Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: The Axe of Impaling (succesion game)  (Read 16198 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: The Axe of Impaling (succesion game)
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:19 pm »

No one else wants to go anyway...And you're active and trying...

I guess this once I can let you go on for another 7 days from now.
But remember, you still have only one year in-game.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2009, 10:21:21 pm »

Well, yesterday was my last day of school, so I should be able to get it done now. Summer's almost over... I've started doing some stuff with the Adamantine. The Queen is tantruming, but believe it or not I've almost got her room up to par... I had to use a pair of adamantine statues and it jumped from modest to grand/opulent.

If she destroys one of those statues in a tantrum, though, she's going to have an unfortunate accident.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2009, 02:38:10 am »

Ok, that's good.

I also want to build a noble's deathtrap palace.

Just as well this is taking a long time, the whole week I was very busy.
Just starting tomorrow I will not be so busy...And will be able to play my turn after you finish yours.

Goodluck.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2009, 01:23:45 am »

I'm sorry for not getting with it. School was over last thursday, but that sunday was the 'family' Christmas, and I've had some kind of family or friends over every day this week. I'll tag this thread so I get an email notification when it's updated; just say so if you want me to upload the save as-is, and you can make up some story about my character doing unspeakable things to the adamantine and being lynched.

I'm actually having a nephew stay at my house until the end of next week, but that doesn't necessarily preclude my finishing a turn...

I would have surrendered my turn a long time ago if this game was getting any attention, incidentally >_>

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2009, 10:39:43 am »

Ya...

Since no one else is wanting to play anyway, I give you till this coming Wednesday.
Although it's the last I let you go extra...

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2009, 11:32:13 am »

Mind if I take a go?
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2009, 05:30:06 pm »

Oh damn, sure. I'll go ahead and try to finish up...

Summer
   Well, it's the beginning of Autumn now, and I'm in a good mood again, so I suppose I'll write down a bit of what's been happening. The summer turned out to be quite a bit more boring than the spring, thank Nekol. I forgot to mention the 'big project' I ordered started in the spring. With food supplies to last several years I figured the dwarves needed something to occupy them, and seeing as they mostly have no useful skills I decided they could practice a little simple masonry. I took everyone who was milling about with nothin' to do, and I gathered'em up and told'em, 'You're not peasants anymore. Or milkers or cheesemakers or whatnot. You're the Civilian Logistics Corp. Your job's now to make sure everything goes where it's needed, and that everythin' gets built when it needs buildin'!'
   I ordered the construction of a tower protruding from the side of the mountain, up into the sky, from the many tonnes of stone littering the halls. The dwarves displayed more sense than I expected at this point, asking me why in the depths would a dwarf want a tower into the sky? So I says to them, 'The stone, lads! The stone! Where does it go!?' They looked at each other in confusion, and before they could realize I was talking out o' my ass I continued: 'It's the age-old miner's dilemma! The more space you carve out, the more stone you have to store! So we won't carve rooms to put the rock in, we'll use the rock to build a hollow tower to store it in!'
   Well that 'miner's dilemma' concept must have been more real than I thought - that is to say, I thought I was makin' it up - because I'll be carped if they didn't all look at each other, then back to me, and then let up a great cheer as if I'd had the grandest idea they'd ever heard! I swear, these dwarves are the stupide
   Hmm, maybe I shouldn't go on about that in writin'. Come to think of it, it likely won't go well for me if anyone finds this journal as it is. Oh well; I'll worry about that later...
   Ah, so I was talkin' about the summer! Well, the 'great stone tower' project is progressin' well, with several floors already finished. And we now have another 'priceless artifact' in the fort; one of the civlogs started gibbering on about 'Angenshethel', sayin' 'Angenshethel, it must exist!!' I about ordered him thrown in prison before he started stabbin' people in the face - I've heard stories, you see - but this turned out not to be that kind o' thing. He just hunkered down in a leatherworks and started workin' on somethin', and eventually came out of a daze like he didn't know wher he was, holdin' this buckler made of giant scorpion armor. Claims he doesn't even remember makin' the blasted thing!
   Speakin' of  these 'legendary crafts', the carp-lovin' Mayor did somethin' similar last spring, that I forgot to mention; made some kind of flute. At the time I was more worried about the rivers of blood flowin' in front of the fortress.
   Anyway, I'm in a good mood again because some during the summer I figured out how to work the Metal. See, it turns out it aren't like most metals that you can just smelt from their ore. You have to extract 'strands' of the Adamantine from its native rock, and them smelt them into tiny wafers. What this means is that Adamantine  is not only superior to any other metal, it runs out faster than any other metal! Thankfully the so-called 'dungeon master' knew something about it, or I might still be puzzling over it. I've got the stuff processing now.
   Another thing I learned is I'm the only dwarf here with any weaponsmithing experience, so it looks like I'll be forging my own weapons from the Metal.
   I wouldn't have it any other way.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:00:25 pm by Kinoko_Otoko »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2009, 12:44:30 am »

Ok, you go next then...

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2009, 07:19:08 am »

Thanks. Good logs, Kinoko :)
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2009, 09:10:57 pm »

It's wednsday today, time's up...

Tomorrow, post the save. Gumball can decide to rollback or finish your turn and do his if you didn't finish yours.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26:27 pm »

On this wall is a masterful engraving by Bomrek Teshkadzon of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf and dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the breaching of the hateful Depths by the mad dwarf Kinotoko Urdimbomrek with a self-forged Adamantine pick and the subsequent panicked walling up of the breach by the other dwarves of Ticktorch.

(Note that these are *actual* spoilers and not just collapsible images)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1727

Here's the save. I feel pretty bad about taking so long to finish it, and I only got to the beginning of Autumn. But I didn't lose any of the dwarves that were there when I started my turn (only most of the next immigrant wave, hehe) and I'm leaving you with 5 legendary champion wrestlers, which you can arm with real weapons and armor through the military screen (m key). I actually put 6 guys in the squad, but for some reason I don't understand one of them has apparently never sparred and is still a recruit.

Also, as you might have deduced, I sacrificed my character in a story-consistent manner to find the HFS, as a sort of penance. I walled him up before he struck the chamber so no one else was hurt, and now you can mine around it. The idea is that he became obsessed with the Adamantine, forged himself a pick out of it and tried to mine the rest of it out himself, while everyone watched in horror and some of them had the sense to wall him in before he killed everyone.

Oh, and there was an ambush at the same time that is still ongoing (I think) but the caravan also arrived at the same time and the merchant guards are taking care of it handily in a satisfyingly violent manner (the goblins tried to sneak in through the top of the tower project, so they're now flying off of it in several directions).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:34:19 am by Kinoko_Otoko »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2009, 01:51:39 am »

Ok...

Untill gumball plays, I'm going to try to fix my pc.

It screwed, bootloader disappeared and I had to install GAG.

Did that, and vista and linux wouldn't boot. SO I booted xp and burned a vista recovery tool. Fixed vista...
Now trying to get linux working.

I get frequent crashes and lock-ups.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2010, 10:33:28 am »

Thanks, I'll download the save later today. Do ya want another dwarf named after you, Kinoko?

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »

Nah, I'm not immortal. Addict isn't there either...

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2010, 04:12:37 pm »

Hmm...

Maybe so, but neither are the dwarfs. Why don't you claim another one and see how he/she is going to die.

I'll claim a dwarf...Give me an engineer. If we have none, Assign one.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9