Poll

Do you savescum?

Whenever I feel like it
- 65 (33.7%)
Only to correct bugs and other alpha-related occurances
- 27 (14%)
Almost never
- 57 (29.5%)
Losing is fun and savescuming is cheating!
- 44 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Do you savescum?  (Read 6121 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Do you savescum?
« on: November 07, 2009, 04:30:26 pm »

Personally, I savescum all the time.  My criteria is mostly based on "is it dumb" whether than "is it bad."  If a random bowgoblin gets off one shot that pierces my best champion's lungs and heart in one shot, I'll savescum, while an epic battle against their swordmaster that ends in two deaths and a lost eye will be much more likely to be accepted.

But to many people, savescumming seems to be an absolute last resort; if they accidentally leave a gap in the wall and loose everyone to the goblins but a soapmaker and a baby, they'll build the whole fort back up from the unskilled ashes.  In a lot of ways I admire this, but if I don't save every half hour I'm sure to loose everything to a program crash, and the temptation to savescum is too great to avoid when I have a fresh save just three keypresses away.

How about you guys?  Do you savescum at will, occasionally, or never at all? Do you feel the same way when playing bloodline/succession games?  DISCUSS

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Do you savescum?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 04:35:06 pm »

I mostly savescum for things that are really bad... If I loose a Legendary Craftsmen because he sealed himself in a wall built ages ago, i'll savescum...The big things I'll savescum for are catastrophic things.. Someone running into a booze stockpile on fire... A dragon that gets by the gaurds etc.

The only other time I savescum is usually exploratory minning, i'll mine out a vast amoutn of rock, find deposits, savescum, and then go back ot th exact locations avoiding extra digging.  The other main thing I'll savescum on is BIg things, like breaching HFS
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 04:38:44 pm »

I only savescum in situations which I view as positively unfair. The only ready example I have is of the first time I played the Dig Deeper mod - scumming after being attacked by a massive force of trap-immune orcs in the first year, before I even had any immigrants, struck me as acceptable.

The example you used regarding the death of a champion strikes me as a rather romantic situation - the sort of thing that should go down in the history books - and as such something that I'd actually treasure more than scum over.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 04:50:45 pm »

The example you used regarding the death of a champion strikes me as a rather romantic situation - the sort of thing that should go down in the history books - and as such something that I'd actually treasure more than scum over.
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for too--a good, suitably dramatic death.  I just don't think a single-shot-ranged-death counts there (now if he went down to 3-6 hits and managed to strangle the guy who shot him before bleeding out it would be a different story entirely)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:51:11 pm »

I did once, when I found a really spectacular 2x2 embark site (two tiles of heavy forest, a magma pipe, HFS, and an underground river flowing into a chasm) and then picked the wrong saved embark profile and went out there with my novelty "cats but no food or equipment" setup.  No axe, no pick, couldn't even build a depot to buy stuff.  Had to take a mulligan on that one.

That's not even technically savescumming, I guess, since I just ended the task and redid the embark.

I never revert to previous saves.  Too much to learn from Fun, and my forts never go more than five or six years anyway before I either tap out the 2x2 embark, get fed up with hauling goblin socks to the magma 24 hours a day or drop to 5 FPS and ragequit.

That 2x2 fort ended when I accidentally breached my HFS, and the battle ended with fifty surviving dwarves, one of whom was a berserk legendary hammerdwarf in elite gear who finished what the clowns could not.

I'm not above cheating, though.  I use artmoney to beef up my adventurers and skip the pesky "Wrestle a gopher, then swim the ocean" phase of the game.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:53:30 pm »

Depends on what I am doing. In games where I have a specific objective like build a castle, reloading a save is okay under any circumstance.

In "ironman" sandbox games, no save reloading for any reason.

In adventure mode only if my adventurers death is not suitably epic. I don't consider a death epic until the adventurer is fairly high level. Losing a 6 page long duel with a dragon is fine. Getting taken down by some random kobold arrow is not, unless my adventurer already blocked the preceding ten.

So in other words, yes I savescum. But only in the interests of having fun.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:10:37 pm »

I savescum a lot because I hate the initial setting up stage of DF. I won't re-embark! I won't, you hear me! NEVER!!!!

My imagination is good enough that I accept pretty much any dwarf death as epic, because I imagine it going down in the best way.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:13:37 pm »

Apparently save scumming is the main reason the "Nemesis unit error" bug happens that corrupts your save. If the program ends without it letting the game offload the units and save the game, it can apparently corrupt the file.

I dunno if thats fixed or not but I don't savescum for that reason alone.

That said, I'll savescum an adventurer if I don't plan on doing anything in fortress mode again. Its too much of a pain to grind up stats with one to just let any random bolt kill him off.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:38:39 pm »

honestly I dont even know how to save scum
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »

Very, very rarely. If it's something like accidentally flooding the brook into the workshops, or something that just wouldn't be fun to cope with, I savescum without guilt.

The dicey issue of the human siege in year 2 was the only time I did it wilfully and for a petty reason. I sent out the champions to stop the invaders, and they got slaughtered. I savescummed and the same happened. Then I savescummed again, used different tactics, and won with heavy losses.

Honestly, it was either that, or abandon. And I didn't want to reclaim.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:57 pm »

No, because I don't want to corrupt my saves.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:53:28 pm »

Only for adventurer mode. Fortress mode is almost... sacred, or something, to me, so I don't cheat.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 05:55:58 pm »

I savescum all the time.

Savescumming to avoid injury? Nah, I can deal with injuries easy, even fatal ones without dwarves dying. Savescumming to avoid important dwarves' death is something I frequently do. Soldier's war dogs, too, sometimes.

Savescumming to influence moods is something I'm working on right now.

I'm basically cheating as much as I can without using utilities.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 06:06:23 pm »

I only really savescum when I screw up.
If my super legendary, artefact wielding champion macedwarf gets killed by a gobbo with a bow, I leave it.
If I'm building a tower and remove a block that causes the whole thing to fall, killing three workers, I'll reload.

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 06:15:41 pm »

Only for adventurer mode.

I roll with whatever fortress mode tosses at me.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6