Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf Reactor  (Read 4853 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf Reactor
« on: November 07, 2009, 09:45:19 pm »

I was reading through the "Human Farm" thread earlier and it gave me this idea, you see. What if members of foreign civs were capable of arriving pregnant \ becoming pregnant on-site while visiting or trading? The general idea is that non-dwarven sentients can produce offspring if kept at your site long enough. Why? What benefit does this bring?

There was an art exhibit some years ago that sparked a lot of controversy. Plasticized bisected animal bodies, fecal artwork, all that sort of thing. One of the most compelling pieces though was basically a large glass sculpture inside of which was placed a rotting cow's head, seeded with fly larvae. At the upper end of the enclosure is a bug-zapper. The piece was meant to showcase the futile cycle of life and death or somesuch, but to me, it's the model for some sort of reactor which produces elf bones and skulls. Chain up a mating couple beside one another inside an enclosure, add food as necessary (if necessary) and leave a trapdoor for collecting elf babies.

Profit?
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Reactor
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 09:48:58 pm »

Maybe.
I know it works with wild animals.

Like all DF experiments, try it out.
If it ends in magma, you either did something right or screwed up horribly.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 09:49:36 pm »

Noble, would you like to be directed to the topic about mermaid harvesting?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 09:52:10 pm »

Hahaha. We are some disturbed individuals. Mermaids, dolphins, unicorns, elf babies, if it contains ☼ and is capable of binary fission then we can extract value from its enslavement!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:52:34 pm »

Sadly, I don't believe intelligent entities will produce offspring while on your map. Marriage is required, just like for your dwarves.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:01:03 pm »

So evil goblins will still happily live in monogamous relationships for the entirety of their eternal lives?

Oh dear god... I felt bad after I learned that every goblin I tortured to death in my arena was actually a thousand (or more) year old respected member of an ancient community. Now I know that they live happily monogamous lives without ever straying or letting the relationship slide, I don't think I'll ever be able to kill them again.

I'M A MONSTER!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:34 pm »

I somehow think the colorful Legends entries created justify the atrocity of shoving the grandfather of 85 goblins off a high tower so he explodes.
quib·ble

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:06:34 pm »

Goblins come to your fortress to die, they have an understanding like that.

Anyways, elves and humans and goblins and such won't reproduce, but you could always breed almost-people creatures like Mountain Gnomes or whatever if you want to create some set-up to butcher sentient creatures for leather shoes and trade goods.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:43 pm »

I've got modded in creatures called slave elves/humans that are treated exactly like pets and bred as such for their expensive goods. It's ok doing that to humans because they live such short lives and elves are elves, no matter how good a life they led. But the goblins... they throw themselves upon my spears and shields, leaving behind a thousand years of love, care and fantastic lovemaking (they have about 1990 years to perfect their technique. Don't think about it if it makes you retch, but you know it's true) to die without honour on my fortress guard. I've got to reach out to them. I swear, I will never kill another goblin.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »

I modded in slaves once.
I decided they weren't worth it when I couldn't force them to dig out my grand fortress.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:32:44 pm »

slaves is on the eternal suggestions though, go vote for it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:53:25 pm »

From a technical standpoint, what you want is to have all the females locked in rooms above 15 z-level pits These rooms have staircase floors, which the female can stand on but the newborn will fall through. It's best, then, if these are animals (since delivering food would be impossible) but sentient animals might work.

You'd only need one male, of course. I picture hundreds of what are basically inverted torpedo tubes and a huge butchery arena below, constantly ankle-deep in various forms of gore and afterbirth.

Excuse me while go get some brain bleach.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »

From a technical standpoint, what you want is to have all the females locked in rooms above 15 z-level pits These rooms have staircase floors, which the female can stand on but the newborn will fall through. It's best, then, if these are animals (since delivering food would be impossible) but sentient animals might work.

You'd only need one male, of course. I picture hundreds of what are basically inverted torpedo tubes and a huge butchery arena below, constantly ankle-deep in various forms of gore and afterbirth.

Excuse me while go get some brain bleach.

Sounds tasty.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 08:09:06 am »

In any other community, this thread would have been reported.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 08:20:25 am »

Code: [Select]
<-%% cccccccc+<-
#### ###########
   # #
   # #
   # #
   # #
   # #
   # #
    |
    v
Periodically, water flows in from the top right (the {+} is a door), past the chained females {c}, flushing any offspring into the hole. The water gets pumped to the top left, and the animals drop a few z-levels down, where they are killed & butchered.
Pages: [1] 2