Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39

Author Topic: Christmas Mafia: End - final gift  (Read 59407 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas Mafia: Day 1 - Christmas Eve
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2009, 12:26:53 pm »

No, this is Christmas eve, so we can only send letters today.

Also, Cheddar, it's easy enough to say we should get to scumhunting, but why aren't you doing any yourself?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009, 12:29:17 pm »

posting to watch this interesting game with a similar mechanic to mafia...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2009, 12:30:59 pm »

Akigagak said that we get tomorrow, too...

Also, I didn't say that we should scumhunt - though I do say we should, and I am in the process of scumhunting Meph right now. I said that we should decide how many letters to send and such as a group. I need that advice, because I have no idea how many to send. What do you think, Leaf?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2009, 12:34:40 pm »

And RNG escalates the discussion again.
Only because you keep trying to back out of it. Unlike you, I'm scumhunting.

Sounds to me like you're talking about Scrooge here, even though you don't mention him directly.
Wrong.  I was talking about Santa, which would be obvious if you've ever played the Assassin variant.
Alright. My bad. I still don't understand how Santa has all the power, but meh.
Extension, and I'd like you to stop escalating the Scrooge discussion.
Fine. I still think you're scum though, so unless you do something to prove otherwise (or someone else looks scummier) my vote stays.

Well, I think I phrased my question poorly - can we send no letters today, and make up for it by sending letters tomorrow, or is there some limit to it? For example, if I want to send 7 letters, a 5-letter-per-day cap would necessitate me sending at least 2 letters today before I make up my mind. Is there such a cap?

Also, what is your advice on how many letters to send?

To my knowledge, only Scrooge has a letter cap of 4 letters/day, with a minimum of 2 letters/day. Everyone else can send as many or as few as they want. Also, I believe that although the original plan was to have two days to send letters, as today is Christmas Eve we only have the rest of the day to send them. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dakarian, but everyone needs to get their letters out tonight.

As I mentioned earlier, I've only sent 1 letter out. Everyone else is either far too suspicious, or I'm not getting a good read on them and don't want to risk it. Depending on how things work out I might send more later.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »

What color is my tie?

It depends. How many plates are there in my cupboard?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2009, 12:37:14 pm »

And Mephansteras, you still haven't explained why your name anagrams to such suspicious phrases.
That's not scumhunting, that's bullshit.

Cheddar, you aren't putting any pressure on anyone.
If Santa dies, we're all vanilla townies.  Yes?
No, you're just asking me the same questions again and again, safe in the knowledge that noone else will bother to come down here and challenge this crap.

As I mentioned earlier, I've only sent 1 letter out. Everyone else is either far too suspicious, or I'm not getting a good read on them and don't want to risk it. Depending on how things work out I might send more later.
This is bullshit WIFOM.  You shouldn't say how many letters you're sending out, as this allows any grinches you've sent letters to to act accordingly.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2009, 12:41:42 pm »

That's not scumhunting, that's bullshit.

Cheddar, you aren't putting any pressure on anyone.
Yes, I freely admit that my accusation is baseless. But so is "XXXX, why are you scum?". That's what we're supposed to do, right? I don't really see anyone that I find suspicious, so I've decided to pick Meph randomly and accuse him.

I still need some advice on how many letters to send, guys! If everybody sends a different amount of letters, we will not be playing an optimal game! Clearly 7 of you are on the townie side (6? whatever), so you should be giving out that advice for the townies to win.
I myself have no idea how many letters to send. My guess would be a lot if you're a copwanter, perhaps? Because then you have a better chance of a great ability, and if the mafia steals, then it's not very useful to them.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:56 pm »

Oh, so you are a copwanter?

If you can't make your mine up, either spam them to everybody or to nobody.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2009, 12:52:34 pm »

If you can't make your mine up, either spam them to everybody or to nobody.
Really, really bad idea.  If you send them to everyone, that's basically guarenteeing that the grinches will steal it.  And since you've sent it to everyone, you'll have no idea who stole it.
I still need some advice on how many letters to send, guys! If everybody sends a different amount of letters, we will not be playing an optimal game! Clearly 7 of you are on the townie side (6? whatever), so you should be giving out that advice for the townies to win.
There are currently 9 town aligned players.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2009, 12:57:50 pm »

This game started on Christmas Eve.  As such, you only get one day to send your letters.

You are correct, btw, on how many letters everyone can send.

As far as what letters to send..well.. there's a few strategies I can think of but that's for you to figure out.  Consider it sort of a 'reverse scumhunt'.

Sidenote: there are 12 players in all.  7 townies, 1 santa, 1 helper, 2 scum, and 1 Scrooge.

As for the extension.. I can grant it with that many but know that if I do it'll be Monday for the next deadline, with Christmas and the weekend.  If that's ok with you guys then it will be done.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:18 pm »

If Santa dies, we're all vanilla townies.  Yes?
Only if he dies before tomorrow. Yes, that would be bad, but then mafia would be normal too.. then again, it wouldn't matter, since most of the roles are only useful is somebody else had roles.
No, you're just asking me the same questions again and again, safe in the knowledge that noone else will bother to come down here and challenge this crap.
Because you don't answer the questions. At least, you didn't until very recently, after I pressured you. Though I don't understand how I'm "safe in the knowledge that noone else will challenge this crap". Any safer than you, anyway.
This is bullshit WIFOM.  You shouldn't say how many letters you're sending out, as this allows any grinches you've sent letters to to act accordingly.
WIFOM? How? I really don't see it. Though you may be right about it being a mistake saying how many letters I sent out... though I don't think it's that big a deal, because I can always send more later, and if the grinches did get my letter, then they would have known I sent at least 1 anyway.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »

To answer your question, Cheddarius, my name has so many anagrams because it is a long name with many common letters in it.

At this point, though, we should start focusing more on how people are reacting to thing and we should prod anyone who has been lurking so far.

FOS on Leafsnail and RandomNumberGenerator. Both have been acting a bit suspiciously, but I'm not convinced this isn't just a town fight so far.

Akigagak, why are you fishing for Cheddarius' role?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2009, 01:04:35 pm »

I didn't say I was. I was giving the only strategy that occured to me. If you are a copwanter, you might want to send some more letters, because the reward is good and the risk is small. If you are a docwanter... maybe the same, because doctors protect people from Mafia so it's useless to the Mafia, right? No, a doc Mafia could protect from Vigilantes. Still, it would be more effective for a townie, I think, since there's probably only one Vigilante (there is probably one role that is doubled up, but Vigilante only has a 1/7 chance of being it). I think Bus Drivers should be more cautious in letter sending, because confusion is very powerful for the Mafia if they can steal it, but not so great for town, because town might not even know what's going on. Same with Redirecter. Vig is probably better being cautious, because Vig is powerful for Mafia who know who to kill, and sucky for town who don't.

Therefore, my advice is: Cop, Rolecop, Doc: be generous with letters.
Vig, Bus, Redirect: be more cautious with your letters.
I don't know about roleblocker, though. Could someone give out some advice for that/confirm my advice here?

Oh, and like leaf said, all letters is probably a very bad idea. No letters might be overcautious, but I don't know. I'm thinking maybe send 5/6 letters if you're generous type, 2 to 4 if you're cautious? I need to look at the numbers a bit more.

3 new replies but I will post anyway.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2009, 01:07:53 pm »

Akigagak, why are you fishing for Cheddarius' role?
I didn't say I was. I was giving the only strategy that occured to me.

I know, it was a joke.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2009, 01:09:56 pm »

Okay, as Meph seems to be fine and normal, I will unvote Mephansteras and once again set my sights on Mr. Person. Why are you lurking, sir?

Dak, you said you could think of a few strategies: Do you mean strategies for the entire town - a combination of numbers of letter-sends which ends up with a conclusion that is good for town? Or do you mean strategies for individuals - e.g. the ones I posted?

Akigagak, I did not find your joke very amusing, but to each his own, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 39