Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: flat embark area?  (Read 5772 times)

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
flat embark area?
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:22:42 am »

It seems to me, after reading post after post of world seeds and embark spots, that people seem to really like having large cliffs and z levels.  I find that it bugs the hell out of me.  Finding magma, HFS, rivers, and any of the usual things that people want when embarking is rather easy for me, but the real problem is finding a spot that is actually flat, or atleast close to it.  My question is is there anyone else like me, who would rather embark on a nice flat area with all the usual features, and if so, does anyone have any world seeds to share for such a thing?  I know i long for the day when there is some sort of map editor where you can place features exactly where you want them so finding a spot to embark on doesn't take the 2-3 hours that it does now, atleast for me.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: flat embark area?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:51:50 am »

I sorta like flat embark areas.

Depends on the mood im in.

As long as it has a little 1z level above part on the flat level im set.

What i mean is...

. . . .===== . . . .
. . .======  . . . .
. . . . .===== . . .

= is wall
. is flat lands.

As long as there is a bit of a 1zl upland its perfect for me.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:56:12 am »

Trouble is HFS, Cave Rivers/Pools and Pits/Chasams are features you only find in mountain regions and these tend not to be very flat.

Normal Rivers and Magma should be revlatively easy to find in flat areas, just tell the finder to look for a low height area and you'll probably get a forest / river / magma combo pretty quickly.

Glacier maps tend to be flat too which are Fun. My personal preference would be a mostly Glacier map with just enough mountain squares for the underground features.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

BKWM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:02 am »

You can get your magma features by upping the minumum volcanism sky high and then killing the mininum required tiles for low-mid-high volcanism. Underground rivers, Underground pools, Chasms, Bottomless Pits, and Clowns spawn one per mountain tile. Be warned high volcanism kills sedimentary stone layers which is where most of your non-goblinite iron ore is, also killing all non-marble flux. So while it should be technically possible to get a non-glacier area with all of that to be flat, good luck, and tell me if you find it.

If all you want is a flat area, and don't care about those other features, get away from the mountains, tab over to the relative elevation screen, and look for 0's.

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:31:37 am »

Shape the land to your needs.
Dwarves can move mountains!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 05:54:29 am »

But can mountains move dwarves?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:01:50 am »

Depends how violently you collapse them :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 07:15:57 am »

Depending on the mountain's innards, it can move dwarves to tears and/or madness.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:01:00 am »

Boom.

Yea, I'm a plainsdwarf. HFS and tower cap farms never moved me. Nice, 1 embark tile forts, on the other hand...
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:47 am »

I prefer flat embark areas.

That`s because i`m one of those "aboveground city builders". And most of the mountainous areas are not really worth it- Often you won`t have soil near your intended starting position and too many cliffs annoy the crap out of me.

However; I don`t mind playing on an interesting mountainous map. Dwarf heaven for example.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:18:52 am »

Be warned high volcanism kills sedimentary stone layers which is where most of your non-goblinite iron ore is, also killing all non-marble flux.

It also kills bauxite, your only source of magma-safe mechanisms (unless you're using the molten stones mod or are crazy enough to make mechanisms out of raw adamantine).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:32 am »

You can get almost-flat embark regions with mountain features. "Mountain" biomes are any areas with an absolute elevation of 300 or above. So if you set your elevation ranges to, say, 285-301, and then reduce the elevation variance, you can get lots of very small, very flat "mountains". This has the added benefit of really packing the mountain features in together, like this:

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 11:58:09 am »

Thunderbreakfasts...
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:31:36 pm »

The good stuff bieng limited only to mountains will be remedied in the next version, not to mention the removal of the 15 z-levels from the highest elevation limit. So we will be seeing more plains forts.

I prefer having some flat area available myself.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 02:10:45 pm »

Flat fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6594-snaketributes

I built up from flat ground to construct a very dwarven fortress, complete with magma, water, pumps, and randomly placed levers.
Pages: [1] 2 3