him up and escalating a pointless meta based discussion.  After all, if you keep in this meta discussion, a skulking mislynch is pushed through on me.  Or perhaps you're so vehemently against finding the Scrooge because you are the Scrooge, or are hoping to get him on your team...

Now, RNG, I am going to ask you one more time: Do you have a better plan for what to do tonight?  Doing nothing is no better than having the Helper NK'd, and also risks having santa killed and the Grinches stealing presents.
My plan? Rather simple: Analyze people, see who looks like scum and who looks like town, and send letters to those who look like town. I've already sent one out, anyway. Unfortunately I don't have a good enough read on anybody else to feel confident sending another letter to them.

As far as the distraction thing, yes and no. You didn't just "mention the scrooge in passing":

Also, there seems to be a strange kindof "assassin" element to this game, wherby one player seems to have almost all the power.
Sounds to me like you're talking about Scrooge here, even though you don't mention him directly.

I reckon each of us should send exactly ONE letter to the claimed helper.  The Scrooge, however, would be forced to send at least two letters.

If the second letter goes to a townie, the Scrooge becomes town.  If the second letter goes to a Grinch, Scrooge becomes an SK

Leafsnail, there's a glaring hole in your plan. You act as though the Grinches know who Scrooge is. They don't. Sure, if Scrooge becomes an sk he'd know one of the scum and would shoot em, but how would the Grinches know who's an sk or not? Well, they could just kill everyone who sends them a letter, just to make sure.
If we all send one letter, only Scrooge will send a second.  Hence if the scum received a letter they'd KNOW it's Scrooge.  And they'd know Scrooge's other letter is going to Santa's helper, so they know Scrooge is about to become an SK.  Similarly, from the fact he's become an SK, Scrooge would know the second person he sent a letter to is a Grinch.

e've either got a Scrooge as a Survivor (not a threat, since someone will know who it is) , a town scrooge, or a Scrooge who is Mafia and they'll know who each other are. Also means that no one is getting a special role from Santa, but that might be worth it.
No.  Scrooge will be forced to send a letter to the Helper or get lynched (the helper can tell us who hasn't sent them a letter) which means he can't become a survivor or a mafia member.  He could become an SK, but this would involve revealing himself as an SK to the mafia, so he'd probably try to become town.

Also means that no one is getting a special role from Santa, but that might be worth it.
To be honest, the conditions are already kinda favourable to us.  9 town should be able to beat 2 mafia, really, even without PRs.  Also, the damage caused from the Scrooge's receiving roles is a lot less than the damage caused by them stealing roles.
Ugh, that's a pain.  I still think there might be some way to trap Scrooge, though, as he's the only one forced to send 2 letters.

There. Four separate posts about Scrooge, all before I even started pressing you Leafsnail. How is that "in passing"? The majority of your posts are talking about him.

I have been pushing the whole Scrooge issue, because your previous answers have not satisfied me. Most of them have circumvented the whole problem, trying to direct it onto another path. You keep avoiding the topic. Something just seems wrong about you, and I'm going to keep pushing until I find out what it is.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2009, 10:40:09 am »

I need an extension, on the off-chance I'm not back from work by Day end.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2009, 11:48:09 am »

And RNG escalates the discussion again.

Sounds to me like you're talking about Scrooge here, even though you don't mention him directly.
Wrong.  I was talking about Santa, which would be obvious if you've ever played the Assassin variant.
To be honest, the conditions are already kinda favourable to us.  9 town should be able to beat 2 mafia, really, even without PRs.  Also, the damage caused from the Scrooge's receiving roles is a lot less than the damage caused by them stealing roles.
That was fairly obviously meant to say "Grinch" since Scrooge can't steal powers.

The others were in response to queries about it.

Extension, and I'd like you to stop escalating the Scrooge discussion.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2009, 11:50:12 am »

I request an extension as well.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:01 am »

Frig! I forgot to send my letters!

Guys, give me advice on who I should send them to! Are we doing a system or something to try to beat the Mafia?

Extendotron 9000 for sure, I needs moar time!

And Mephansteras, you still haven't explained why your name anagrams to such suspicious phrases.

And this:
You do know what these PHRASES MENT, right?
is pure genius. A thousand praises to RedWarrior0's name.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2009, 12:07:41 pm »

Um, we get tomorrow to send letters as well.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2009, 12:11:40 pm »

Ah. So we can send as many letters as we like per day? Thanks for the info.

Also, I still need some recommendation on what to do. I think if all mallies do the optimal strategy, we will have a much better chance of winning - so I think we should take a bit and try to bang some sort of strategy out instead of everyone just doing their thing and maybe messing up.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »

No, we get two days to send letters. The presents get delivered on night 2. Unless Santa gets killed somehow before then.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2009, 12:21:23 pm »

Well, I think I phrased my question poorly - can we send no letters today, and make up for it by sending letters tomorrow, or is there some limit to it? For example, if I want to send 7 letters, a 5-letter-per-day cap would necessitate me sending at least 2 letters today before I make up my mind. Is there such a cap?

Also, what is your advice on how many letters to send?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 39