Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!  (Read 14234 times)

Angellus

Re: Nidal Malik Hasan has gone berserk!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 03:50:01 pm »

I think you are attributing people more rationality than they actually have. You can "just lose it". Emotional tension builds up, and at some point you break. It doesnt always result on rampages. Most of the time it "only" leads to heavy verbal arguing, or a fistfight. And some other times it goes beyond that.
Would shorter fused people go into fistfight more often and nearly never in deadly fights, and people who hold much inside break catastrophically when they do?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »

The US military said they arrested 2 other suspects. There doesn't seem to be any mention of these suspects in the news. What happened to them?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 09:23:43 pm »

The US military said they arrested 2 other suspects. There doesn't seem to be any mention of these suspects in the news. What happened to them?

If you could point to the source you heard, I could probably explain it.  There was a lot of misreporting flying around at the time, and some outlets got reports of there being three suspects, maybe one or two killed, some custodies, and so forth.  You may have just seen an older report from the initial scramble.  If anybody but Hasan was ever arrested, they were released by now.  I'm not sure the military itself ever reported arresting two other people, but its now officially saying that Hasan acted alone (although they also believe some of the wounds/deaths may have been accidental friendly fire in the confusion).
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 09:28:10 pm »

It is, indeed, amazing that he's still alive.  An interesting incite could be provided into his mind... although what could drive him to shoot 13 comrades and possibly old friends is beyond me.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »

The fact that he survived could actually be a blessing in disguise.  Often when such things happen, we don't have much to go on afterwards, on account of the primary source of clues being dead.  This could be a new opportunity to learn a few new things about how the human mind works, and more to the point, how we can better prevent this from happening in the future.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »

If you could point to the source you heard, I could probably explain it.  There was a lot of misreporting flying around at the time, and some outlets got reports of there being three suspects, maybe one or two killed, some custodies, and so forth.  You may have just seen an older report from the initial scramble.  If anybody but Hasan was ever arrested, they were released by now.  I'm not sure the military itself ever reported arresting two other people, but its now officially saying that Hasan acted alone (although they also believe some of the wounds/deaths may have been accidental friendly fire in the confusion).

It was on the television on Thursday. MSNBC and Fox both mentioned the 2 suspects. Glad to see both of them mess up on reporting the news.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 09:53:17 pm »

It was on the television on Thursday. MSNBC and Fox both mentioned the 2 suspects. Glad to see both of them mess up on reporting the news.

First hits are always like that.  Remember the (hideously relevant) Virginia Tech thing?  Every agency reported the last thing they heard, no matter what.  That's what you do in TV afterall, just qualify it as unconfirmed.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 01:19:34 am »

Nobody knew what was going on at first, on NPR they were saying the "main shooter" was dead and two more were apprehended. Who knows who was passing on the info - even people there didn't know better. I remember the Virginia Tech shooting, one of my friends goes there and was talking to me on AIM at 10 AM or so - after the shooter was already dead - but nobody knew that at the time and the whole campus was locked down with SWAT teams looking for another shooter. It's all chaotic and nobody knows what's going on, not to mention the rumor mill is going to be running faster than ever.

On confidentiality, as a psych major and having done internships in mental health centers, you DO NOT discuss case details with anyone unless they're colleagues who have a reason to know about the information - or in my case, fellow students in a classroom more or less sworn to secrecy so we could discuss our experiences
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:20 am »

If that was so every clinical case in any medical journal would be a gross violation of confidenciality. As I said, you are not supposed to reveal a person's personal information, but "depersonalized" case info is fair game.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 11:44:48 am »

If that was so every clinical case in any medical journal would be a gross violation of confidenciality.

Well, that counts as sharing information with colleagues.
As I said, you are not supposed to reveal a person's personal information, but "depersonalized" case info is fair game.

It has to be very depersonalized. For example, my internship was at a community mental health center in a smallish town, and if I would start describing the details of somebody's case there to another person in town, it's quite possible that they would be able to deduce who I was talking about from knowing where I worked and if they knew the person, and even that would be a breach of confidentiality.

Oh Jesus

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 12:50:05 pm »

It would if it wasn't accessible by any random joe.
if I would start describing the details of somebody's case there to another person in town, it's quite possible that they would be able to deduce who I was talking about from knowing where I worked and if they knew the person, and even that would be a breach of confidentiality.
hm, I'm unsure of the legal details, but I think that if you kept it vague and impersonal enough you would be out of trouble, even if someone managed to add two and two.

EDIT: even so, I would advice against posting it on twitter, like those kids did some months ago.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:53:09 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 01:37:08 pm »

It would if it wasn't accessible by any random joe.
There is that, but see also my post above about possibility of who's going to be able to know who you're talking about

if I would start describing the details of somebody's case there to another person in town, it's quite possible that they would be able to deduce who I was talking about from knowing where I worked and if they knew the person, and even that would be a breach of confidentiality.
hm, I'm unsure of the legal details, but I think that if you kept it vague and impersonal enough you would be out of trouble, even if someone managed to add two and two.

EDIT: even so, I would advice against posting it on twitter, like those kids did some months ago.
[/quote]

I mean, I could talk about it, but there would be no reason to since it would be unneccessarily coming close to crossing the line

Oh Jesus

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:14 am »

The Muslim thing might be it. It's probably not even political. There's a phenomenon where you go crazy and kill people, and it's way more likely with people who can't commit suicide. Instead of shooting himself, he decided to shoot at everyone and hope that someone shot him instead. It's a military base after all, how many people do you have to shoot before some sniper takes you down?

V tech might have something to do with it.. after all, university hazings have drove people crazy. A uni with high demands AND bullying could easily drive someone insane.

Being a psychiatrist is definitely a culprit. Both of my parents have a postgrad degree in psychology, which means that they're good at it. And my dad insists that the worst job in psychology is psychiatry. You sit there and listen to people go crazy. Because you're trained to recognize psychological flaws, you'd end up diagnosing everyone as insane. It works in a similar way to say, if you were expecting people to say the word "house". When people say "horse", "force", "dose", even "hats", you'd hear "house". In a similar way, psychiatrists tend to find problems where they don't exist.

Or.. he could just be innocent. News don't seem to provide much evidence on him being the shooter, just that he's a suspect.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 01:58:26 am »

He's a fucking homegrown islamist extremist.Fucker. End.

Until I get to watch his execution.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 04:23:44 am »

I got a report on this thread.  So, just a reminder not to spiral off into disaster, etc., in case anything is brewing.

edit: ha ha, bad typo
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:02:52 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10