Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Which results in a better DF experience: CPU power or RAM?  (Read 2680 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which results in a better DF experience: CPU power or RAM?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 01:43:09 am »

That's not what I said.

I said that it IS theoretically possible to spread the load from a single process across multiple CPU/cores, but that it'll just alternate between them rather than running it on both at the exact same time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 01:44:51 am »

That's not what I said.

I said that it IS theoretically possible to spread the load from a single process across multiple CPU/cores, but that it'll just alternate between them rather than running it on both at the exact same time.
The point I was trying to make is that DF is not run on multiple cores. Which is true and swapping DF from core to core doesn't in fact make DF run faster unless you're attempting to run many other programs at the same time as DF.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 02:05:32 am »

Yeah, and I'm sure there's some level of overhead involved.

If possible, it's probably best to just make sure a single core is available for DF and DF only. I guess.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »

It spreads it out, but NOT in the sense of executing it in parallel! It's just distributing the CPU load for reasons of heat and whatever else.

In other words: It's not making DF run on two cores at once, technically. It's running some on one core, then some on another, then some on the first, etc. So it's the equivalent of lifting boxes or filing papers and alternating which hand you use, as opposed to filing two papers or lifting two boxes at once (one with each hand).

yes, this. Most modern multiprocessor/multicore systems will perform load balancing on their cores to prevent errors or defects caused by the concentration of heat that could occure if one core was pegged all the time while the others were idle.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 02:43:56 pm »

Also, there is some load that can be offloaded onto a video card. I noticed a significant jump in performance going from no video card to having a mid-grade one.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 04:03:54 pm »

the 40d# series has some openGL speedups.

RAM is pointless as a limiting factor, DF takes almost none.
CPU on one core is the limit. an openGL capable GPU can take some, but not (or even close) to all of this.

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

nitnatsnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »

After a certain point, RAM has very limited returns. Provided you have enough RAM for your OS and all the other current applications running then DF will probably not need more than 200-300mb except under the most taxing circumstances.

Unless you are using a computer with less than 1gb of RAM, a faster CPU is, under almost all circumstances, a better choice.

A basic RAM guideline for the average Microsoft based PC is as follows:

Windows XP/2000 - 1gb
Windows Vista/7 - 2gb

I have no idea for Mac & Linux but I imagine you could get away with a bit less. That said RAM is so very cheap for the most part, and even the most basic of new PC's come with 2gb or more it seems these days.

For a CPU, I guess you want to maximize overall clock speed. So for Intel this would be the Extreme Edition CPU's or for AMD the Black Edition CPU's. Overclocking could likely get you another few FPS, but if you don't know what your doing then I don't recommend it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 12:27:03 am »

One thing people are forgetting here is that RAM gets piss-easy to upgrade.

If you have 2GB taking up two slots, and have two slots free, you can just go grab another 2GB later. And even if you need to REPLACE what you have, usually it's not super-expensive.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 12:51:13 am »

I have never seen DF hit anything more than a gig of RAM, ever.
If you have 2GB of RAM on XP or 3-4 on Vista/7, you're fine on RAM.

CPU cycles are by far the most strained resource for DF.
And they're also not getting very much more abundant as we advance anymore; everybody's adding more cores, not more raw processing power per core, and DF can only use one core.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 03:49:12 am »

New architectures are still, for the most part, better. The megahertz myth is, well, a myth.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 06:41:45 am »

Megahertz is like engine litres. A higher number is normally better, but other efficiencies make a lot of difference. e.g. in a car these are things like fuel injector, turbo, superchargers, multiple valves on cylinders, cylinder layout, even the fuel used and accuracy of piston fit to the cylinder. On a cpus it's things like branch prediction accuracy, branch prediction failure stall time, cache size and speed, pipeline length, out-of-order execution ability, extension support (SSEx), number of hardware threads (aka hyperthreading), speed of bus, speed of memory controller, and dynamic frequency scaling response time (to name just a few). These things only quantify in obscure stats. In engines' case, you get horsepower / torque curves. In cpus' case you get MIPS or GFLOPS. Even then the actual performance depends on what you're doing (a high horsepower/torque engine won't win you any races if it is in a massive truck).

The pentium 4 is a good example of a cpu which went for all-out megahertz speed at the expense of everything else, most specifically pipeline length (far too long) and branch prediction failure stall time (also far too long), which resulted in it getting outperformed by cpus with 2/3rds the megahertz speed (AMD Athlon XP).

These days it's a closer race, but megahertz is getting more and more useless as a performance measurement. Pretty much every cpu is around 2.5GHz these days, and some really suck. Look at benchmarks.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 04:09:33 pm »

New architectures are still, for the most part, better. The megahertz myth is, well, a myth.

For a given architecture, higher mhz will be faster for dwarf fortress. Its not a myth. An i7 920 will be slower than an i7 975. An Athlon II x2 420 will be faster (for dwarf fortress) than an Athlon II x3 435.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »

For a given architecture, higher mhz will be faster for dwarf fortress. Its not a myth.

Well, yeah, obviously if all other things are equal, higher clock speed is better.

The myth is "higher clock speed = better CPU performance" as a general statement, which, as Thief^ elaborated upon quite well, is not always true.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 02:07:33 am »

RAM is usually present in sufficient quantities- if you're doing a steep 16x16, you'll need the gigabytes. Sitesize is more likely to eat your RAM than anything else.

CPU speed is more important- creatures running around.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 05:28:51 am »

An i7 920 will be slower than an i7 975.
Except intel gimped the die on the new i7s and you can overclock 920s that much more than the 975s. They got sick of everyone making a $200 chip faster than their $1000 EXTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE edition. limited 8x pciE on sli/crossfire too but that doesn't really affect DF ;)
Pages: 1 [2]