Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 21486 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »

I want to smoke wherever it doesn't bother anyone, so mind all you like  ;D
or morphine, and without a medical use.
I agree, without a medical use i believe ya know.. Ya.
On the topic of medical use, my father used to use it. He had cancer[not really confined to one place, at the end it was all over his body], agent orange wich was employed by the Vietnamese in the war. Anyway, if he didn't take it along with his at least 20 other daily meds he just couldn't get up without that constant pain. So yes, i think those things should be employed for medical use only-Except for smoking. People in todays age are stressed, and i've seen the effects of certain things-Alcohol is by far means worse then smoking. It destroys familys, kills people[Yea, smoking does too but its over a long, long period of time], ruin lives, etc. My sister is addicted to it and it's become such a problem that 2 weeks ago we were forced to have her move, and she just had a fit. She always came home drunk & bla bla bla. Anyway, she's in her 40s, and we didn't just kick her out, as she had the life insurance money.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2009, 11:01:28 pm »

Hate to nick-pick, but I'm pretty sure that Orange was used against charlie, not by him. It's a possibly internationally illegal chemical for killing trees, which would help US more than them.

I've got very few problems with smoking. Or drinking. Of course, about half of the people at my place of occupation smoke, and most have them have solemnly cautioned me against it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2009, 11:03:01 pm »

Exactly; you can smoke in private all you like, the objection occurs when you smoke in public.
People's definitions of "public" here differs, though, and the trend seems to be towards expansion.  How far away should smokers have to be from entrances?  What if you live in an apartment?  What if I own a restaurant and live upstairs?  What if my restaurant is a hookah bar?  At the least, business owners should have the option of using ventilation systems in the place of bans.

I get the arguments of the pro-ban folks, but they're all predicated on the idea that either there's a right to smoke everywhere in public or nowhere in public.  Wouldn't the best option be to have both non-smoking and smoking establishments, allowing those who are concerned about second-hand smoke to easily avoid it without coercing the people who couldn't care less?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2009, 11:07:25 pm »

That leads to strange economic situations.

For instance: When it's possible for a bar/restaurant to disallow smoking or allow it, as it chooses, how many smoking-banned bars/restaurants do you actually see?

The problem here is that the people who are seriously bothered by the smoke are in the minority, including those who have severe health problems that are exacerbated by second-hand smoke, and the dangers of secondhand smoke/poor indoor air quality as a result aren't always apparent enough to the average joe for him to care, even when he should.

Regarding the minority bit: Places having to be handicapped-accessible requires more resources, planning, etc. to be spent on the design and construction and upkeep of an establishment. If you just allowed placed to NOT be handicapped-accessible, then barely anyplace would be, because they make up enough of a minority that nobody would care. The same goes for people who have serious reactions to cigarette smoke.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2009, 11:09:30 pm »

Exactly; you can smoke in private all you like, the objection occurs when you smoke in public.
People's definitions of "public" here differs, though, and the trend seems to be towards expansion.  How far away should smokers have to be from entrances?  What if you live in an apartment?  What if I own a restaurant and live upstairs?  What if my restaurant is a hookah bar?  At the least, business owners should have the option of using ventilation systems in the place of bans.

I get the arguments of the pro-ban folks, but they're all predicated on the idea that either there's a right to smoke everywhere in public or nowhere in public.  Wouldn't the best option be to have both non-smoking and smoking establishments, allowing those who are concerned about second-hand smoke to easily avoid it without coercing the people who couldn't care less?

I dunno about you guys; but that is the case down here. The problem is smoking in places like streets and corridors.

For instance: When it's possible for a bar/restaurant to disallow smoking or allow it, as it chooses, how many smoking-banned bars/restaurants do you actually see?

Most of them actually; generally they provide a small outdoor area for smoking, and ban it everywhere else.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2009, 11:18:24 pm »

Just provide tax benefits to non-smoking establishments, adjusting the rate until you have a nice mix.

I dunno about you guys; but that is the case down here. The problem is smoking in places like streets and corridors.
Wait, are you saying you want to ban smoking in the streets?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:05 pm »

Just provide tax benefits to non-smoking establishments, adjusting the rate until you have a nice mix.

Wait, are you saying you want to ban smoking in the streets?

Actually i don't want to ban smoking anywhere, i would much rather smokers just give some respect to the people around them before they light up.

But as that is extremely unlikely, i'll settle for banning it everywhere except where it says you can.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »

I wouldnt ban it on the street. Not much point in that. The issue with passive smoking is in enclosed spaces, in principle.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:55 am »

First, no, I do not have a responsibility to do what you tell me.  It's your responsibility to convince me to stop.  Or convince the legislature to make me stop.

You do, however, have a responsibility to not violate my fundamental rights, like my right to privacy, or my right to breathe.

Otherwise; it should be fine if i go pipe bonfire smoke into your house; after all, i don't have any responsibility to not do that do i?
No one has any rights. Nothing is to say any rights should be given to anyone. Be thankful that you even breath this very moment.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2009, 12:03:24 am »

First, no, I do not have a responsibility to do what you tell me.  It's your responsibility to convince me to stop.  Or convince the legislature to make me stop.

You do, however, have a responsibility to not violate my fundamental rights, like my right to privacy, or my right to breathe.

Otherwise; it should be fine if i go pipe bonfire smoke into your house; after all, i don't have any responsibility to not do that do i?
No one has any rights. Nothing is to say any rights should be given to anyone. Be thankful that you even breath this very moment.

Fraid it doesn't work like that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2009, 12:03:45 am »

No one has any rights. Nothing is to say any rights should be given to anyone.
Someone failed law 101.  ::)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2009, 12:09:31 am »

I am not saying that in this collection of country's that no one has any rights. But what is to say anything should have any right? Nothing. People thought of the concept and so it became.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2009, 12:16:35 am »

That's an oxymoron.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2009, 12:53:37 am »

I am not saying that in this collection of country's that no one has any rights. But what is to say anything should have any right? Nothing. People thought of the concept and so it became.
People decided that people should have rights. Poof, we now have rights.

People decided that people should build skyscrapers. Poof, we now have skyscrapers.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 30, 2009, 12:55:55 am »

Most of them actually; generally they provide a small outdoor area for smoking, and ban it everywhere else.

Really? Weird. When I was a kid, it was never like that, and it was irritating. By "kid" I mean until relatively recent years, actually.

I think atomicwinter's just saying that rights are defined by people and aren't divinely handed down or anything like that; we decide which rights people should have based on our system of ethics and blah blah blah.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30