Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 107973 times)

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth, 2.0!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 06:39:15 am »

If you find yourself sad and lonely in the unforgiving world of Haven and Hearth, you may try the Dwarven chat channel at URL webchat.quakenet.org, channel DFHH. This channel may be abit quiet at the present, so if you are still cold and homeless, you may send me a PM on the HnH forum, to username Gauteamus, explaining your situation.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 06:44:08 am »

How annoying is the grind for skills in this game?

I played wyrm for a while helping out some friends build an island but got bored with not being able to do a lot of the stuff without spending a long time grinding skills. People have compared wyrm with h&h before so I wondered if anyone who has played both can give me some comparison :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 07:01:20 am »

2-3 weeks ago I registered two times, even made new mail. Its always says incorrect loginpass and never sent me verification mails.
Not that i still have interest in playing it... just curious what's wrong with their site.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 09:06:10 am »

How annoying is the grind for skills in this game?

I played wyrm for a while helping out some friends build an island but got bored with not being able to do a lot of the stuff without spending a long time grinding skills. People have compared wyrm with h&h before so I wondered if anyone who has played both can give me some comparison :)

The beginning is the worst. You have to debranch trees thousand times over, tidily organize them in piles and light 'em, because that's close to the only thing you can do. But, after you've acquired the basic skills - farming, lumberjacking, carpentry, stuff like that - you can pretty much build your stuff AND gain LP to invest in new stuff. The cool thing about the LP system is that you can raise any skill with the LP gained from any skill. And, at full change & full peaceful, the LP come rolling in. It takes a while to get there, but, totally worth it.

It is, of course, best if you join a (small) village or something, simply makes stuff easier. I wish I could, but I don't wanna move from my spot - there's a cave, good qual soil, grassland, okay clay in the victinity, a hi-q water lake in reasonable distance, shitloads of trees, a river and all that. So it would be best if there were three other insane people... I've got a RL friend near it, and I've got every single skill (including black skills, but at the expense of attributes :/ ), so I could erect an idol and rule with an iron fist... um... yea...

If people are interested, I'd ferry them from the spawn point. So, yeah, officially hiring!

/e: I'm not sure on how to get the bear teeth though. Hunting bears is a little... dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:13:15 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 10:20:07 am »

Hey errol, mind showing me where you live? Haven't been on in a LOOONG time and cant find an updated map.

EDIT: Oh, and I say we vote for the Bay 12 theme song in H&H.
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfVQV-klZo
Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NW29q6C4Do&feature=related

I figure since now that there's boats we need a piratey theme.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:27:10 am by Labs »
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 02:18:29 pm »

There's actually nine supergrids in a quadratic fashion. Essentially, one supergrid equals the size of hhe previous map. The enclosed map is only the one of the central supergrid, everything else has to be mapped by the player skill cartography.

http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=6075

A boat is pretty much a requirement. (Reqs wheelmaking, oddly. And a lot of boards. I think it was fourty.) Drive to the highest point of the river and haul your boat towards north until you find another river. Follow it to the east, and you will find it diverges in a grassland/bog thingy. Follow the lowest part, and you will see my home. Feel free to get yourself a cabin and stuff.

Quick rundown of stuff that has been added since boats:

Jewelry. Windcatching.  Decaying stenchs. BGM. Cupboards. (8x8 storage that can't be lifted when filled and decays fastly.) Chairs. Pumpkins. Some more recipes. Scythes. An actual fishing system. Buildable Inn of Brodgar (as stone mansion, large but very expensive). Torchposts. A new kin system. Wardrobes. And more...

Boats are fun - they move at sprinting speed, and you can take a passenger - who can conduct drive-by shootings.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:25:41 pm by Errol »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 07:09:20 pm »

Like I said in my main post though, do not piss of the Goon community. Delamore has only been killed once, by a highly organized and highly effective raid done by Xanadu and his/her strongest warriors. As far as I can tell, the Goons have been hunting down the Hounds since then.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 08:19:28 pm »

I'd just like to say that I've only been robbed once since the map reset, and that probably wouldn't have happened if I had claimed my place back then. I also didn't get attacked, but I did die by drowning once.

Anyway, the world is actually 5x5 right now, so it's as big as 25 old maps. Plenty of space for seclusion.

Also, vending stands are awesome. I love collecting cash from my own, and then going on a shopping spree at other stands. You can get some great bargains on them. And even my stand has only been robbed twice, and the second time I retrieved the goods. So, in total I lost about 200 copper coins on thefts, and made about 20 000 through sales.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 09:54:56 am »

I still check the forums regularly for updates, with half an eye on the general discussion.

Community has a lot of immature folks, if your in your mid-twenties like myself, or older, it can be a bit of a turn off.

I will certainly consider getting back into it in the future, once the LP system is replaced with something better and existing chars are wiped (hence beta?)
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:57 am »

Also, vending stands are awesome. I love collecting cash from my own, and then going on a shopping spree at other stands. You can get some great bargains on them. And even my stand has only been robbed twice, and the second time I retrieved the goods. So, in total I lost about 200 copper coins on thefts, and made about 20 000 through sales.

I'll probably set up one some time soon. Where? At Brodgar? Is it wise to use your claim for this?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 02:16:52 pm »

Yup, the marketplace east of Ring of Brodgar is your best bet. My own stand is there, East Hearthlands Trading Co. I recommend you make an alt with yeomanry for the claim, I did that. If you move towards peace belief right away, then go for pottery and grind teapots when you get it, it can be done in about an hour.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »

Some guy came out of nowhere, chatted for a bit, and then took my sweet boat.  :(

"Are you new" really is a suspicious question, I guess.

Anyway, I've been playing this since like two days ago.  I built a little camp on the riverside across from the newbie area.  Earlier I tried venturing West, but I attracted an aggressive boar and it laid me out.

I'm not sure where the newbie area is on the map.  :\  Novigrad, specifically.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 12:36:32 am »

This game would rock so much harder if it were single player.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 02:33:13 am »

This game would rock so much harder if it were single player.

Are you serious?? The only thing that makes me at all interested is the potential inherent in the emergent complexity made possible by it being multi-player.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 02:36:33 am »

I was tempted to try it with the shiny "2.0", as I never played the original (I hate grinding), but the bitching about it has dissuaded me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82