Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which results in a better DF experience: CPU power or RAM?  (Read 2684 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which results in a better DF experience: CPU power or RAM?
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:39 pm »

If I had a choice between a less powerful CPU and more RAM, and a more powerful CPU at the cost of less RAM, which would be better for an optimal DF experience (read: more FPS)?

Honestly irrelevant since RAM is rather cheap nowadays, but I'm still curious as to which matters more.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:15:13 pm by Alexei403 »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Which results in a better DF experience: CPU power or RAM?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:02:57 am »

depends. Is the more powerful CPU more powerful due to higher clock speed? or due to more cores?

DF will get more benefit from a high clock speed than more cores and more ram.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:32:05 am »

Both. Whatever you're running, DF will max it out.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 04:24:54 am »

I haven't done extensive research on this or anything but would suggest that:

* RAM is very handy for DF to use - up to a point.
* After that, you want as many clock cycles as you can get.
* Having multiple cores isn't directly useful for DF, as it's a single process/thread application, however - having multiple cores means that anything else that's running at the same time (other applications, your OS, etc.) will not impact DF's performance as much.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:40:51 am »

DF always maxes out my CPU first, be it my powerful desktop or my crap laptops.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:23:25 am »

RAM can be a limiting factor, but only matters up to a point. If it has all the RAM it needs, that's basically it.

CPU continues to matter no matter how much better it is, because, well, the game will run faster, and it's not like you're going to get a CPU so fast that other things limit speed.

But "more powerful" for a CPU is ambiguous. More cores don't do a hell of a lot for DF, although it's nice to have two.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 01:00:51 pm »

DF DOES benefit from dual-core processing. It basically allows it to run on one core exclusively, while the OS runs on the other.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:47:26 am »

Yes, the main point though is: If you're thinking about getting a fast dual core or a slightly slower triple- or quad-core, DF is probably fastest on the dual core.
The new i5/i7 ones could be good for DF since if they have a one of their cores maxed out and the others idle, they overclock the maxed-out one. Bit expensive though :)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:44:58 pm »

Yeah, just keep in mind that clock speed is not a reliable indicator of CPU performance.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:44:51 pm »

I recently upgraded from a (single core) Athlon 64 to a Core i7.  The clock speed only went from 2.0 to 2.67 GHz but my FPS more than doubled for my 15-year-old fort.

At first it was terrifying.  Dwarves zipping all around the screen.  It felt like the fort was careening out of control.  Then, about the time the human caravan was supposed to show up, I got the nemesis unit load bug.  Well, I was nearly ready to move on to the next fort anyway.

I've never noticed DF taking up more than a couple hundred megabytes of RAM.  I suppose a really large map or lots of objects could push the memory usage way up, but I think in most cases to the extent that your RAM has any impact on gameplay, faster is more important than more.  Higher bus speed to the extent that your CPU can support it; lower waitstates otherwise.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 10:30:04 pm »

On Friday, my oldest brother and I assembled his quad-core tower. We built the whole thing and put Windows 7 on it, when we fired up DF (cause that's seriously the first game we played on it) and checked the CPU usage, it was an even spread across all the processors but the third one. Any particular reason? I thought I read somewhere about Windows 7 being able to make single core things spread out. Anyone know?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:10:56 pm »

I believe you're mistaken.

DF does not use up multiple cores, this is verified through toady and multiple testing.

The other cores were probably in use by the OS and other services windows was running.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:09:36 am »

It spreads it evenly, but apparently cannot go over using the equivalent of maxing 1 core out.  I've seen it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:17:56 am »

It spreads it out, but NOT in the sense of executing it in parallel! It's just distributing the CPU load for reasons of heat and whatever else.

In other words: It's not making DF run on two cores at once, technically. It's running some on one core, then some on another, then some on the first, etc. So it's the equivalent of lifting boxes or filing papers and alternating which hand you use, as opposed to filing two papers or lifting two boxes at once (one with each hand).

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:41:43 am »

It spreads it evenly, but apparently cannot go over using the equivalent of maxing 1 core out.  I've seen it.
Yeah, that's not happening.

As said above me, it'll spread OS and other services/program loads across other cores. DF is placed on one core only, the one that's maxed out.  ::) That's why every few weeks we'll have a thread about how DF should be multithreaded.
Pages: [1] 2