Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The Axe of Impaling (succesion game)  (Read 16203 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: The Axe of Impaling (succesion game)
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

Any other people want to take a turn here?

If not, I'll just go again.

Seems BKWM has been busy or forgot about this succession game. I'm afraid we may have to roll back to the last save.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

BKWM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 10:19:20 am »

I'm working on it don't skip me. I'm almost through with autumn.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 10:55:29 am »

Ah, I thought you forgot about this.

Well, don't worry, you have a day or two left to play.  :)
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 11:33:27 am »

2 things.

BKWM's last day is today. How about we extend it a day or two since there aren't any other players in the list?

Anybody else want to join in? If not, I'll play again.

BKWM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 03:12:13 pm »

My turn is completed.
The save is here.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1672
Yeah you should probably just go again addictgamer.
I named a guy after me. If it doesn't interfere greatly with your plans, please try not to kill me.
Here is my turn report, spoilered for length.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I will be unavailable the week before and after christmas, so just skip me if my next turn doesn't come up until then.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:30:14 pm by BKWM »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 02:12:36 am »

Ya...I'll get to work on it tomorrow hopefully.

And, I like making maze forts...

No, It doesn't bother me you named a dwarf.

Too bad we had such great losses.

I hope the economy is going good...And I want to build a mega-trap in my turn...Automatic flooding hallways that trap enemies in them by raising bridges...

Nobody wants to sign up for a turn?
If not, I will take my turn. Or...You could sign up after me, if not before me.

(Yes, I do overuse ...)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 04:30:44 am »

I'll take a turn... let me get the game set up on my end, mods and all.

It'll be the first time I've used a graphics mod, but I'll go ahead with it for the sake of screenshot consistency.

Hmm... as I understand it, the game replaces the objects in the data folders with data from the raw folders when you generate the world, and that is what gets used. Do I need to generate a world after downloading the raw files, or does the game actually use the raws?

...Well, I loaded the game okay; I guess that means it works. If I don't hear from you soon, I'll go ahead and start playing; if you start another turn without checking the thread again you can pick the year you like better.

Damn, but this fort is confusing. What's with the daisy-shaped caverns someone dug out several z-levels down? And no one mentioned hitting adamantine...?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:29:23 am by Kinoko_Otoko »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 12:20:53 pm »

Sure, take your turn.

As for adamite, ya...I was startled a bit about that. And how I started the fort right on top of adamite but a few levels beneath. I get all the bad luck. (jk)
I guess paragith forgot to mention it.

As for the layout, I didn't make it too twisted in my turn...
Well, I guess this will go down as the fort of mazes. Intruders and migrants alike beware.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 03:56:38 pm »

Aright... I'm gonna have fun with this though. I'm probably going to take some inspiration from StarkRavingMad's character in Boatmurdered, and probably that guy who re-booted it in a new thread, so be warned.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:26:16 pm by Kinoko_Otoko »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »

Sounds like it will make for a lot of fun.  ;D

Just try to keep the fort alive, ok? I want to add in a dungeon after the first 20 years or so.
Like I'm doing in my current fort, although I had to savescum a bit after I noticed glitches...

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »

Alright, I have a question. I was going to order up some training weapons made, but I don't see the option in the smithy. Are the mods listed in the OP still accurate?

Also, I don't get the term savescumming. I abuse my save files all the time, and it never made me feel scummy. I will also be abusing the everliving daylights out of the save system for this game, unless I feel it's more amusing to keep going (for instance, I need to test those three levers I see on the top floor of the fort...)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 12:24:57 am »

1. Yes, they're accurate. I made a test fort to test everything. Only thing I couldn't and still can't figure out is runes.
Maybe download the raw I provided...

2. _=_
Try using the notes thing, as I have added in notes on the one lever that was built during my reign.
And, I don't remember adding savescumming against the rules. I mostly don't want it happening because it can reduce fun during the story if you make a mistake. But if you're testing stuff...

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 12:52:55 am »

Oh, I didn't really think it was against the rules per se, was just commenting on the language...

And I did use the raws folder you provided or I couldn't even play. I can't find any sign of training weapons tho.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 03:27:55 am »

Hmm...I'll take a look at this sometime over the weekend, If my classes allow me >:(

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 04:17:04 pm »

I must confess, I haven't done much with the fortress. After starting I realized that I usually have some overarching plan for my fort, but with Ticktorch I just don't have one.

I think I'll seal everyone inside while starting them on the construction of a tower into the sky, for storage space... A tower jutting out from the side of the mountain, of course.

Note that by 'seal everyone inside' I mean 'use a 1x3 tile no-traffic zone to keep them from wandering outside'. I'm not actually going to seal the fortress.

Incidentally, if one of you had had just two guys from your first migration wave sparring the whole time, their stats would already be maxed out and they could single-handedly take on multiple ambushes...

Among many strange managerial behaviors, however, I'm only going to complain about one: why, oh why, did one of you leave every tree in the top half of the map over several z-levels marked to be cut down? Just... Why? It took me about a half an hour to find all the pre-existing tree designations so I could get the damn woodcutter to remove one tree that was in my way. Every time I cleared a swath of designations, he took off in some new direction across the map...

Edit: Ok, now my main complaint is just that dwarves are suicidally retarded. I've never really dealt with ambushes before without having two superdwarves there to mangle them. I can kind of see how it's easy to lose a lot of dwarves...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:47:35 pm by Kinoko_Otoko »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9