Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Beer-Ship of Planets - Community Starship  (Read 6879 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
The Beer-Ship of Planets - Community Starship
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:01:37 am »

The small crowd of dwarves scarcely filled the crumbling audience chamber of Labordrums. Among them were dwarves from every corner of the Lance of Wringing, which was to say, not many. The assembled crowd represented the entirety of their once-proud race, now numbering just under two hundred – a crumbling race, in a crumbling fortress, in a crumbling world.

The crowd grew silent, and all eyes turned to Queen Ustuth Painttrammeled, who now mounted the wobbling podium. Pausing a moment to steady herself, she spoke.

“People of the Lance of Wringing… nay, people of dwarvenkind, our time on this world grows short. We have long known that this world is coming to an end. We cannot know how, or why, only that it is coming, and that, I am saddened to say, we are powerless to stop it. My husband – Sodel bless his soul – long feared, as I am sure do all of you, that this would mean the end for our race. Take heart, my brothers and sisters, for there is hope. For though my husband feared the end – Sodel bless his soul – he also envisioned a plan to escape it. I shall leave it to Master Kandor to explain.”

Another dwarf stepped forward. This one was wearing the red garb of an engineer, a color that blended almost perfectly with the vibrant hue of his beard. He mounted the podium, sending it into another fit of swaying. He grabbed the edges of the podium and flung his weight hard to the left. It let out a loud creak, and swayed no more.

“Yes, thank you your Highness. Well, as our philosophers have long known, many other worlds exist beyond our own. These are separated by a vast expanse of emptiness, an expanse I like to refer to simply as ‘space’. Now, before he passed, King Iden – Sodel bless his soul – developed a method by which we dwarves would be able to travel through space to another, better world. He proposed the construction of a large ship, propelled through space by a jet of fuel. The first phase of this project, the fuel, has already been procured. It's something you are all quite familiar with. As the old adage goes, ‘the finest'… well, why don’t you see for yourself? Urist, if you would please demonstrate?”

A third dwarf came forward, wearing heavy armor and a metalsmith’s mask over his face, followed by two more carrying a large cask that was instantly recognizable to all present: Dwarven ale, and of a particularly high quality, at that. They laid the cask on its end and stood back, as Urist cautiously approached the seemingly innocuous beverage. He turned the knob on the spigot, a tiny dribble of amber liquid flowing out onto the lid. Urist leaned in close to the tiny stream of booze, lifted his mask just enough to cup his hands over his mouth, took a deep breath, and bellowed,

SHIIIIIT!

As soon as he had done this, he turned and dove to the floor, just as a jet of flame erupted from the top of the barrel, hurling the iron spigot straight up and embedding it into the ceiling. Dwarves dodged left and right to avoid the barrel as it ricocheted about the room, before it finally slammed headlong into the already decrepit podium, toppling it and sending the Queen and engineer plummeting all of three feet to the floor. When the dust had settled, Queen Ustuth stood, and spoke.

“Ah, yes, Thank you, Master Kandor, for that, uh, ‘demonstration’. Now, what do you have planned for phase two?”

“I have chosen a suitably remote location,” he answered, withdrawing a large roll of parchment from his beard, “at which to begin construction of our vessel, Ucatzuglar Nitom, ‘The Beer-Ship of Planets’ ” He held up the map for all to see:

“Tomorrow morning, a preliminary build team, consisting of myself and six others, shall depart for the site to make an assessment and lay groundwork. Six of you. Now, do I have any volunteers?”

(I genned a ‘smaller’ size world in which all races are reduced to about a hundred or so each. I figured, ‘Hey, there’s a new version coming up soon, why not make one last fort to wrap it all up?’ Post your dwarf’s name, skills, and any supplies you want.)

Let’s send this version out with a bang.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Beer-Ship of Planets - Community Starship
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:40:27 am »

I'll take a miner, preferably female. Doom the miner! I can't wait to see where this goes! (And I definitely can't wait to see it blast off!)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:46:59 am »

Cook/Brewer, male if possible. I will be happy as long as I will get Dwarven Rum/Sugar/Syrup, thank you.

DSS Beer-Ship of Planets will be made from magma-worked steel, yes?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:49:49 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:55:09 am »

Chief engineer Granif Dodman

Engineer/brewer and whatever else needs doing.

I'll take a couple of caskets of dwarven ale and some mechanisams.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:25 am »

Red shirt engineer Ieb Meddlesome.
Only the most dangerous of tasks for me, please.
Maybe a bit of Blacksmithing aside mechanic skills, because hey, you are going to need metal for this thing, amirite?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 05:29:41 am »

What features do we have on the map? I think we should fill up a tank with magma! After all, we're going to need magma in space, aren't we?
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:09:42 am »

What features do we have on the map? I think we should fill up a tank with magma! After all, we're going to need magma in space, aren't we?

I ish cook and I ish read from da map:

-It has magma
-It has Pit
-It has UG river.

Or I ish wrong :P

EDIT: Gah, but... flux! The layers don't have any flux! No steel spaceships ._.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:57 am »

I ish cook and I ish read from da map:

-It has magma
-It has Pit
-It has UG river.

Or I ish wrong :P

EDIT: Gah, but... flux! The layers don't have any flux! No steel spaceships ._.
Then we should build it out of double-thick iron, just to make up for it! Sure, it will probably weigh more than is possible to lift off the ground, but we're DWARVES. We'll make this HAPPEN, people.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:04:57 am »

With enough booze, everything is possible.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 07:21:51 am »

With enough booze, everything is possible.

I think this ship should menaces with spikes. Possibly give it magma powered weaponry! When I tried to make a mecha (that sorta failed), I gave it magma cannons. The only problem was that the magma wouldn't fill the magma tanks properly >w<

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 08:45:35 am »

This is an AWESOMELY made dwarven ship, it menaces with spikes of DWAVENESS, it has rings made from DWAVEN PHYSICS
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:50 am »

This is an AWESOMELY made dwarven ship, it menaces with spikes of DWAVENESS, it has rings made from DWAVEN PHYSICS
Don't forget encrusted with rocket booze and encircled with bands of magma.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »

I'll be Spartan 117, male axedwarf, carpenter, and woodcutter.

If I survive 'till completion of the ship, I'll be head of security.

Also, I like Dwarven wine and plump helmet stew/roasts. I can settle for raw plump helmets or biscuits if I must though. And if we could bring a breeding pair of wolves/dogs/both with us into the stars, that'd be great.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:18:58 pm »

I will take a crossbowdwarf with some shield skill!  His name should be Legon, male.  He should also get some hybrid training with hammer use at some point, but crossbows whenever there's fighting or once he's above a reasonable skill in hammer use.

This project cannot afford to fail, after all - it will need a military to protect it as it develops, and to defend the colony on the new world.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »

I WIL TAKE MASON SOAPMAKER.

SO I SHALL  MAKE AN EVERLASTING MONUMENT TO ALL THAT WE LEAVE BEHIND OUT OF SOAP.

I SHALL BUILD A MONUMENT, SO SOAPY AND TALL, SO GRAND, THAT OUR QUEEN SHALL FALL TO HER KNEES, CRYING FOR ALL SHE IS WORTH AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ITS SOAPY GLORY, AND THUS SHALL THE HEAVENS WEEP, AND IT SHALL PROVE INEFFECTUAL, FOR MY MONUMENT SHALL SURPASS ALL HEAVENLY BODIES!

I ALSO HOPE THAT THERE IS A BIT OF SAND.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 08:00:24 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6