Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which kind of graphics do you use ?

Extended ASCII (Original)
Tilesets (Mayday DFG for instance)
Other (Custom ASCII tiles, etc.)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Graphics : The duel.  (Read 15959 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics : The duel.
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2010, 07:19:22 pm »

ASCII for life! But there is something about the ACII graphics that make it more...Fun! than the graphics sets.
Also the graphic sets seem to sap some of the immersion.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2010, 12:06:30 pm »

I started on ASCII.  Then I tried out the graphics pack, but since it used graphics for symbols in the menus and such, it became unplayable.  I wanted to see [MENU] and not shirtMENU].  I'd probably use some sort of graphics pack if that was fixed.  With too many symbols being interchangable and hardcoded, I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon.  Plus I don't even see the ASCII anymore.  I see the chair, statues, and tables now.  Of course mountain goats sometimes cause me to panic and I wondered why humans were ambushing me (elves on Unicorns).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Bacu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:33 pm »

a square variant of ASCII

because I'm hardcore like that.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »

I am a fan of Plac1d's work. His graphics pack covers 95% of all vanilla creatures (only ocean critters need to be covered) and his matching tileset makes only minor adjustments to the basic ASCII appearance.

Basically, I feel like the Mayday tileset conflicts with Toady's choices for what tile should represent what object, but Plac1d's tileset matches Toady's original intent much better. Plus the pixel art in Plac1d's work is very impressive. It has a look that reminds me of Colonization or CivII.

Seriously. Check it: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Plac1d

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
Awesome Graphic Set - IMO
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2010, 11:36:14 pm »

IMO all graphic sets and ascii pales in comparison to Biasams 24x24 tileset

People seriously think non ascii sets are unclean? This is about 10x cleaner than anything out there. Everything is well-defined. It also comes with a nice colour scheme that's easy on the eyes.

The above graphics set is OK, but looks packed together and messy to my eyes.
Meh.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2010, 12:26:50 am »

Yes, but that set only runs in 40d16. Plus the whole thing's a matter of opinion, in this case anyway.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2010, 12:30:39 am »

I use mayday because that's what I learned with and I'm accustomed to it.

I can recognize ASCII pretty well though.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2010, 12:45:31 am »

You can make a 24x24 A.S.C.I.I. set and it would be pretty clean too, but you don't have to...

What do transparent tiles do for you anyway?

I use the 8x8 set that I posted earlier and pump the resolution up to 1024x768 on an old, probably about 16 inch, CRT monitor and find it perfectly clear.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 01:12:17 am »

I use graphics sets because they look nicer than ASCII.
I could certainly learn the ASCII set if I wanted to, but the same goes for Chinese or Sanskrit and the truth is, I have about as much reason to do either one. When I dream up a new critter or race, or extract one from someone elses mod, I just make a graphic for them if I cant find one somewhere. Though I think now I have all the 16x16 sets that have been released on the forum... 18 civs in my game makes it nice, but I'm getting off track.

For me it boils down to: Why would I want my game to look worse, when I could just as easily have it look better?
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2010, 04:43:09 am »

For me it boils down to: Why would I want my game to look worse, when I could just as easily have it look better?

Exactly what I ask myself, people wanting the game to get finished first before graphics is understandable but here I saw someone saying (s)he would not play DF if it wasn't for ASCII and why people would want ASCII over graphics is beyond me.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:25 am »

because to some people ASCII just looks better. I am not saying that I would stop playing if I had to use , for example, mayday's pack, but surely I would enjoy the game much less because to me it looks much worse. All the graphic tilesets I have seen are very heavy on my eyes, while ASCII is much cleaner.
just a matter f opinion, some people really like ASCII, and for them it doesn't make game worse but rather better.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »

All the graphic tilesets I have seen are very heavy on my eyes

I can certainly understand that, the mayday set that uses background transparencies makes my eyes ache so I have to use the one without.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2010, 01:11:05 pm »

I don't see a "mayday is very heavy" as an argument. Mayday's tileset is one of hundreds so if you can't find a set which you like you're just too lazy :). Curses tiles are for those who want to jump in the game quick, and it's ok.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:22 pm »

Well if you are going to tell people to find and download/create a set that works for them then you need a default. And giving up on graphics makes it more accepting of different setups and easier to identify different entities on the screen. You can include a few tilesets and open up a dialogue from the configuration and the first time the game is run with examples of different sets and the option to apply your choice of them.

D.F. is tile-based, A.S.C.I.I. is better for identifying individual tiles. If you 'get' A.S.C.I.I. then it will be easier to work with. If you don't 'get' it(which really doesn't reflect badly on someone) or want to see a picture of a fort when you play the game, then you can make the sacrifice and use a graphical set...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2010, 06:39:43 am »

if you can't find a set which you like you're just too lazy
I found a tileset I like, it is the default one. Is it really so hard to accept I just LIKE it? not silently accept, I LIKE it.
I understand that there are many different tilesets to download, I like some more than other, but I haven't seen one yet who makes me want to change.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10